I was able to finish today so I can release a beta for Windows and the CE including the first area. All the core stuff should be done so finishing the game should be pretty easy but time-consuming. If anyone is willing to try this out I could use some feedback on balancing mobs and any bugs. The Windows version should function the same as the CE except the Windows version is capped at 2x the frame rate (30fps). The windows version uses SDL for graphics and input. The main things left to do are making all the sprites and mobs for the other realms, redoing map generation to work with multiple realms, and improving the UI. There is a beta for both the windows and CE version so if you are testing it and find bugs please specify which version.

Screen Shot:

Download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zIQNxIMf-_4wGh10676B6FUJoCl8XNc3
Looks good! I'd suggest speeding up the arrows, however (and maybe look into some more optimization, 15 FPS is playable but could be better). Although I shouldn't be talking...
epsilon5 wrote:
Looks good! I'd suggest speeding up the arrows, however.

Arrow speed is one of the upgrades you can buy, but I can increase the base speed if that's what you mean.

epsilon5 wrote:
(and maybe look into some more optimization, 15 FPS is playable but could be better).

I optimized it enough to raise the limit to 20 and I added an option for no limit which runs around 25 but may lag more in areas with a lot of action. Disabling the limit on windows does not affect anything because physics is tied to the framerate causing issues if it gets too high.

The link in the previous post should be updated with the new download.
If I were you, (this is just my personal preference but) I would make the player/npc sprites top down so that it's more clear which direction they're pointing
I second that, the side-facing sprites aren’t very clear as to which direction the player is facing.
This looks awesome cats are great, but what is a Mustard Cat from the Mustard realm exactly does he eat mustard??
Sorry for not responding for a while I was trying to wait until I had some of realm 2 done so I could do a progress update at the same time but procrastination is making that take longer than expected.

johnbchron wrote:
If I were you, (this is just my personal preference but) I would make the player/npc sprites top down so that it's more clear which direction they're pointing

I can make the player Sprite top down but not the mobs because it would take me significantly longer to make the sprites so it would probably never get done.
kotu wrote:
This looks awesome cats are great, but what is a Mustard Cat from the Mustard realm exactly does he eat mustard??

I don't have a great backstory but this is what I came up with. A mustard cat is the dominant species in the mustard realm, named after its yellowish hue of the landscapes, creatures, and plants in their world.

I probably won't make very many more progress update posts since most of what I have left is making more enemies and blocks but I'll keep the drive download updated and I'll add an update log soon which will have any changes I make. I will try to respond to any other questions and suggestions you guys have quicker.
How did you make the FPS meter? I've been trying different things, but I can't seem to figure it out for some reason.
I divide ticks per second (32768) by frame time then reset the timer. Here is an example for c, I think it should be pretty similar in ice if that is what you are using.

Code:
timer_Control = TIMER1_ENABLE | TIMER1_32K | TIMER1_UP; //This goes somewhere before your main loop.

// These go together right before SwapDraw
gfx_PrintInt((int)32768/timer_1_Counter,3);// This is the same as 1000/ms passed except the C timer ticks 32768 times per second
timer_1_Counter = 0;//this resets the timer for next frame if you wanted average fps you could leave this out and divide the fps by total frames.
Thanks. I figured it had something to do with the TIMER1 stuff. I’ll try this out when I get the chance.
Yes, that worked very well. Thanks for your help TheMustardCat, and looking forward to more progress on your game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours