Here it is:

I can't tell the difference between the TI84+ CE's in the S, A, B, and C tier. Or they supposed to represent different make versions, OS versions, or? Also, what's with all the hate for the nSpire series calculators? Razz
KaluW_ wrote:
I can't tell the difference between the TI84+ CE's in the S, A, B, and C tier. Or they supposed to represent different make versions, OS versions, or? Also, what's with all the hate for the nSpire series calculators? Razz

The TI-83 Premium CE, is above the 84+CE because it has more features like the exact math engine.
The TI-84+CE is in A tier because its overall pretty good (pre-2020)
The TI-84+CE-T is in B tier because its just an 84+CE with some features removed.
The TI-83 Premium CE Edition Python, is in C tier because the python is garbage and they nuked ASM/C.
Here's my results from discussion in IRC. Any calculator not on this list is not a calculator.

S: Pretty much any 68k that isn't the TI-92; LabPro
A: TI-83, TI-83+ up to rev. D, TI-84+SE, TI-85 CBL, 68k without real-time clocks.
B: TI-82, TI-84 Plus, TI-86, both the CBL and CBL2 (but for different reasons).
C: TI-92, TI-81 rev. B, TI-85 non-CBL
D: TI-73, TI-81, TI-83+ later models, TI-83 Parcus, nspire with 84+ keypad
F: TI-80; 84+CSE
Yikes: anything without an I/O port to hook up your precious LabPro. Even more points lost if there's an LED in its place.

TI-86 loses points because the screens are way suckier than they should be, and they have too much RAM for that little address bus. Socketed Flash variants move up a tier. The CSE is a fantastic companion to the LabPro if you're patient.
  • You put the CSE in F-tier? You're an animal.
  • Per IRC, that CE on the top row has the exact math engine, ASM programming, and no painfully slow Python. I can live with this.
  • I'm a real sucker for the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition: extra Flash, fast processor, super-hackable. It's my favorite calculator of all time, approached only by the pre-ASM-removal CEs, and belongs in S-tier.
  • Models with a DBUS port should automatically be judged generously, and models with no DBUS port should automatically be judged harshly or even moved down a tier.
  • Although it has no basis in specs, I feel the TI-89 should be above the Titanium, simply for my nostalgia for it (though my only TI-89 of my own up until I was in grad school was one I bought from a friend in senior year of high school, that was subsequently taken away from me).
  • Bold of you to put the aircraft carrier without the TI-84 Plus keypad above the one with the TI-84 Plus keypad
  • I'm glad that you agree that the Parcus models are such trash that they don't even belong on here.
KermMartian wrote:
  • I'm glad that you agree that the Parcus models are such trash that they don't even belong on here.

Nope, that's because it got cut off in the preview.
Mr. Womp Womp wrote:
The TI-83 Premium CE, is above the 84+CE because it has more features like the exact math engine.

The math engine is different? Does that mean complex functions like nDeriv() and fnInt() return more accurate results on a 83 Premium CE?

Also, I'd put the TI−30 in the D tier because (although it's cheaper), it lacks a lot of features (and it's still a TI−calc Razz)
An exact math engine is between a numeric engine and a CAS engine: it can produce symbolic results for a handful of special forms and arguments, e.g sin(pi/4). Anything outside these forms or arguments falls back to numeric handling.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours