We're a week after Adobe Flash's end-of-life and the world as we know it has not completely disintegrated (though with current political events, some may disagree). With its long history of questionable security, I choose to say "good riddance!" but I know others hold dear many memories formed with games utilizing Flash.

What were your favorite flash games "back in the day"? Do they have ports? What are your thoughts on Flash emulators, like Ruffle?
Super Mario 63. We do not need Flash emulators, for we can just use Flash normally in a non-updated browser or on Internet Explorer. But we don't even need a browser, since we can just use Flashpoint which is an archive of tens of thousands of Flash games and animations.
Flash isn't dead, it's just become one with the Speedforce.

It will return in about 25 years, faster than before.
Definitely hands-down no questions asked Focus by Armorgames. It is too unknown to have any ports, sadly. It's not even archived in the Flashpoint archive thing. As for emulators, just use Adobe's flash projector, no?
TheDarkBomber wrote:
We do not need Flash emulators, for we can just use Flash normally in a non-updated browser or on Internet Explorer.

This is a little frightening to me because not only are you running flash player, which has been known to be horribly insecure for years and years and years, you're also using an old browser.
fghsgh wrote:
Definitely hands-down no questions asked Focus by Armorgames. It is too unknown to have any ports, sadly. It's not even archived in the Flashpoint archive thing.

ok, just downloaded the swf, will try to submit it
Yeah, just don't do that unless you really really can't avoid it. And even then, you might want to push back on whichever entity tries to force you to use those insecure things.
One of my favorite games was Electricman- I really liked the combat I guess. I also really liked Sand castle- both of these are still awesome games.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
What are your thoughts on Flash emulators, like Ruffle?

We're using that on ECEBac, seems to work fine for those educational animations schools use. For instance https://ecebac.fr/flash.php?uri=2018/PC/24/ECE_18_PC_Fichiers_annexes_24/Animation%20Principe%20du%20sismographe%20vertical.swf
Bloons TD 5. I used to start a round in the morning so I could try to play through the entire day, but usually the game would become unbearably laggy at ~round 200.
Candy Conveyor (this is the website I used to play on too), the reason I like conveyor games now.

Also probably Sugar, Sugar, and all the Riddle School games.
I liked The Sandbox...it was possible to set up an infinite loop that looked sort of like a B-Z (Belousov-Zhabotinsky) reaction (although I have since forgotten which 3 materials did that, & it was finnicky to get the loop started without one or more of them dying out), in addition to various other amusing configurations. Alas, I think I have not played it in like 10 years, & now I do not have Flash installed at all (it having been hard masked in Portage).

EDIT: On second thought, it looks like was probably "Powder game" (due to control position on bottom vs. side), which looks like there is an HTML5 replacement available, or else it may never have been a Flash game. Apparently either it was based on The Sandbox or vice versa.
It's amazing how fast time seems to go sometimes. I'm sure to some people it felt like they were using Adobe Flash just yesterday. I guess you could say it was gone in a Flash. I looked up the Flash discontinuation and someone said that Adobe made something to replace flash that's kind of similar. I guess you could say that they broke new grounds when making the software.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours