I have been thinking about trying to learn z80 ASM sometime in the (Hopefully) near future. I was wondering if any of you could answer some questions I have.

Question 1: Are there any good z80 ASM compilers for Mac? Specifically, I have OSX 10.9.5 (my computer is a bit old Smile )

Question 2: What are some good tutorials for learning, preferably ones that don't require too much ASM know-how beforehand?
The only z80 assembly compiler that I am aware of that has cross-platform capabilities is the z80 compiler built into SourceCoder 3. However, I believe there may be other, offline z80 compilers for MAC, but one of the other assembly experts on Cemetech would know for certain.

I made another post about how to learn z80 assembly in this forum thread which gives links to two learning guides for z80 assembly.

If you have any other questions, please let us know! Smile
Another online one is ClrHome's ORG IDE. Because Mac OS is mostly POSIX-compliant, I think that an assembler like spasm or fasmg can just be compiled for it with minimal to no modification, although you would have to use the command line and you'll be on your own for the compilation. I haven't used Mac OS since 10.6 so can't help you any further.

By the way, the ClrHome Z80 instruction set is one of the best if not the best Z80 instruction sets around. Especially as you progress, you'll find yourself consulting it quite a lot.
spasm-ng definitely can be built for Mac, Brass will also work because it's a .NET application (just need Mono). I don't think fasmg can be made to work because it's a weird pile of assembly in implementation. (The one built into SourceCoder is in fact a version of spasm-ng.)

And making the guide links easier to find:
Thanks for all your useful info!

Captain Calc wrote:
The only z80 assembly compiler that I am aware of that has cross-platform capabilities is the z80 compiler built into SourceCoder 3.

Yes, I was aware that I could use SourceCoder 3 as a text editor/syntax highlighting, but I did not know it could also serve as a z80 compiler.
fghsgh wrote:
By the way, the ClrHome Z80 instruction set is one of the best if not the best Z80 instruction sets around. Especially as you progress, you'll find yourself consulting it quite a lot.

Thanks for this page! I am sure I will find it quite helpful!
Also, thanks for the tutorials, Tari and Captain Calc! I had already found 83pa28d earlier, but hearing another person affirm it is certainly helpful. I am looking forward to starting learning z80!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours