I'm planning on water cooling a Ti-84 Plus, basically because I can. I realize that I'm not going to get any performance gains from water cooling, but I feel like I should try my best to overclock the snot out of my calculator while I'm at it.

I've read KermMartian's post but I'm having trouble getting the CPU Clock Speed Test (https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/420/42000.html) to work properly. When I go to run the program I just get back a bunch of artifacts then it says:

1M
M
Done

Before starting the overclock I'd like to be able to verify that I actually made the calculator faster. Does anyone have an idea of how I can fix this? I'm sure once I actually get to overclocking I'll have a bunch more questions too.
You can only set the calculator to run at (iirc) 6mhz or 16mhz programmaticly. Even if you modify the oscillator on the PCB, the z80 is going to max out at around 20mhz before it stops working.
Yeah I'm just looking to get it up to 20MHz so I can say i made it faster.
And you understand that heat has nothing to do with the performance limit whatsoever, and that the pump from a water cooling setup will take orders of magnitude more power than the calculator's CPU running full-tilt, while not actually doing anything?

You need to turn off MATHPRINT from the [MODE] menu.
It would make more sense to put your ROM in an emulator like jsTIfied , run it on a gaming PC, turn off the throttle on the emulator, and just watercool the PC.
Maybe you can use the Brave browser for an extra boost. Laughing
I guess its kinda hype, not very practical though Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
And you understand that heat has nothing to do with the performance limit whatsoever, and that the pump from a water cooling setup will take orders of magnitude more power than the calculator's CPU running full-tilt, while not actually doing anything?

You need to turn off MATHPRINT from the [MODE] menu.

Yeah I realize the water cooling will do absolutely nothing for performance, I just think it'll look cool haha. The plan is to have a water cooling dock so during normal use I'll just have a TI-84 with a water block strapped to it.

Turning MATHPRINT off fixed it for me, thanks!
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what speed did you achieve?
AlexTheGreatish wrote:

Yeah I realize the water cooling will do absolutely nothing for performance, I just think it'll look cool haha. The plan is to have a water cooling dock so during normal use I'll just have a TI-84 with a water block strapped to it.

Maybe you could try to overclock a TI-83+? It can be done by replacing a single capacitor apparently.
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
I interpreted that as asking how much faster turning off MathPrint made the calculator and it was hilarious.
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:

It is currently running at 16MHz, hoping to get it to ~20MHz but we'll see.

I have the TI-84+, and as far as I can tell R07D is responsible for overclocking. Has anyone here successfully overclocked the TI-84+? (I have the TA1 version).
Obligatory Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_8yQ9ZJTM8/?igshid=9yj5z40p9a77
You have to admit it's a hilarious picture.
I mean, this is completely unnecessary but absolutely hilarious. Any chance this can be portable? Razz
(late post ik)

Ah, just noticed that this for a LinusTechTips video, as i've seen their plans to water cool a Ti-84
The video got posted today, I'm surprised that they got it working and that it didn't crash although it seemed like they were having issues with flash up at those speeds. Also TI sent them a CE, I wonder what revision Rolling Eyes
They've finally posted their video:

Fun fact: I exchanged a bunch of emails with Alex about this and they sent me some swag as thanks. Branded swag usually isn't my style, but it's actually good-quality merch.
"I'd like to thank everyone that helped us out on this, particularly the people on the Cemetech forums. R.S. Barges, AKA DrDnar, and Christopher Michael, AKA Kerm Martin"

How do you manage to screw that up that badly?

I'd like to think that that was literally just Dnar pranking him.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours