Since today, I can't connect my 84+ to my computer via USB anymore. TILP gives the standard error:
Code:
Msg: failed to open the USB device.
Cause: Check that the USB cable is plugged in and that the calculator is turned ON! Also, check libusb and usbfs for valid permissions.
System: Inappropriate ioctl for device (errno = 25)
The calculator just doesn't show up at all in lsusb, and dmesg says:
Code:
device descriptor read/64, error -110
However, that error doesn't show up every time. I tried it as well on a different computer (with an older version of TILP), and this one gave a few more errors:
Code:
Timeout while waiting for setup device command
device not accepting address 120, error -62
device not accepting address 121, error -62
device not accepting address 124, error -62
device not accepting address 125, error -62
unable to enumerate USB device
device not accepting address 3, error -62
device not accepting address 5, error -62
...and of course also the -110 error from before. TILP says in the console:
Code:
tilp-INFO: Opening cable DirectLink on port #1 to communicate with calculator TI84+ USB
ticables-INFO: Check for lib-usb support:
ticables-INFO:     usb support: available.
ticables-INFO: Check for lib-usb usability:
ticables-INFO:     usb filesystem (/dev/bus/usb/): mounted

(tilp:14483): ticables-WARNING **: no devices found!
Furthermore, I've tried:
  • a different calculator (nspire cx) works fine
  • changing batteries
  • a different cable
  • a different port
  • running TILP as root
  • cleaning the port
  • rebooting, power cycling, completely unpowering etc. both the computer and the calculator.
  • reinstalling TILP, newest version
  • usb8x works just fine with other peripherals
  • the computer works just fine with other peripherals
Also, it's interesting that TILP can at least identify the calculator as being an 84+ (after a few tries), but it doesn't get further than that.

It was working just fine last time I tried and I am not aware of any changes that happened. Does anyone have any clues as to what the issue could be?
"tilp-INFO: Opening cable DirectLink on port #1 to communicate with calculator TI84+ USB" means that TILP recorded, in its config file, that the last settings used were 84+ USB, DirectLink, port #1.
For instance, on my computer, the message currently reads "tilp-INFO: 11:09:05.611: Opening cable TiEmu on port #1 to communicate with calculator TI83+". However, TilEm is not started.

IOW, that line doesn't mean that your computer detected your 84+: it clearly didn't, as shown by the kernel log messages and the fact that lsusb doesn't pick it up.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
means that TILP recorded, in its config file, that the last settings used were 84+ USB, DirectLink, port #1.

IOW, that line doesn't mean that your computer detected your 84+: it clearly didn't, as shown by the kernel log messages and the fact that lsusb doesn't pick it up.

It did at least once, because otherwise it would show my nspire. This only succeeds every few tries though.
At least, since usb8x works with some devices, your calculator's USB port is not completely broken.
If the controller were somehow stuck in host mode, I wonder whether the behaviour would be different from the one you're experiencing.

Do you have access to another:
* 84+ / 84+SE / 84+CSE (preferably, speaking the TI-Z80 variant of the DUSB / CARS protocol);
* 83+CE(EP) / 84+CE / 84+CE-T (TI-eZ80 variant of the DUSB / CARS protocol);
* 89T (original TI-68k variant of the DUSB / CARS protocol)
so that you can try to connect that to the misbehaving 84+ through the short mini-A male <-> mini-B male cable ("unit-to-unit cable"), plugged one way and then the opposite way (the mini-A end defines the host) ? File transfers will work only between the 84+ and TI-Z80/TI-eZ80 calculators.
Your Nspire CX would be able to act as a USB host or device, but it uses the NavNet protocol, it won't talk DUSB / CARS.
I have none of those. All of my classmates have their own 84+ though, but given the current quarantine situation...
I got it working again, by following the instructions here and powering off and unplugging the computer as well as taking all the batteries out of the calculator and letting them both discharge.
Thumbs up. It may have reset the thermal fuse and residual Error in NVRAM of the PC.

Use a USB powered hub or redistribute usb loads across the ports to avoid tripping again the protection.

Example procedure for a HP:

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c01684768

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours