Whenever I edit a message, I wonder whether the new count is taken into account in my total word count. I recently finally tested it, and it's not.

When a post is made, the count is added, but never changed after that.
Say I made the post
LogicalJoe wrote:
Your code needs some work…
That would place my word count at 5 words.
But later I edit it to say:
LogicalJoe wrote:
Your code needs some work…. For example…
Which has more than five words, but I only get "credit" for the original five.

As it's posting it should take the old post, subtract it from the word count and then add the new word count. I realize that could cause a bit of spam in an attempt to bring word counts up, but personally, I'd like to see it as I tend to constantly edit posts with code in them.

Edit: Unrelated, but when searching for posts by a particular user, could there be a "Jump to post" button or a secondary screen showing all the posts in a thread by a particular user to jump to? For example, I posted in Introduce Yourself! But I have to go through a hundred pages to find my post.
These are both things that make sense, but are probably infeasible to implement right now. I expect they'd certainly be supported in cemetech7's incarnation of the forum, but that's some time away yet.

Perhaps not as far away as you might fear, though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours