This is amazing! However, it probably will get patched once word gets passed on to TI. Maybe a more permanent solution would to be able to find a way to run a pre 5.5 OS on newer calculators, no? Regardless, this is an amazing development. Very Happy
Ne3s2-3p4 wrote:
Hi,

Based on recent development I just released a boot hack for the 83PCE working on all pre revision M hardware.
It removes OS verification at boot and minimal install version

Code is at https://github.com/Ne3s2-3p4/Cauldron

Enjoy

github wrote:
Also make some changes to accelerate TI OS code execution.

By how much is execution accelerated? Are there any benchmarks that can be shared? I do not have a compatible calculator to test this myself. Thank you very much for this new exploit. Smile
I have updated my ti-84 plusCE to the new 5.6 OS. Since then my converted text files fail to show on the calculator. Is there any text converter and app available that could enable me copy text files on the new OS? I would be grateful.
What app(s) were you using prior to 5.6 for your text files? I haven't seen any news about TI impacting such things with the update - perhaps it's an anti-cheating measure of some kind?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Any other updates? What are we doing to try and come to terms with TI? What are people doing to try and spread the word? Is there any plan?

I've been doing my best, making articles, making a video, posting around reddit but I feel as though I'm doing it alone. Especially since I only made my reddit account a few days ago, my low karma and unknown reputation have made it exceedingly difficult to promote my video (I'm recognized as a 'website with a reddit account' right now; this got me banned from r/gadgets). When I create original articles, it gets taken down by low-karma-moderation bots. When the article is manually approved 26 hours later, dozens of new articles bury mine and it's never seen. This just happened to my article on r/education. I need help from those who have been around reddit longer, have more karma, and have a good reputation to spread articles and the news to educators!

I know we got our wave of press when the news finally got picked up by tech channels but I think we've been targeting the wrong people. Sure a lot of tech people saw this news but how many teachers and educators that actually have big influence over TI saw it? I believe we need to try and inform the teachers out there about this ordeal and explain why TI's action is unjust and what they can do to help us. But I need to know that there's people out there willing to help me; otherwise it feels like I'm fighting a lost cause.

yeah, reddit kinda sucks
Well, I've spent another few hours writing another article but this time I'm targeting teachers. Hopefully this can give us some valuable information about what feedback TI is getting from the people they actually care about. Go give it an upvote so it's not buried like my last attempt. Laughing
inb4 you get banned again
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
Haha, not this time!

I ended up with a few good, detailed responses (r/teachers | r/matheducation), I suggest you guys read some of them! It seems like teachers just don't care enough about cheating to use Exam Mode, and they don't seem to care if ASM stays around or not. Many of them are hoping that quarantine winds up phasing out physical calculators in place of things like Desmos or GeoGebra.

I believe most of my responses were teachers in the USA so these replies don't surprise me very much. The opinions probably differ in Europe where Exam Mode is more required. If there's a way I can contact that audience, I'd love to know!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
I suggest you guys read some of them! It seems like teachers just don't care enough about cheating to use Exam Mode, and they don't seem to care if ASM stays around or not. Many of them are hoping that quarantine winds up phasing out physical calculators in place of things like Desmos or GeoGebra.

If this is the case and many of them don't care enough about cheating, and/or (from what I read) seem equally miffed about the removal of features outside of exam mode even if they don't fully understand why it matters, what are the odds we can put together a movement enlisting at least some of their help in lobbying TI to restore Asm support?
I have released v1.1 of arTIfiCE!

It's just a bugfix release to handle APD and improve compatibility with the Cabri app.

More details and download on the release page Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
Haha, not this time!

I ended up with a few good, detailed responses (r/teachers | r/matheducation), I suggest you guys read some of them! It seems like teachers just don't care enough about cheating to use Exam Mode, and they don't seem to care if ASM stays around or not. Many of them are hoping that quarantine winds up phasing out physical calculators in place of things like Desmos or GeoGebra.

I believe most of my responses were teachers in the USA so these replies don't surprise me very much. The opinions probably differ in Europe where Exam Mode is more required. If there's a way I can contact that audience, I'd love to know!

I am all for increasing the use of Desmos. I started using it in 8th grade (Was introduced to me by a teacher, I'm from the US) and never looked back.

I have also never seen exam mode used on actual tests before.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours