Since last week, my TI 84 Plus has been acting up. This is probably caused by msd8x, a usb driver. Every time I use it, it either crashes in the menu or crashes when I try to copy a file (when I say crash I mean it crashed the calc). Today, I've been trying to get it to work some more, but all has fialed and now when I re insert a battery the ram doesn't clear. some things i did that may be the cause are:
-overclock my calc a little too much
-try copying appvars from the usb to the calc, msd8x crashed for some reason
-I made a program from a txt file, saved is as .8xp and tried running it from the usb. The calc really didn't like this.
Sounds like you've really abused it.
NEON_NIGHT_999 wrote:
-I made a program from a txt file, saved is as .8xp and tried running it from the usb. The calc really didn't like this.

OK, you've been doing some sketchy stuff, it's no surprise you're encountering issues.
1. How exactly did you overclock it? Can you easily reverse it? If so, remove the overclock.
2. I don't know what happened here but the applications probably weren't compatible. In the future, just install programs via TI-Connect CE since it will check if programs are compatible with your calculator.
3. That's NOT how .8xp files work, there's no surprise the calc didn't like it (can you elaborate on this?). You'll need to use a tool like Source Coder to make a proper .8xp file.

Sounds like you need to Re-install the OS. You'll need a computer and a USB or silverlink cable. There's a tutorial you can follow here.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
NEON_NIGHT_999 wrote:

OK, you've been doing some sketchy stuff, it's no surprise you're encountering issues.
1. How exactly did you overclock it? Can you easily reverse it? If so, remove the overclock.
2. I don't know what happened here but the applications probably weren't compatible. In the future, just install programs via TI-Connect CE since it will check if programs are compatible with your calculator.
3. That's NOT how .8xp files work, there's no surprise the calc didn't like it (can you elaborate on this?). You'll need to use a tool like Source Coder to make a proper .8xp file.
Sounds like you need to Re-install the OS. You'll need a computer and a USB or silverlink cable. There's a tutorial you can follow here.

first off, remember a couple of weeks ago on youtube someone asked how to overclock a TI? Well...
secondly, that false program was litterally just this:
Disp "Yeet"
Pause
The driver is msd8x, coupled with usb8x, found here, and they were built for my device.
I normally install apps via TIConnect, but have been able to install them via usb without any issues, until the app became unstable.
I was looking for a tutorial on how to re-install the OS, thanks!
I'm assuming you're referring to the LTT video where he replaces R07D and R08D, did you replace with a jumper, a different resistance or a potentiometer?
Also, beware that those resistors aren't marked the same on all revisions, IIRC, the one in the video was a relatively early revision of the 84+.
Also, that "false program" as you call it isn't a TI-Basic program. Just because you change the file extension doesn't make it a calculator program. Because you know... tokens, headers... That's why the easiest way to do it is to write your program using a tool like sourcecoder that does all that stuff for you.
Yes usb8x and msd8x are good projects and they work...

TLM has created a great video tutorial on how to reinstall your OS (among other common fixes).
mr womp womp wrote:
I'm assuming you're referring to the LTT video where he replaces R07D and R08D, did you replace with a jumper, a different resistance or a potentiometer?
Also, beware that those resistors aren't marked the same on all revisions, IIRC, the one in the video was a relatively early revision of the 84+.
Also, that "false program" as you call it isn't a TI-Basic program. Just because you change the file extension doesn't make it a calculator program. Because you know... tokens, headers... That's why the easiest way to do it is to write your program using a tool like sourcecoder that does all that stuff for you.
Yes usb8x and msd8x are good projects and they work...

TLM has created a great video tutorial on how to reinstall your OS (among other common fixes).

Millennial told me i can easily overclock it by covering R07D with pencil lead/graphite, which I did, and it worked.
So, I don't quite remember our conversation about this but I hope I properly warned you about overclocking. I do recommend wiping off the graphite from the resistor if you're having any issues. Let us know how the OS reinstall goes.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
So, I don't quite remember our conversation about this but I hope I properly warned you about overclocking. I do recommend wiping off the graphite from the resistor if you're having any issues. Let us know how the OS reinstall goes.

link to the conversation (hopefully) here
the OS re-install went fine, thanks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours