I have audio that I made with HoustonTracker2, is there any way to record it directly to computer or convert the 8xp to an audio format? Or any other way? I have no idea how to record the audio other than taking a video which seems messy...
If you have an audio 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm jack male-female adapter, and a 3.5 mm male-male cable (or if you actually have a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm male-male cable, like I have, but those are rare, especially ones that fit into the link port on an 84+), you can plug it into the microphone port of a computer and record it with something like Audacity or ffmpeg. (also make sure you have a good quality cable, there was some signal leakage for me so I ended up using an adapter and a different cable) The audio will probably be too loud though, so you might want to add some kind of analog volume control. I am not aware of a way to convert the 8xp to audio directly (maybe it exists? but I assume you have tried searching online for such a thing already), but I think there was one emulator that could play sound sent to the link port (not sure which one it was, saw it in a YouTube video once). You could also try to record that, preferably using something akin to PulseAudio's loopback / audio output monitor.
I'm not sure I can recommend plugging it into the microphone port - most microphone ports aren't designed for 5v across them. It might not break anything, though.
I tried it on my acer chromebook with gallium OS, it didn’t pick up any sound, and on a Windows computer, which..the audio was so quiet i had to do an amplify effect twice just to hear it, and it sounded pretty bad. Is there any way to make it louder and hear-able?
artificialstarlight wrote:
I tried it on my acer chromebook with gallium OS, it didn’t pick up any sound, and on a Windows computer, which..the audio was so quiet i had to do an amplify effect twice just to hear it, and it sounded pretty bad. Is there any way to make it louder and hear-able?

That is strange. It's supposed to be way too loud, even without microphone amplification. The one I recorded for you was done with a cable with built-in volume control, and the volume was turned down to about 10%. In any case, I don't know if your cable, your computer, or your software is the problem, but try out some other options, I guess.
I would suggest using an external amplifier like in a set of cheap PC speakers, and then just soldering in a 3.5mm jack right on the speaker and turning it waaaay down so that you don't blow up your computer's microphone jack. In my experience recording straight from the calculator leads to noisy results, but sounds much better going through an amplifier as I'm sure you've discovered.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours