VYS Utility CE

Introduction
VYS Utility CE is a new office suite full of products that will enhance your experience for the TI-84 Plus CE and TI-83 Premium CE calculators. The utilities within the suite will all be designed to work quickly and smoothly on these calculators, with a user experience that is responsive and intuitive to use. The programs will all feature a consistent UI, and will be designed with their desktop counterparts in mind to ensure the maximum functionality and capabibility possible on these calculators. Here are the products (click on program name to download [currently unavailable]):

VYSpass CE:

A password manager, VYSpass CE allows you to store all of your passwords on your calculator, a secure place that is unlikely to be remotely hacked. The passwords are all stored in an encrypted format in an archived appvar (safe from RAM resets). Using this is easy: just set a master password, then use the organized and easy-to-use UI to add and edit new passwords, saving the website name, your username, and your password for each. You can also generate a secure password from within the program, edit, reorder, and delete your passwords as much as you want, and insert special characters unavailable for use from within TI-OS for use in your usernames and passwords. Keep your passwords secure and organized on your calculator with VYSpass.

Updates
2020-03-14: VYS Utility announced
So the current project is VYSpass, take a look at the screenshot and let me know if you have any feedback or feature requests. It is still in developmental stages, as is clearly visible, but shouldn't take more than another couple weeks to be done. I also plan to go back to HailStorm for 2.0.0 once this is released.
I hope it uses good security measures Smile
It will be very difficult to crack without the source code, so most people outside of Cemetech probably won’t attempt to break it.

EDIT- I am not going to release the source for this for that reason.
"difficult to crack without source code" is like the most insecure thing you could possibly make. Absolutely atrocious. I would highly recommend no one use this because I will make an exploit for it.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
"difficult to crack without source code" is like the most insecure thing you could possibly make. Absolutely atrocious. I would highly recommend no one use this because I will make an exploit for it.

Yeah, good old security through obscurity.
Well that went downhill quickly. Maybe I’ll post the source later and then I can learn more specifically why the source is garbage. Or I could just call it off entirely, let me know what I should do.
The graphic interface looks nice. At first glance looked like some sort of file explorer + editor with password encryption.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Oh shut up, the UI looks better than anything I've made.
Why don't you be constructive for once
epsilon5 wrote:
Well that went downhill quickly. Maybe I’ll post the source later and then I can learn more specifically why the source is garbage. Or I could just call it off entirely, let me know what I should do.

Keep going with it and don't listen to Mateo when he complains about quality. Maybe I should bring up how horrendous some of his old code is...
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Still, if you make an exploit for it, what will it be good for? Displaying the passwords to the user? But the user knows the master password so they already know them. The only use I could find for this is when you steal someone's calculator and as we already know, guys who do that aren't very smart.
fghsgh wrote:
Still, if you make an exploit for it, what will it be good for?

The point is to teach people that if they make insecure things, they will be broken. Implementing security wrong is what leads to billions of dollars of loss every year. If you tell someone now "this is fine" , then 10 years latter when they are working on a project that does security related things, they will be clueless. It is better to start early and learn rather than taking the easy route.
Perhaps there is an opportunity to brainstorm ways in which this program could be made more secure? Doing so could assist applications in the future (save game hax protection etc).

The app certainly looks slick, which is a hallmark of epsilon5's work Smile.

Any security experts here? Calc serial, flash device id's etc could possibly be used in some way.
Alright, thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. I do agree with Mateo that the security probably should be better, but I also think that like fghsgh said, most people who see this program probably won’t try to break it. The fact that it has a password should be protection enough against most people, and for those it isn’t, the (bad) encryption is another pretty big obstacle, and would require knowledge of how to read from appvars to even attempt. I’m not sure that this has to have professional quality encryption, because that won’t be the environment in which it’s used. With that said, I will post the source at some point, probably on Discord later today and then on the forums tomorrow morning. My username there is epsilonfive. Then I can change the security as requested. I really like the serial code idea, I think that C even has some commands for finding things like that within the libraries.

I also am going to take a short break from this project to release HailStorm 2.0.0, so stay on the lookout for that as well. I already have some basic boss AI working, and the boss fights are pretty fun.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours