During the past week or so, I have been slowly working on a game that I have been wanting to make for many months now - recreating Maze Dash for the TI 84 CE. Sadly, the game is no longer available in the U.S. app store but there's places online that have guides where I can get the levels from. With this, I have currently completed the entirety of World 1 from the game. The way it is set up now, each level takes only 62 bytes, meaning I should be able to easily fit the entire game of 290 levels into a single appvar.

I plan on changing very little about the game and trying to emulate the mobile app as closely as possible. I haven't added any animations nor support for the breakable block, redirection tile, portals, nor keys and locks yet but I do have an idea of how I would like to do them.

Here's a little sneak peek at what the game will look like (remember, no transitions, animations, or menus are in place yet).

Let me know what you think of the game so far!
Wow this looks great!

Love the graphics and the concept Smile. This would be very entertaining to play - so many levels!
Got a fair bit of the remaining tiles done yesterday - only have the portal tile to still finish implementing. I can't tell for certain, but testing the game as is has seemed to slow down a bit but this may be due to a change in determining if a snake can move in the input direction because it needs to alternate which snake moves on levels with multiple snakes (each snake steps 1 tile at a time). Anyhow, here's what the new tiles look like:

Bit of an overdue update. I finished the remaining tiles a few days ago, meaning I theoretically had all the components I needed to make the game. However, I hadn't actually tested a map with 2 snakes so I ended up needing to do a bit of extra work to get that completed and it now only updates the map once both snakes have moved.
Current state of the game:

-All of worlds 1 and 2 have been complete (still intend to add palette swapping to make the worlds look different).
-Currently in the process of adding better animations to the game such as a shake when the snake runs into something to end its turn.
-Menu/level selection has not been started, but I know how I will go about doing it.

Note: the level counter going crazy at the end of the video is because I haven't added any levels after that so it's constantly incrementing the level.
Whoa! I love the graphics and the speed!

Also the level loading is very slick (and instant).
This reminds me of my Cubix game, but with much better graphics. Nice work!! I love the layout. Will there be other worlds (like desert, ocean, etc?) Keep it up Smile
tr1p1ea wrote:
Whoa! I love the graphics and the speed!

Also the level loading is very slick (and instant).

MateoConLechuga wrote:
This reminds me of my Cubix game, but with much better graphics. Nice work!! I love the layout. Will there be other worlds (like desert, ocean, etc?) Keep it up Smile

Thanks! My current plan is to somewhat mimic the worlds included in the game (desert, ice dark) using just palette swapping. This should be fairly easy to implement as I've already mapped what color each index is responsible for. I can probably just hand-pick colors and swap them out.
Reminds me of the Housepaint game I made a while back. I have some good insight into making procedurally generated levels for this kind of game if you’d like.
Not sure if this is a lack of time to work on this or a general disinterest towards making UI but I'm back again (over a week since my last update) to show the little progress I have made. No homescreen is available yet although I do have an idea of how I would like it laid out. Right now, I'm spending my time on level transitions which are seeming somewhat promising so far. I whipped this model of how I think it'll be tonight and haven't yet added in any actual functionality with the icons yet (they represent exit, home, and next level from left to right). Let me know if anyone has suggestions to this screen for now. I am already thinking of making the next level icon larger as it seems too skinny right now.

We received a Facebook message with the following information, matkeller:
Quote:
I can’t find it in the Apple store so I can’t leave a review. The icons on the bottom of the game & display are too close to the puzzle so when I try to move down or across I end up hitting those icons instead of moving the character. I keep losing keys, resetting the level, or exiting out of it. I really like this game but this reoccurring issue is running it. Why do I have to register on your website to report a problem? I would prefer sending an email without registering. Please fix & update MazeDash!
KermMartian wrote:
We received a Facebook message with the following information, matkeller:
Quote:
I can’t find it in the Apple store so I can’t leave a review. The icons on the bottom of the game & display are too close to the puzzle so when I try to move down or across I end up hitting those icons instead of moving the character. I keep losing keys, resetting the level, or exiting out of it. I really like this game but this reoccurring issue is running it. Why do I have to register on your website to report a problem? I would prefer sending an email without registering. Please fix & update MazeDash!

As stated in the original post, the app is no longer available in the U.S. Appstore and I cannot verify whether or not it is available in any others. Regarding the other issues listed, I'm not sure how any of them are relevant to the program being made. The program isn't available for anyone to download so I don't consider this something for me to address - maybe message the original app developers to report your bugs. Sorry I don't have a facebook so hopefully the op will see this message.

PS: Sorry for no updates in a while. I moved last week for college and haven't had much time to work since then although I was able to complete the entirety of world 3. The game does still need a homescreen and the remaining levels created (Current level progress: 90/290)
Very long time, no posting. I ended up getting COVID so I figured I would make it a goal of mine to finish this up during quarantine (I haven't had much time outside of classes to work on this). I spent a bit of time yesterday fixing some bugs that I had spotted in my old code as well as completing all the levels for world 4. Today, I switched my code over to using edge detection for input rather than waiting for the key to be lifted (which I know is a bad practice). I also made and playtested the world 5 levels! I still need to make the palettes for worlds 3-5, but I've got time. Here's a screenshot with the menu system:
The character reminds me of jake from adventure time
Oh man you had COVID? - I hope it wasn't too bad.

I really like the polish of this game and am looking forward to playing through when it's finished.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Oh man you had COVID? - I hope it wasn't too bad.

Symptoms were very light for me - I only had a light headache and a sore throat for a coupe mornings but it always got better by lunchtime. I did experience loss of taste and smell which was a surreal experience to say the least. I'm still quarantining in my room since I could still be contagious.

In other news, I was able to actually finish this project yesterday. I made all 120 remain levels (in probably about 2 hours) and was able to finish up their palettes as well. All that I had left to do was prevent the player from hitting next level when they completed the last level and iron out a few bugs. I submitted to the archives last night and it's now available!

Click Here to download the game
Yay! I can't wait to try this out! Awesome job and the menu is really cool.
I'm loving this game!
Bug: I can't seem to move in the levels. Not sure what's causing this, any idea?
TIny_Hacker wrote:
Bug: I can't seem to move in the levels. Not sure what's causing this, any idea?

Could you send which level it's happening on or a screenshot? I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. Thanks for checking out the game as well!
matkeller19 wrote:
TIny_Hacker wrote:

Could you send which level it's happening on or a screenshot? I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. Thanks for checking out the game as well!

Level one, I can't move the little guy and so I don't know about the other levels. You shouldn't need a screenshot, the game just doesn't respond to the arrow keys. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours