I know this isn't specifically a part of the website, but Decbot is a big part of SAX and I don't know where else to put this. For the past few weeks, Decbot has been down significantly more than it has been up. I don't know what's become wrong with the bot all of a sudden but I'd love for the issue to be looked into and resolved.

I find it amusing that Nikkybot has been the most stable bot on SAX so far. Laughing
commandz has been doing parallel testing to try to figure out why DecBot is struggling so much. Hopefully he'll have some insight or a PR. But failing that...

Quote:
I'd love for the issue to be looked into and resolved
Have at it:
https://bitbucket.org/merthsoft/decbot/src
So far, I've only seen one crash with it (outside of my WiFi cutting out or my computer running out of memory while trying to play Minecraft with four IDEs open). It was some sort of dictionary error in one of the dependencies when someone changed their nickname, possibly because they changed it during a netsplit.

What version of each dependency is DecBot currently using?
What's strange to me is that the code hasn't changed in 5 years yet it only started having issues in the past few months so it must be due a change elsewhere. That being said, if that were the case, then I would think that other bots like nikkybot would almost certainly be having the same issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.
With regards to DecBot's code, I have a hard time seeing how this could fail Laughing

Code:
            while (!irc.IsConnected) {
                connect();
                Thread.Sleep(2000);
            }

This makes me wonder if while its disconnected, there are a ton of log messages of failed connection attempts or if it somehow stops trying to reconnect even though I can't see how that would happen.
EDIT: I decided to look into the time of day when decbot is down and there seems to be a pattern there. I noticed that virtually no karma is ever given between 1AM and 9:45AM. Obviously, I know there is less traffic so I would expect less karma to be handed out, but I think this might be anomalous, particularly because that span of time isn't particularly late at night or early in the morning.
Here's a pretty bad excel graph that shows what I mean (notice how sharply it drops off from 0.04 to 0.4):

This makes me think that there is a regular scheduled event that disconnects DecBot, probably at 1AM.

The times are in EST.
Okay, it just crashed for me - the error message it gave wasn't particularly helpful:

Code:
[23:15:40] --- Disconnected from server. Attempting reconnect.
[23:15:40] --- Connecting to: irc.choopa.net
Couldn't connect! Reason: Could not connect to: irc.choopa.net:6667 Connection timed out

It's definitely not repeating this error message, so connect probably isn't returning.
There's no return statement on this line so my guess is that it continues on to run irc.login even though it's not connected, which hangs forever.

EDIT: I'm running it again now, with a return on that line. Hopefully, that will cause it to automatically reconnect again, but at this point, I'll have to wait and see.
That seems consistent with the logs I see right now (where it's not online):

Code:
[12:29:27] >>> PING :efnet.portlane.se
[12:29:27] <<< PONG efnet.portlane.se
[12:29:58] --- Disconnected from server. Attempting reconnect.
[12:29:58] --- Connecting to: efnet.portlane.se
Couldn't connect! Reason: Could not connect to: efnet.portlane.se:6667 Connection timed out
mr womp womp wrote:
What's strange to me is that the code hasn't changed in 5 years yet it only started having issues in the past few months so it must be due a change elsewhere. That being said, if that were the case, then I would think that other bots like nikkybot would almost certainly be having the same issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Well, NikkyBot is run on an entirely different box at a different geographical location (by someone who isn't a Cemetech staff member, in fact), so it has no relation to DecBot at all.
I believe that I've fixed the issue: https://bitbucket.org/merthsoft/decbot/pull-requests/2/fix-auto-reconnect/diff
I tested it locally by just cutting off my internet, and it's properly reconnecting now rather than hanging.

EDIT: I also took a swing at the quotes page, which is currently really broken. Here's the MR: https://gitlab.com/taricorp/decbot_web/-/merge_requests/1
Amazing work! Pulling your code into the live DecBot and requesting that Merth accept it into master.
Well, that didn't last long:

I did encounter one other error in my testing which involved a nickname dictionary key exception. It only happened once, though, and it was solidly inside of the IRC library, not DecBot, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Could someone with access to the logs check if this is what's happening?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours