modding info is now here!

I have now added a much more powerful kind of IcyCraft mod: item giving/taking, and adjacent tile checking, which can conditionally cause a block update, an item drop, or cause an item to be placed in a container located at the block!

Just too bad my laptop's out of commission right now...
Still without my laptop :' (
I have finally been able to release IcyCraft 1.12.0!
This update features:
+ The Mesa, with Red, Pink, and Brown terracotta
+ The Harvester:
Stores Grain in itself if it is adjacent to a fully-grown wheat tile
Stores Logs in itself if it is adjacent to a Log
Stores Apples in itself if it is adjacent to Leaves
+ The Grain funnel:
Takes 3 grain from the container directly North of itself, and stores one wheat into itself; essentially crafting it.
+ The cobble maker:
Makes cobble and stores it into itself. Nuff said

And of course, optimizations!
Exclamation Now archives pending Exclamation
beckadamtheinventor wrote:
Still without my laptop :' (
I have finally been able to release IcyCraft 1.12.0!
This update features:
+ The Mesa, with Red, Pink, and Brown terracotta
+ The Harvester:
Stores Grain in itself if it is adjacent to a fully-grown wheat tile
Stores Logs in itself if it is adjacent to a Log
Stores Apples in itself if it is adjacent to Leaves
+ The Grain funnel:
Takes 3 grain from the container directly North of itself, and stores one wheat into itself; essentially crafting it.
+ The cobble maker:
Makes cobble and stores it into itself. Nuff said

And of course, optimizations!
Exclamation Now archives pending Exclamation

That's great! It's good to see that you're able to work on it again. I still haven't tried any more modern versions than the initial release (When diamonds took 64 sand, not sure whether or not that still exists now). I expect the jump in quality will be similar to the jump in quality of skipping a few Call of Duty games. All there is now, is to wait for it to get accepted.
I played the new version of IcyCraft, and sadly, survival mode seemed a bit buggy. I get no problems on creative, but survival has the following bugs:
The screen would flicker with a purple color every ~10 seconds.
I don't know how, but my inventory cleared while I was in movement lock mode. That may not be related.

Also, suggestions!

1. Activating movement lock mode shouldn't require you to move to activate it, because you aren't able to be as accurate with where you are when you want to place/break something. Movement lock should activate the other way around. If you aren't moving while pressing the key it should activate, but if you move while pressing the key, it deactivates.
2. Custom control schemes that are configurable in the program itself. You should be able to customize things like the break/place up/down keys, the movement keys, etc.
3. I've suggested this before, either you forgot about it or didn't get around to it yet. Custom background colors based on your Y layer or current chunk would be cool. If you're in an outdoors biome, the background color should be the color of the sky. The color of the sky would change with a daylight cycle. If you're in a cave, use a dark gray or black color. Each chunk could have one bit reserved to telling whether it's an outdoors (sky) or underground (dark) chunk. Hopefully I explained that well enough. Also, every once in awhile it should rain. If you're in an outdoors area, the background should be darkened slightly and a rain animation (A bunch of blue rectangles moving downwards, maybe diagonally?) should be played over it.
4. Biome smoothing. When two different biomes meet, it's easy to tell where one ends and another begins. Perhaps you could add a transition between the biomes.

Above: Smooth transition
Below: Basically what currently exists

The jump in quality did not disappoint, ignoring the bugs. The structures and biomes add to the exploration well.
slimeenergy wrote:
I played the new version of IcyCraft, and sadly, survival mode seemed a bit buggy. I get no problems on creative, but survival has the following bugs:
I don't know how, but my inventory cleared while I was in movement lock mode. That may not be related.

Also, suggestions!

1. Activating movement lock mode shouldn't require you to move to activate it, because you aren't able to be as accurate with where you are when you want to place/break something. Movement lock should activate the other way around. If you aren't moving while pressing the key it should activate, but if you move while pressing the key, it deactivates.
2. Custom control schemes that are configurable in the program itself. You should be able to customize things like the break/place up/down keys, the movement keys, etc.
3. I've suggested this before, either you forgot about it or didn't get around to it yet. Custom background colors based on your Y layer or current chunk would be cool. If you're in an outdoors biome, the background color should be the color of the sky. The color of the sky would change with a daylight cycle. If you're in a cave, use a dark gray or black color. Each chunk could have one bit reserved to telling whether it's an outdoors (sky) or underground (dark) chunk. Hopefully I explained that well enough. Also, every once in awhile it should rain. If you're in an outdoors area, the background should be darkened slightly and a rain animation (A bunch of blue rectangles moving downwards, maybe diagonally?) should be played over it.
4. Biome smoothing. When two different biomes meet, it's easy to tell where one ends and another begins. Perhaps you could add a transition between the biomes.

The jump in quality did not disappoint, ignoring the bugs. The structures and biomes add to the exploration well.

The red flashing is hunger. Check the hearts on the hotbar. Eat apples and/or bread with the window key to recover.
The inventory cleared because you died of starvation.

1: if it locked as the break or place keys were pressed, the keys would need to be pressed at the same time.
2: that would make the arrow keys slower, and unable to be mashed in any combination AFAIK.
3: I haven't gotten around to it yet
4: that would make the game run at less than half the speed, but I will look into it.
slimeenergy wrote:

Also, suggestions!

The red flashing is hunger. Check the hearts on the hotbar. Eat apples and/or bread with the window key to recover.
The inventory cleared because you died of starvation.

1: if it locked as the break or place keys were pressed, the keys would need to be pressed at the same time.
2: that would make the arrow keys slower, and unable to be mashed in any combination AFAIK.
3: I haven't gotten around to it yet
4: that would make the game run at less than half the speed, but I will look into it.

I didn't explain #4 very well at all now that I look back on it. In fact, I was not even close to articulating what I was thinking of. I apologize for that. It's probably quite noticeable just how tired I am at the time of writing this. I'll also rewrite #1.

#1: This suggestion is completely invalid as I swapped the controls around in my brain for some inexplicable reason.
#4: Biome dithering. It would be handled in the world generator. Images below explain what I really mean.

Image on the left: Two chunks before biome dithering.
Image on the right: Two chunks after dithering.

More (probably incomplete Evil or Very Mad ) suggestions:

The red flashing when your hunger goes down feels too distracting. Rather than that, I suggest a hunger bar. When you take damage or lose health, flashing your health bar with a white outline may be a good way to indicate that.
Hunger should only go down when you're moving, because you could leave the game open for a few minutes and lose everything in your inventory. Feels a lot more like Don't Starve rather than Minecraft. In Minecraft, I reckon you could leave the game open for at least an hour without doing anything and not starve, provided you start with a full hunger bar.
Sorry, I'm new to forums!

I'm on ICYcraft v2.13.4 (I think it's the newest one) and I have a report for a bug with the Survival mode.

Every 8 seconds there is this red flash across the screen and to add to that, my avatar takes damage even when I'm standing still. I get about 10 minutes or less of gameplay before I find myself respawning.

Thank you!
Oreorez wrote:

I'm on ICYcraft v2.13.4 (I think it's the newest one) and I have a report for a bug with the Survival mode.

Every 8 seconds there is this red flash across the screen and to add to that, my avatar takes damage even when I'm standing still. I get about 10 minutes or less of gameplay before I find myself respawning.

Thank you!

That's hunger. Eat bread or apples using the [window] key. Smile
Oreorez wrote:

Thank you!

How can I tell when I'm hungry? Or is it just when it flashes red? Also are you still updating? Sorry, I'm just so interested in the game Razz
Oreorez wrote:
Oreorez wrote:

Thank you!

How can I tell when I'm hungry? Or is it just when it flashes red? Also are you still updating? Sorry, I'm just so interested in the game Razz

You can only tell that you're hungry when the screen flashes. So far at least.
I have been working on a rewrite of IcyCraft, written in C rather than ICE; so that someday I can implement multiplayer.
Oreorez wrote:
Oreorez wrote:

Thank you!

You can only tell that you're hungry when the screen flashes. So far at least.
I have been working on a rewrite of IcyCraft, written in C rather than ICE; so that someday I can implement multiplayer.

That sounds amazing! I look forward to it. Are you planning on adding new features in the future? I know about the 256 sprite limit and I don't know how any of these things work...
Oreorez wrote:

That sounds amazing! I look forward to it. Are you planning on adding new features in the future? I know about the 256 sprite limit and I don't know how any of these things work...

yep, I'm planning on adding a ton more content. Perhaps I will be eventually able to add extended block/item IDs so that there would be a total of 65'536 block/items (or even 16'777'216) rather than 256.
Oreorez wrote:

yep, I'm planning on adding a ton more content. Perhaps I will be eventually able to add extended block/item IDs so that there would be a total of 65'536 block/items (or even 16'777'216) rather than 256.

Woah... do you think you could add a health bar and mobs? I think that would be fun... Very Happy

Also, I have a suggestion for a game that I personally would like to see on the calculator. It's a game called Super smash bros and there are actually versions of the game that's been made but they are not compatible with the ti84 plus ce. If you could port it somehow or if you can make the game that would be awesome! Thank you!
Oreorez wrote:
Oreorez wrote:

Woah... do you think you could add a health bar and mobs? I think that would be fun... Very Happy

Yes, mobs are a thing I'm gonna add.
There already is a health bar? Right above the hotbar Razz
I don't know if you take suggestions for games so here:

Can you make a smash bros game for the ti84 plus ce? There are existing games for older models (not compatible with ti84plusce) so if you could maybe port one? If you somehow know how to port games please port Super Smash Bros. Open!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours