As I was making an unrelated post, I went in and had a look at the classes I am currently enrolled in and noticed that I will soon have to decide which classes I will be taking for my last semester in college. I am in a pure and applied science program, so all of the classes I can choose from revolve around STEM fields. Assuming I pass my current classes these are the options that I will have.
    203-903-LA
    Computer Techniques for Solving Physics Problems

203-BLE-05
    Energy and Modern Physics

203-BLD-05
    Electronics

202-BLE-05
    Environmental Chemistry

202-BLD-05
    Organic Chemistry II

202-BLC-05
    Organic Chemistry I

201-903-LA
    Computer Applications in Mathematics

201-BLF-05
    Sci Statistics

201-BLE-05
    Probability and Statistics

201-BLD-05
    Calculus III

101-BLC-05
    General Biology III

101-BLB-05
    General Biology II

203-904-LA
    Astrophysics

360-901-LA
    Computer Applications for math and Physics

360-902-LA
    Computer Applications with VB

202-BLG-LA
    Investigative Chemistry

I will have to pick 3 of these which will be added to my mandatory classes (French, English, humanities and so on)
Since most people on Cemetech are:
a) Students who may have taken/are taking some of these classes
b) Teachers who teach some of these classes
c) People who work in fields pertaining to these subjects
I am wondering what is your experience with one or many of these classes and of course, which ones would you recommend I take?
I relate to none of your questions/points but I do have advice/questions. Are all of these courses of interest to you? What is your degree? You've got Chemistry, Biology, Physics and, Statistics. All four of these are totally different subjects.

From my standpoint, I'd go with Astrophysics, Probability & Statistics and, Computer Techniques for Solving Physics Problems as I think all 3 of these could go and be applied together. But unless any of these classes would help you minor in a subject, I'd pick something that goes with your degree and/or sound interesting to you.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I relate to none of your questions/points but I do have advice/questions. Are all of these courses of interest to you? What is your degree? You've got Chemistry, Biology, Physics and, Statistics. All four of these are totally different subjects.

From my standpoint, I'd go with Astrophysics, Probability & Statistics and, Computer Techniques for Solving Physics Problems as I think all 3 of these could go and be applied together. But unless any of these classes would help you minor in a subject, I'd pick something that goes with your degree and/or sound interesting to you.

I am currently in no particular field, this is why although these all relate to STEM subjects, some are miles apart. I will only have to narrow it down to one field when I move on after that semester, so for now, I can still go on in many different subjects. As for my personal interests, I would say that astrophysics sounds like a very cool field which would allow me to eventually minor in orbital mechanics or something of the sort which is something I am quite keen on doing, so I am very likely to choose that one as one of my 3 options, however, I would still have to choose 2 more and for those, all bets are off.
I would strongly recommend against higher level physics/computational physics without a really solid grasp on the mathematical toolkit you will develop in calc 3 (and to a lesser extent, linear algebra). While the computational physics classes sound like a lot of fun, my recommendation would be probability and statistics + calc 3, plus maybe computer applications in mathematics or energy and modern physics.

My point of reference for these recommendations is that my undergraduate degree was a triple major in physics/math/computer science.
*bump* How go your decisions on this, mr womp womp? Were you able to narrow the options down at all from the feedback here and pondering your choices?
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* How go your decisions on this, mr womp womp? Were you able to narrow the options down at all from the feedback here and pondering your choices?

Thanks for bumping this, I've decided to go with Astrophysics, Computer Applications in Mathematics and General Biology II (not sure why general biology III is in there since I haven't done II Neutral ) oddly enough these are all wildly different subjects, but they seem to be fun classes nonetheless. I've taken elfprince's advice and chose the computer applications in mathematics rather than physics because I am currently struggling to get through calc 2, and I don't think it would be particularly useful to go any deeper into mathematics. That's because I know for a fact that math isn't a field I want to study in and I think calc 2 has given me enough (possibly even too much) math for a lifetime Razz but I feel that the computer applications in mathematics class will strengthen my computational knowledge but probably won't have me finding the limit of an integral (this is surely the most useful thing I could ever learn -.-). It makes me a little sad to know that I will never learn about matrices, 3D functions, hyperbolic functions, etc. but I would rather spend my time learning things that will be of use to me.
Never say never: you can always teach yourself, ask us questions, take continuing education classes, or even become a graduate student one day! And if you find yourself interested in such subjects, I hope you'll do so. Those sound like solid choices given your interest, aptitude, and options, and I hope you'll keep us posted on how they go for you.
Also: calc 3 is far far easier than calc 2. It's basically a mashup of calc 1 topics with linear algebra.
This is a mega necropost but basically, I wanted to explain what happened shortly after this thread:
At the time that I wrote the initial post, I was enrolled in the general science program, which is why the courses were all over the place. I ended up getting accepted into the computer science program shortly after this thread and decided to do that instead. I didn't end up doing the 3 courses I listed above although I ended up having to take Computer Applications in Mathematics as part of the computer science program in the 2nd year.
The computer science program was actually a ton of fun and I would absolutely recommend it!
Among others, I took courses about databases, web dev, legacy stuff, game dev, networking, mobile dev, security, QA and hardware.
3 years later, I completed the program with an internship and graduated with honors.
Afterwards, I opted to put an end to my student life and started working full-time (I had been working part-time while in school), which is what I've been doing to this day.
That's awesome! I appreciate the update. What are you doing for work, if you don't mind sharing?
Alex wrote:
That's awesome! I appreciate the update. What are you doing for work, if you don't mind sharing?

Currently I'm a business technician for an ISP (which is what I've been doing for almost 5 years), I recently left my 2nd job as a JSP dev.
Thanks for updating this thread with more of your story, mr womp womp! I love to be able to talk about how many Cemetechians went from calculators to professional IT/engineering/CS/etc, so thanks for being one of them.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours