I wanted to write a simple programmer's calculator program for quick use while programming/disassembling (look, disassembling is complicated and all five other monitors are already spoken for), but I didn't think there's an existing eZ80 bigint library, so I spent today writing one. It's got a full suite of already-optimized assembly routines:
  • set var to zero, one, or negative one (used for initializing temps in other routines);
  • addition and subtraction;
  • increment and decrement;
  • get sign and negate;
  • test for zero, non-zero, and compare;
  • left-shift, right-shift, with optional bit to shift in;
  • bit-wise and, or, not, xor, and nand;
  • and get/set bit.
Multiplication and division are also implemented, but in rather-less-optimized C. For my immediate needs, optimizing multiplication and division aren't worth the trouble, but I've created this topic to encourage our optimization experts to give it a try. For quick reference, the current implementation has BIG_INT_SIZE set to 16 (i.e. 128 bits), and numbers are stored little-endian.

Screen shot of test program:

n1 = 0x12345678901234567890123456789012
n2 = 0x11111111111111111111111111111111
n3 = 0x123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF0
n4 = 0x1DEADBEEF4C0FFEE
prod = 0xDEADBEEF times 0x41COFFEE

I'm also wondering about the API. The worst offender is that I've typed BigInt_t as just uint8_t instead of a proper struct or array. I did it that way so that I could do literals in C89, but I'd rather have a more type-safe stuct definition. The size of a BigInt is currently fixed at compile time, but I imagine that if people are interested in a proper library for use with the C SDK, it would be nice to have the size be a runtime option. The convention for this library is that every routine except multiply and divide overwrites one of its arguments with the output, which is slightly smaller and slightly faster; however, I'm wondering if people would prefer a three-argument system where the output is written somewhere else.

Feel free to send a PR with suggested code changes.
This is super cool, I'm impressed you were able to do this in the span of a day.

Is the test program on githhb?
Ohh, I wish I had more free time now Sad This looks quite fun, good luck DrDnar!
Update 8 PM EDT: I have converted the exact same algorithms I used for multiply and divide into assembly. The divide is terrible but the multiply is probably merely suboptimal.

Xeda112358 wrote:
Ohh, I wish I had more free time now Sad This looks quite fun, good luck DrDnar!
Bugger! You're the best mathtimization expert here.

Dapianokid wrote:
I'm impressed you were able to do this in the span of a day.
The Z80 instruction set (and its predecessor, the 8080, the beta version of x86) is actually specifically designed to make arbitrary-precision addition and subtraction easy to implement. In fact, the first target application of single-chip CPUs was desktop calculators.

Dapianokid wrote:
Is the test program on githhb?
Only if you actually look.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours