A link to the GitHub repo: https://github.com/andymwat/TI-84-CE-DooM

Although it's not the most original idea in the world, a little while ago I decided to write DOOM in C for the TI-84. I already had some experience writing a raycaster in C#, so I ported it to C. I took a break from working on it about a month ago, but I thought I'd share it here.
Current features include:
    ▪ Wall, sprite, and weapon rendering
    ▪ Basic movement and collision
    ▪ A top-down map in the upper right corner
    ▪ A bunch of things that can be changed (FOV, wall height, resolution)

It's in need of a LOT of optimization (the gameplay gif has been sped up, otherwise its a slideshow), but so far I'm pretty proud of it. I plan on adding a bunch more features when I get around to it.
Yay, now people can poke this thread rather than that other dead one! Razz
That screenshot looks really good! like you said though, it could use some optimization. There's a few 3D games/ engines on this forum, perhaps you can look at them and pick up a few pointers! Smile
I can't wait to see the final product!
How do you run make command
Should I just run this on Linux?
andymwat wrote:

A link to the GitHub repo: https://github.com/andymwat/TI-84-CE-DooM

Although it's not the most original idea in the world, a little while ago I decided to write DOOM in C for the TI-84. I already had some experience writing a raycaster in C#, so I ported it to C. I took a break from working on it about a month ago, but I thought I'd share it here.
Current features include:
    ▪ Wall, sprite, and weapon rendering
    ▪ Basic movement and collision
    ▪ A top-down map in the upper right corner
    ▪ A bunch of things that can be changed (FOV, wall height, resolution)

It's in need of a LOT of optimization (the gameplay gif has been sped up, otherwise its a slideshow), but so far I'm pretty proud of it. I plan on adding a bunch more features when I get around to it.

I'm just a novice coder (even that's a bold statement) that wants Doom on their calculator (ti-84 plus CE). I don't know if it's just me, but the link doesn't work/Doom doesn't come up as a downloadable file when clicked. Does anyone have the files/a working link?

Also, I completely overestimated the age of this forum, so fingers crossed that someone ever responds to me.
Yeah, as Plague Guy said, the github repo doesnt exist. It's possibly private, which means you have to go to the repo settings and change the visibility. Thanks! This seems pretty cool, and I would love to try it.
-Knights
Github died, what do I do?
As Knights said, the repo is down, it's either been deleted or it's only viewable by certain people. Andymwat didn't upload any files to Cemetech, so the only thing to do is hope that he comes back to an 18-month old thread and fixes it. You could always try doing it yourself, I believe if a project disappears it's fair game for anyone to take up Wink
I remember downloading this when it first came out, and it ran at about half an FPS. I think it's possible that the person who made it deleted the repo either so that they could rewrite it from scratch, or because they didn't want it on their GitHub profile.
Are there any further plans on this project?
Just checked, somehow the link is back up. So to answer your question Bop It Freak, possibly... There's kind of no way to know unless there is activity on the repo.
This actually runs pretty well in the screenshot, or is it sped up? Though there hasn't been an update for a fair while?
If only andy was still working on this...
Just noticed this engine was very similar to my game PLR, Maybe the source code can help me with layering Razz.

Quote:

It is just compile the code from github. Smile
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Just noticed this engine was very similar to my game PLR, Maybe the source code can help me with layering Razz.

Quote:

It is just compile the code from github. Smile

Are you making a doom port tho?
Do you guys think it would be fair if I complete this DOOM port for the CE and submit it for download in the CEMETECH archives? I know this program code will not be written by me 100%. Should I make one from scratch, or am I able to start with the source code from the shared file linked in the author's post above? Let me know what you guys think!

Just in case you don't want to scroll to the top of the forum, here is the link.
I think you might need to ensure you have the correct permission from the author is all.
It would be good to get permission from the author but the license doesn't explicitly require it: https://github.com/andymwat/TI-84-CE-DooM/blob/master/LICENSE
This was inevitable.
If you want to try a similar program that is available already then there's Cellar 3D, a 3D raycaster maze program by PatrickD: https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/1588/x1588 . It even has textures but it's not a first-person shooter.

Someone is also trying to port the real DOOM to the CE but I dunno how much progress was made and how much work is left to be done, considering how big of a project it is. If that person or anyone else can pull this off then this will be amazing, even if it's just a port of the Super Nintendo or Sega 32X versions.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
If that person or anyone else can pull this off then this will be amazing, even if it's just a port of the Super Nintendo or Sega 32X versions.

I think it's fascinating how vastly different these two versions are from an application of principles perspective. The 32X version had Carmack helping out the best he could, and trying to make the Doom engine he worked so hard on work on the 32X, whereas the SNES version was basically clean-room reverse engineered ( for lack of better terms ) by Randy Linden who has helpfully put it up on git! But it's a different beast entirely.

Which does make me wonder if porting that version would almost be more feasible as it was meant to run cleanly on the SuperFX chip, and not on whatever Sega was cooking up in Redwood.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours