Hi, I asked my question on stack overflow. I was wondering if you could help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63320698/when-using-z80-asm-is-there-a-difference-between-hl-and-bc-de
Confusingly, a register pair on the eZ80 is 24-bytes but each lone register (A, B, C, D, E, H, L) is 8 bits. It is not possible to write to the upper byte of the register pair using the 8-bit registers.
To solve your problem you have two options.

Using the stack to copy HL into DE.

Code:
push hl
pop de

Or exchange values of HL with DE.

Code:
ex de, hl
On the ez80 in ADL=1 mode the register pairs are '24-bit', consisting of 3 x 8-bit portions if you will.

SavesScreen = 0D0EA1Fh so when you load that in HL the 'upper' byte contains 'D0'. You also set DE=2 or 000002, which means that '00' is in the DE upper byte.

As Brando mentioned an 8-bit register assignment like LD D,H \ LD E,L then you aren't altering these 'upper' bytes and your resultant address in DE = 00EA1F.

You can relplace the register assignment with PUSH HL \ POP DE as Brando suggested and this will have the desired effect.
What would be the best way to get those 24 bits into a specific memory location? The best I can think of right now is push the value onto the stack and then using the stack pointer to get 1 byte at a time. Is there a better way?
You can use ld (address),hl to store the three bytes of hl to a memory address. This also works for the other 24-bit registers.
Oh, cool thanks. For some reason, I thought that wouldn't work
Oh that was you who asked that question!
Are you looking for something like:

Code:

ld (address),hl ; store HL in little-endian at address
 ld hl,(address) ; read the 3-byte value at address into HL

?
Yes that is what I was after. Will that work?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours