Posting this here for anyone who is good with pixel art and wants to try their hand at some sprite-work.
We need the following sprites for terrain objects and a few more modules.
Any contributors will receive credit for their sprites as well as something else, when implemented.

TERRAIN SPRITES
Sizes Needed: 32 x 32 and 48 x 48

Stars & Related
1) standard yellow star
2) red giant
3) blue giant
4) black hole
5) nebula
6) supernova

Planets
1) Earth-looking
2) Mars-looking
3) Jupiter-looking
4) Mercury-looking
5) Venus-looking


MODULE SPRITES
Size Needed: 12 x 12
1) Impulse/Sublight/Interplanetary Engine
Here are some sprites I did, if you want to use them. I only did the terrain sprites. (Both in 48x48 and 32x32, I only have the 48x48 ones in the post)

Stars & Related
1) standard yellow star

2) red giant

3) blue giant

4) black hole

5) nebula

6) supernova


Planets
1) Earth-looking

2) Mars-looking

3) Jupiter-looking

4) Mercury-looking

5) Venus-looking
As nice as these look, they cannot be nabbed from google images. I'm almost certain the planets are. Many of these images are subject to copyrights.
For custom graphics, you're free to use images from whatever copyrighted work you want, as it's an end-user modification that's not being distributed. I, however, cannot host and transfer them as assets for a project, even a non-profit one, without running the risk of running afoul of copyrights.
No one is going to come after you for copyright on scaled-down, poor-quality images for a calculator. You're being kind of ridiculous Razz

Additionally, why the restriction on the xlibc color space. Allowing users to have their own palette would make much more sense then this arbitrary limitation.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
No one is going to come after you for copyright on scaled-down, poor-quality images for a calculator. You're being kind of ridiculous Razz

I suppose. I guess I could nab stock images.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Additionally, why the restriction on the xlibc color space. Allowing users to have their own palette would make much more sense then this arbitrary limitation.

I could but wouldn't it slow down the rendering routine to be swapping out palettes while drawing frames every tick? The background and UI elements are all designed using xlib's palette, and I'm trying to make the rendering as fast as possible. If I'm being unnecessarily cautious about this, then I'll allow a custom palette, but then if I have multiple people doing sprites for terrain objects with two palettes, then I have to swap palettes twice each draw loop (or combine them into one). I suppose as you wrote the software, you'd be best to advise on what the best course of action is... I merely assumed that sticking to 1 palette would be fastest.
Yeah sticking with 1 palette probably makes sense. But not the default one Razz It's kind of lacking in the number of different colors it has, but it's whatever.
Almost all of the images I had a base image to look at, but re-did myself. The Earth and Mercury images were nabbed from a public domain source, so you should be able to use whichever ones you want. Sorry for the confusion!
ACagliano wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
No one is going to come after you for copyright on scaled-down, poor-quality images for a calculator. You're being kind of ridiculous Razz

I suppose. I guess I could nab stock images.


We. Are. Not. Using. Stock. Images.
Why not? It's an easier way to get well made sprites. You could always make some sprites if you want. Personally, I think the ones that TIny_Hacker made look great, definitely better than I could do.
-Knights
I did make sprites. I made most of the ones currently being used.

Getting stock images is a cheater way to get sprites. Also, just because planets are Earth/Mars/Venus/Jupiter/Mercury-like, doesn't mean they need to be exact replicas of the planet.

And don't worry, I do plan on making the sprites myself this weekend. Also, as the physicists on the project, it would be nice if the scale of the planets, stars, and black holes are more accurate.
EaghanScarlette wrote:
And don't worry, I do plan on making the sprites myself this weekend. Also, as the physicists on the project, it would be nice if the scale of the planets, stars, and black holes are more accurate.

Haha, I was wondering who would be the first to complain about that. I didn't know how he wanted them, so I just did them all fitting the same dimensions, and didn't try to make them accurate size-wise.
ACagliano wrote:
Posting this here for anyone who is good with pixel art and wants to try their hand at some sprite-work.
We need the following sprites for terrain objects and a few more modules.
Any contributors will receive credit for their sprites as well as something else, when implemented.

TERRAIN SPRITES
Sizes Needed: 32 x 32 and 48 x 48

Stars & Related
1) standard yellow star
2) red giant
3) blue giant
4) black hole
5) nebula
6) supernova

Planets
1) Earth-looking
2) Mars-looking
3) Jupiter-looking
4) Mercury-looking
5) Venus-looking


MODULE SPRITES
Size Needed: 12 x 12
1) Impulse/Sublight/Interplanetary Engine


I would love to make sprites. but I need some information ... what type of sprites are you looking for? (Cartoonish, Realistic, Etc.) What is the RGB Transparent color?
Alvajoy123 wrote:

I would love to make sprites. but I need some information ... what type of sprites are you looking for? (Cartoonish, Realistic, Etc.) What is the RGB Transparent color?


Realistic. Always realistic. For now, use the xlibc palette. We may eventually switch to a somewhat more robust palette (I'm also open to anyone who wishes to submit a palette to use... just bear in mind that the palette should be robust and comprehensive... including as many colors (particularly space-like ones) as possible).
RBG Transparent Color is Black.
Transparent Index is 0.

As for the "stock images" debate... I prefer to not use stock images when I can help it. If no sprite adequately works for the particular thing, I'll use one, but I typically try to get a few original designs first before doing that.
I would offer to create some, but I think I have a reputation for not delivering on my promises, so I won't even bother...
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement