What would you prefer?
Single and a significantly cheaper, Pi-only mainboard
 81%  [ 9 ]
Two main boards that are more flexible, but more difficult and more expensive
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

TheLastMillennial wrote:
*almostThree month bump*

I've noticed you haven't been around as much so I assume you're still busy. Do you know roughly when you'll be caught up on work? Good luck with all you're doing!

Thank you very much for your reply!
You're right, I am rather busy recently, but the project is not forgotten, I promise!
I will post more recent screenshots, once I make more progress.

Cheers,
Muessigb, how has everything been going these days? I was doing a little research, and first, I'd love to hear if you were able to make any headway with this project! Second, I'm very curious about where you got this particular LCD: although I can find a European source or two, I can't find anything more global. Thanks in advance!
Hello KermMartian,

I'm doing fine. thanks for asking. How about you?

The LCD I used was this one: http://artronic.eu/pl/p/LCD-AG-C128064CF-FHW-KW-E6/1059

Unfortunately, it's sold out now. I ordered five of them back then. They were stored well and ESD safe.
If you need a few feel free to PM me Wink

A while back, I was contacted by someone who also liked to make the project. So I finished the button board and he got it manufactured. I think, apart from some minor tweaks, it worked for him.
Concerning the LCD, it's easy to drive and only requires a few ceramic capacitors to operate the LCD charge pump.
The LED backlight is optional and can be fitted or removed. If you leave it off, like I did, you should add some kind of LCD reflector. It worked very well for me.

Cheers,
Benedikt

I've just taken some photos of the LCDs and the calculator:

Note, that I stopped half-way and while the LCD works, I think back then, I screwed up the addressing porting the Adafruit driver, which is why the bitmap on the LCD looks strange.
Muessigb wrote:
I'm doing fine. thanks for asking. How about you?
Hanging in there, thanks for asking! It was nice to catch up with you the other evening about our respective entrepreneurial endeavors.

Quote:
The LCD I used was this one: http://artronic.eu/pl/p/LCD-AG-C128064CF-FHW-KW-E6/1059

Unfortunately, it's sold out now. I ordered five of them back then. They were stored well and ESD safe.
If you need a few feel free to PM me Wink
Will do, thank you! For now, I grabbed a couple of these LCDs, and I'll be in touch if they don't satisfy my needs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the one you got anywhere, although I did track down the manufacturer of your COG LCDs.

Quote:
A while back, I was contacted by someone who also liked to make the project. So I finished the button board and he got it manufactured. I think, apart from some minor tweaks, it worked for him.
That's awesome! Do you have any photos from him, and/or could you induce him to do so? Do you know what he's running on the Pi?

Quote:
Concerning the LCD, it's easy to drive and only requires a few ceramic capacitors to operate the LCD charge pump.
The LED backlight is optional and can be fitted or removed. If you leave it off, like I did, you should add some kind of LCD reflector. It worked very well for me.
That's good to hear. I'll keep that in mind for my LCDs and/or yours.
Hey, great work! Really interested in this project. Is there a link to buy the new PCB, or how does that work?
When the calculator gets released...
Me:
[Giant meme image removed by moderator]
This is going to be very innovative!
Oh my. Yes, just yes. I can feel the power of the linux snob inside me. But, can it run Arch for ARM?
KnightsWhoSayNi wrote:
Oh my. Yes, just yes. I can feel the power of the linux snob inside me. But, can it run Arch for ARM?

https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi

Even an nspire can run Arch...
So is this just gonna boot into a shell? Or is someone trying to get it to run TI-OS?
KnightsWhoSayNi wrote:
So is this just gonna boot into a shell? Or is someone trying to get it to run TI-OS?

http://contra-sh.users.sourceforge.net/user_manual.html#x1-660007.2
Mitchellmarquez42 wrote:
Hey, great work! Really interested in this project. Is there a link to buy the new PCB, or how does that work?
Based on Muessigb's previous posts (including [url=https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=269071#269071]board images), I'm hoping he'll at the very least make the source files/Gerbers available, and hopefully indeed sell some of the PCBs if he got a bunch of them fabbed.
KermMartian wrote:
Mitchellmarquez42 wrote:
Based on Muessigb's previous posts (including [url=https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=269071#269071]board images), I'm hoping he'll at the very least make the source files/Gerbers available, and hopefully indeed sell some of the PCBs if he got a bunch of them fabbed.

Yeah I checked his website/repo and they're there, but most people can't just print off a circuit board casually-- and even presenting it as a product/thing rather than an embodiment of the principle kind of leads to this transactional mindset about such things. I'd much rather there just be a good intermediate guide explaining how to program a custom keyboard matrix, or scratch-wire it from some random USB keyboard or something, than just buying a new PCB. It's a black box, and I'm not going to scour the ends of the earth for a black box when I could make a bundle of wires that works better and can be understood.

That said, almost all online resources on the subject of custom layout keyboard hardware are either incredibly nob-focused or needlessly esoteric. I know how getkey works, but I'm not able to just write an embedded os for a mini arduino microcontroller on the fly. And I shouldn't have to?
KermMartian wrote:
Mitchellmarquez42 wrote:

I haven't checked back in a while. Because I am going to forget, I will release the old project file so that people can work on it. There are a few tweaks missing but this is a board that has been manufactured before. I might make the final modifications to make it perfect.
The project is released under the Creative commons CC BY-NC 3.0 license (Attribution + Non commercial).

The project can be downloaded from here: http://data.bmuessig.eu/Projects/TI84/Cemetech.lay6
A valid license of Abacom SprintLayout is required: https://www.electronic-software-shop.com/sprint-layout-60.html?language=en
I had been in contact with one of the two engineers developing the software. Please don't pirate it, it's really worth the 48€.

Have fun!
Do you have an estimate of when kits for this will be available?
Bop It Freak wrote:
Do you have an estimate of when kits for this will be available?

Making kits available absolutely was the plan. However, there would still be a lot to do and my available time budget doesn't really permit finishing it any time soon.

I have therefore released my files and state to you, the community, to allow someone else to pick up the work.
I'm really excited for this.
Invalid_Jake wrote:
Notice that this thread was last posted in 14 months ago, and the creator mentioned that he doesn't think he'll be able to complete the project himself.
KermMartian wrote:
Invalid_Jake wrote:
Notice that this thread was last posted in 14 months ago, and the creator mentioned that he doesn't think he'll be able to complete the project himself.

True
5 year bump (do you guys even exist anymore
have you even taken the time to read the pevious messages?

"Notice that this thread was last posted in 14 months ago, and the creator mentioned that he doesn't think he'll be able to complete the project himself."

the last serious post was in 2020-2021.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours