Which GUI layout do you like better?
GUI layout #1
 25%  [ 1 ]
GUI layout #2
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

Hello, Cemetech!!! Very Happy
I will be making an attempt to create 8-Ball on the TI84PCE. For those who don't know what 8-Ball check out this Wiki Page

These are the things I want to have in the game:

• 2 player mode
  • Player VS Bot

These are the things I need to implement:

• Learning how to implement Cue shotting
  • Creating Shotting formulas
  • Borders and Bouncing

What do I want to add later on?

• custom pool table and cue stick
  • 9 Ball in-game version

What I'm currently working on?

• GUI drawings Very Happy
  • Sprites Smile
It’s going to be tough to figure out collisions for this project, so I would figure that out first. The rest, like bouncing off the edges and detecting pockets, should be really easy. Good luck!
The good thing is collisions between circular bodies is pretty straightforward. It would be neat to have this kind of game on the CE Smile.
epsilon5 wrote:
It’s going to be tough to figure out collisions for this project, so I would figure that out first. The rest, like bouncing off the edges and detecting pockets, should be really easy. Good luck!

I have not really started on the the code I am still working on the sprites edge collisions seem very easy I shoud just set restrictions of where the ball can go. Poscket detecting may be a bit challenging. Thank you Smile

tr1p1ea wrote:
The good thing is collisions between circular bodies is pretty straightforward. It would be neat to have this kind of game on the CE Smile.

For circular bodies I should be using the this formula A=πr2. I then need to find a way to make the ball bounce of each other which will be a bit complicated. I may just use linear equations for bounce off, I really don't know which way to combat this. There are many soulutions to doing this.

Update Smile

• I have finished the 8-balls sprites!! <[15x15] {View here}
    the are a total of 80 ball sprites also 15x15 each. so if each sprite is 15x15 that means one sprites takes up 225 bytes if you times that by the total amount of 8 ball sprites(80) it is eqaul to 18000 bytes.
    "hopeful saving it in appvars will help with size?"

• I also finished the table and Cue stick!! Smile <[32x64] <[3x32]

Just some I candy "If you want custom cue table"

Now I will be working on GUI and UI drawings!! Smile
epsilon5 wrote:

I recommend using vectors, one for x-axis force and one for y axis-force. You’ll want to calculate normal force for each axis (which should be pretty easy for wall interactions, but a bit more complex for ball to ball interactions). Of course you’ll need to research the mass of an average ball for all of these calculations.
THe sprites look great, is that a Pikmin? Smile.
What are you going to be doing for the controls? And would there be different difficulty levels for the computer? Looking forward to this, sounds fun Smile
I have been out for a while (had to deal with life). but am back Very Happy

Jcsq6 wrote:
epsilon5 wrote:

I recommend using vectors, one for x-axis force and one for y axis-force. You’ll want to calculate normal force for each axis (which should be pretty easy for wall interactions, but a bit more complex for ball to ball interactions). Of course you’ll need to research the mass of an average ball for all of these calculations.

I'll look into it Smile

tr1p1ea wrote:
THe sprites look great, is that a Pikmin? Smile.

Yes Rolling Eyes

Therad2 wrote:
What are you going to be doing for the controls? And would there be different difficulty levels for the computer? Looking forward to this, sounds fun Smile

Code:
[F5] = fixing cue ball
[F1] = shoot ball
[Arrow Keys] = move cue stick

and much more Smile
ex. https://www.coolmathgames.com/0-8-ball-pool
Quick update:
I have been looking into ball collision detection. so far I have been using the Pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse this calculates the distance between both or each ball.

here are some sites that helped me.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160418004153/http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_snokr.htm

ill be adding on later today Smile
A real nice challenge would be to attempt 3D rotation on the ball sprites... But forget I suggested that for now Razz I'll just be excited to see an 8-ball game on the CE!
JamesV wrote:
A real nice challenge would be to attempt 3D rotation on the ball sprites... But forget I suggested that for now Razz I'll just be excited to see an 8-ball game on the CE!

ill be adding it later Smile . ofc the ball has to rotate another way when it hits another ball. Razz

Quick Update:
so far I have laid out the sprites I will be using and finished the GUI layout (ill be posting later) Smile

I have used the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between two balls and react when they hit or touch (by changing color). soon I will make the bounce off each other then I will try to implement 3D rotation. after that, I will be making an array so I can then do this with many balls. The code for this has not been optimized yet that the last thing on the list.

I laid out all I will be doing this week on a Trello broad (ill post later too)

* don't worry in my past programs I never used double buffering or blitting. I have fully understand it and will be using it in this project Rolling Eyes
Nice work! This looks like it'll be great!
Michael2_3B wrote:
Nice work! This looks like it'll be great!

Thank you Very Happy . Wait till you see the GUI Razz

Quick Update:
I have now made 2 balls bounce off each other from any direction (it used to only detect by the hypotenuse Neutral ). ill now be using the quadratic equation and Pythagorean theorem to calculate the sin and see where the ball should go also know as 3D rotation Very Happy . I don't want to go into explaining the theorem or how to calculate sin (just google it Razz ). after that ill be testing with many balls. once that is done. the game will be ready for GUI programming Rolling Eyes . I will be posting a poll on the which GUI should use later this week Wink .

Tbh I thought I would never see this type of math again Laughing
I have posted a poll.
CHECK OUT MY TRELLO BOARD

Quick Update:
I have been working on multiball collision using arrays. So far I have a few bugs here and there. Each ball checks the distance between each other balls here is some eye candy.

Eye Candy:

When it turns red that means it has detected a collision. for some reason, it does not always turn red when some balls touch. I have been dealing with this bug for 3 days Sad

EDIT: I FIXED IT!! Wink " screen blit to early, they are touching!!"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours