I'm running iOS 13.5.1 on an iPhone 7 and this is in Safari.

I noticed that everything on the site that isn't one of the sidebar boxes can be scrolled for some reason and only to the left. It's not a big deal but I thought it was weird.

Here I show 2 examples, one with the phone vertical and one with it horizontal.

https://i.imgur.com/Wf52bIV.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/dzvyy0a.mp4
Same for me (13.5.1, 2nd gen iPhone SE). I’d noticed this on the new archives pages in particular. I’m using Firefox for iOS as well, if that makes a difference, but the issue is present on Safari for me as well.
I can only reproduce this when I’m signed out of Cemetech on my iPhone X running 13.3 using Firefox. Once I sign in, it all works as expected.
I can also only reproduce this when signed out of Chemetech. (Using Crome on iOS 13.6, iPhone XS)
The weird thing is, I can’t seem to reproduce the issue anymore when logged in. It only works when logged out.
Quote:
It only works when logged out.

Must be related to the ads then, since those are only displayed when logged out. If I had to guess the mobile site is still displaying full length desktop ads. Not sure why the footer doesn't scroll horizontally with the rest of the page but maybe a <div> or something isn't properly closed.
Alex wrote:
Quote:
It only works when logged out.

Must be related to the ads then, since those are only displayed when logged out. If I had to guess the mobile site is still displaying full length desktop ads. Not sure why the footer doesn't scroll horizontally with the rest of the page but maybe a <div> or something isn't properly closed.

Weird. The advertisement box does show up at the bottom and is scrollable like I showed, but it doesn't have anything in it.
The issue on some pages is that there are elements where the overflow, well, overflows instead of being scrollable/hidden, etc, and this increases the page width.

One such place is the user title text element. Remember womp's title that consisted entirely of @'s? It caused this issue on every page he posted on. (Not sure if he'll still have it in the future when people read this, but it was a thing at one point, I promise)
Michael2_3B wrote:
The advertisement box does show up at the bottom and is scrollable like I showed, but it doesn't have anything in it.

It's likely because the Google code realizes the viewport is too small for the intended ad size so it displays nothing (advertisers wouldn't be happy if their ad wasn't shown properly). Ideally we should fix that, and I can probably show a demonstrable reason why we should, and while it's not a top priority we should definitely fix that horizontal scrolling issue purely from a UX perspective.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours