Which TI-84+/Silver Edition OS? 2.43 or 2.55MP?
2.43! I care about stability, not pretty-printed math.
 63%  [ 19 ]
2.55MP! I need the nifty mathiness; the bugs don't affect me.
 26%  [ 8 ]
Neither. I'll explain myself below.
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

KermMartian wrote:
Neither of those have ever stopped BrandonW, but I dare not do one-quarter of the ridiculous things that Brandon pulls off. :) Shkaboinka: I feel it would be better to just move on to a device without the bugs, or use an OS without said bugs. No point in doing with TI's coders are supposed to be paid for. :)

fx9860 gogogo
seana11 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Neither of those have ever stopped BrandonW, but I dare not do one-quarter of the ridiculous things that Brandon pulls off. Smile Shkaboinka: I feel it would be better to just move on to a device without the bugs, or use an OS without said bugs. No point in doing with TI's coders are supposed to be paid for. Smile

fx9860 gogogo
No. This isn't a calculator model debate thread, it's an OS version debate thread. So far I haven't really seen anyone defend the MP OSes, so I'm looking forward to Merthsoft weighing in with his opinions.
souvik1997 wrote:

I didn't know there was 2.43 available on one of TI's sites...
Ok. I believe that reliability is important, nay imperative. So that millions of people don't have that nuisance of having to figure out that "It don't work right!". Get it right before releasing in the wild!

That being said. Students don't really need a calculator more than a TI-30 or 35 to study math after they have learned to interpolate trig and other functions using their heads.

I graduated Engineering School in 1990 where I learned the LANGUAGE OF ENGINEERING. PM me if you want to hear more on that. I got a mastery of math right before being released into the wild.

I did not need a HP-41C or other programmable calculator to do it. Just paper pencil eraser and f(x) on the calculator so I didn't have to interpolate trig' tables. (which could have been calculated anyway with infinite series using + - x / on the calculator and WHAT IS IN YOUR HEAD)

Isn't that what tests are about? Ensuring you get it right before being released into the wild?

Programmable calculators are for engineers, business people, scientists on the job that fundamentally understand the underlying math behind their work. They are not learning any longer; they are working.

This is why the satellite to Mars failed years ago because some idiot did not understand English vs Metric versions of weight and mass. Because they did not learn the math.

Use a calculator in school and you hobble yourself...

Get it right before releasing students or programs into the wild!
Gammaray you have an interesting argument. However, to put this in words Kerm said 8 years ago:
Kerm wrote:
No. This isn't a calculator model debate thread, it's an OS version debate thread.

Admins can we please move this as a new topic?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours