My friend Hayden, came up with the decision to report the current Jailbreak to TI today. He is a big fan of TI and loves to report all bugs in their OSs. He told me about this and sent the chat log to me (which is annoying, this is constant). But this is just disgraceful:

Code:

Adria T. has joined this session.
from Adria T. to All Participants:

Thank you Gareth for contacting TI Cares Support, my name is Adria. How can I help you?
from Hayden G. to All Participants:

So I have a TI-84 Plus CE

And I downgraded from OS 5.6

I installed OS 5.4.0

Is 5.4.0 a stable OS?

I understand you need assistance with the OS on your graphing calculator. I would be happy to assist you.

So OS 5.6 discontunes native code and prevents downgrades, right?

Gareth, once your calculator has a newer version of the OS, you should not be able to downgrade the OS. Did you use a third party app to do this?

No

I used Cabri Junior from your website

The current configuration does not allow for downgrading with our tools. If a calculator was successfully downgraded, we cannot guarantee its functionality.

It was downgraded by a bug in the software.

Cabri Jr will not downgrade the OS. Is this the app version?

Yess

The current version of Cabri Jr is 5.0

Oh

https:

//education.ti.com/en/software/details/en/5
5EDE969CFD2484487B4556641BDDC4E/cabri-jr-app

This exploits a bug that enables native code, which allows the OS to be downgraded

By changing the certificate min OS version

One moment while I review this information.

Sure thing

Hopefully this is fixed

You disallowed assembly for a good reason, arTIfiCE.8xv makes it so you can downgrade and run assembly programs

Here is more information about this:

https:

//www.cemetech.net/news/2020/9/959/_/a
rtifice-restores-ti-84-plus-ce-native-code-for-now

Gareth, I thank you for this information. I am going to pass this information on to my development team.

You're welcome, did you look at the Cemetech page?

If you install the OS/app bundle from our website that will put the current version of everything on the calculator.

Ok. Will do.

I am going to pass the Cemetech page on to my development team.

Is this llegal for people to find these kind of bugs?

arTIfiCE.8xv is not ours.

Of course it's not

It's a custom made shell that runs all assembly programs

Again, I am passing along your information to our development team.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Nothing else, just reporting this so people will stop doing this crap to break the rules

I understand and appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Thank you for understanding, will you email me what the dev team thinks about this info to me please? I'd appreciate it so I can inform others on Cemetech that so TI knows about this

Our development team does not directly inform individuals of what determinations are made because a variety of factors go into their decisions. I will not be informed of decisions they make regarding the information you have provided.

I understand

Thank you for your time

Goodbye for now.

So it seems like TI does not know about this?
What do you think about this?
I think that was just some support lady who likely had little to do with what ti does with their OS'es. I honestly doubt anything will happen.
It's likely that the TI-Cares agent did not know about this. The development team probably knew about the exploit within a few days, tops.
In any case, there's a ton of other exploits to be found, so it's not that big of a deal if they know about patch this one.
commandblockguy wrote:
It's likely that the TI-Cares agent did not know about this. The development team probably knew about the exploit within a few days, tops.
In any case, there's a ton of other exploits to be found, so it's not that big of a deal if they know about patch this one.

Hopefully, there are still exploits to find in the future, it would be sad if TI patched all of them
It probably makes little difference. In the thousands of people that saw the videos, articles, and tutorials about jailbreaking; I'd be stunned if someone from TI wasn't one of those viewers. However, I'm not surprised their support team doesn't know anything about it. They know the bare minimum required to fix most issues.

Your friend doesn't seem to understand the situation at all. I'm surprised you haven't been able to straighten him out. Just let him know his loyalty to TI hasn't made it any easier for them to fix the jailbreak. He has done basically nothing to help them.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
It probably makes little difference. In the thousands of people that saw the videos, articles, and tutorials about jailbreaking; I'd be stunned if someone from TI wasn't one of those viewers. However, I'm not surprised their support team doesn't know anything about it. They know the bare minimum required to fix most issues.

Your friend doesn't seem to understand the situation at all. I'm surprised you haven't been able to straighten him out. Just let him know his loyalty to TI hasn't made it any easier for them to fix the jailbreak. He has done basically nothing to help them.

I tried to talk to him, but he won't listen. He thinks all patches need to be patched. He seems to be fine with no assembly.
Quote:
I tried to talk to him, but he won't listen. He thinks all (bugs) need to be patched. He seems to be fine with no assembly.

You seem to be describing stubbornness and lack of care for other people's patterns of usage and opinions. Well, I'm not saying that your friend absolutely is that kind of person (I'm not qualified for that and I don't have enough information, to begin with), but this kind of behaviour _can_ be a red flag, _if_ he's serious about it instead of just being a troll...
Your description made me think immediately of one of the most hated persons of the TI graphing community, who persistently displayed, among other forms of toxicity, severe stubbornness and disregard for other persons' opinions and usage patterns. Being excessively driven by ideology, whichever one, to extremes, is seldom a good thing.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:
I tried to talk to him, but he won't listen. He thinks all (bugs) need to be patched. He seems to be fine with no assembly.

You seem to be describing stubbornness and lack of care for other people's patterns of usage and opinions. Well, I'm not saying that your friend absolutely is that kind of person (I'm not qualified for that and I don't have enough information, to begin with), but this kind of behavior _can_ be a red flag, _if_ he's serious about it instead of just being a troll...
Your description made me think immediately of one of the most hated persons of the TI graphing community, who persistently displayed, among other forms of toxicity, severe stubbornness and disregard for other persons' opinions and usage patterns. Being excessively driven by ideology, whichever one, to extremes, is seldom a good thing.

He is stubborn at times, but he's not a bad person. He's really great, but I'm not the first person to mention him about this Neutral
Let me get this straight... He downgraded from 5.6.0 to 5.4.0, then complained to TI he was able to do so and wanted to publicly brag about it with an email proof so that "people will stop doing this crap to break the rules".

I diagnose petty behavior, lawful evil alignment and a tribe mentality towards TI. I guess you could try to exorcise him with a competitor's calculator until he sees the light, but I'm afraid he sounds like a lost cause Confused
Just run this little code on his calc, tell him it's TI's fault the results of it can even happen, and he'll learn real quick that TI sucks at 'security'.

Code:
Asm84CEPrgm
21 05 21 00 22 F8 05 D0 CD 0C 05 02 C3 48 14 02
(Without the white space of course)
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Just run this little code on his calc, tell him it's TI's fault the results of it can even happen, and he'll learn real quick that TI sucks at 'security'.

Code:
Asm84CEPrgm
21 05 21 00 22 F8 05 D0 CD 0C 05 02 C3 48 14 02
(Without the white space of course)

Does that code brick calculators? I ran it and now it's in an infinite boot loop Razz
Also he said he refuses to run the asm program, he doesn't have access to the command
Lionel Debroux wrote:

Your description made me think immediately of one of the most hated persons of the TI graphing community, who persistently displayed, among other forms of toxicity, severe stubbornness and disregard for other persons' opinions and usage patterns.

I never understood who this person was. On the older forums, they always mention how he helped to destroy the 68K community, but they never said who he was.
I have a guess though...
From reading the pull requests on the GCC4TI repo, I think it's probably the "maintainer" of TIGCC.
Time for the last millennial to make another video forcing his viewers not to update to OS 5.6.1 or whatever the new OS is.
BioHazard wrote:
I tried to talk to him, but he won't listen. He thinks all patches need to be patched. He seems to be fine with no assembly.

Try it this way:
Inform him that TI's recent action are nothing more than an attempt to control what users can use their devices for, instead of supporting open development as any tech company that truly cares about "learning" will and implementing proper security, and that by continuing to bootlick on their behalf, he is only serving to help TI screw him and his his friends out of the chance to unlock the full potential of their own devices.
Also let him know that just because HE is fine with no assembly doesn't mean that everyone is and it's not right for him to go imposing his will on everyone else. That's quite a narcissistic thing to do.

Also, you said that your friend's name is Hayden, so why is the agent calling them Gareth?
Quote:
Thank you Gareth for contacting TI Cares Support, my name is Adria. How can I help you?
I really can't understand the mindset, its not like TI has a bug bounty program, He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.
It doesn't really matter though because the dev team is certainly aware of the exploit and are limited by this time-consuming timeline.
mr womp womp wrote:
I really can't understand the mindset, its not like TI has a bug bounty program, He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Some people just want to watch the world burn :p lol jk

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours