Hi guys, I got my original TI 92 in the mail today. Unfortunately, TILP 1.18 will not recognize it at all. I've verified that my cable isn't the problem (TI silverlink usb) on my 73 and it worked. What can I do?
Interesting. As you write, it's not a cable or driver problem, otherwise your 73 wouldn't be recognized either. On my side, my 92 has always been recognized by libticalcs/TILP over the years, still even less than a year ago, when I reworked the TI-68k ROM dumper.

I guess you need to perform complementary tests to assess the state of your 92's link port, there are at least five of them:
* if you don't care about the contents of the RAM left over by the previous owner, you could reboot your calculator, and see whether the behaviour changes;
* plugging one side of a calculator-to-calculator / unit-to-unit (as TI sometimes calls it) cable into your 92's link port, and checking the voltage on the various pins. Both data lines (see e.g. https://www.ticalc.org/hardware/cables/serial.html ) are active low, they're expected to be ~3.3V from the ground pin (tip) on 92/89/92+/V200/89T ("TI-68k series") and ~5V on the TI-Z80 series, to which your 73 belongs;
* finding another real TI-68k calculator around you and using it to communicate with your 92 through the VAR-Link's Send to 92 menu option. The newer models support some variable / token types the 92 doesn't, but strings, among other types, didn't change between the 92 and the newer models;
* using a TI-68k calculator emulated by TIEmu, using TI's freely downloadable OS upgrades for 89, 92+, V200 or 89T, does the job as well. The last time I used this ability of TIEmu and TilEm, both based on the same libraries as TILP, for both TI-68k and TI-Z80 models, was last summer, for adding lab equipment support to libticalcs;
* if that works on the TI-73 (I've only ever used on 83+/84+) connecting it to your 92 and using X-Link to try and communicate with your 92. It works because the TI-68k series' link port is 5V tolerant and the TI-Z80 series' hardware understands that 3.3V, being over half of 5V, is the high state.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Interesting. As you write, it's not a cable or driver problem, otherwise your 73 wouldn't be recognized either. On my side, my 92 has always been recognized by libticalcs/TILP over the years, still even less than a year ago, when I reworked the TI-68k ROM dumper.

I guess you need to perform complementary tests to assess the state of your 92's link port, there are at least five of them:
* if you don't care about the contents of the RAM left over by the previous owner, you could reboot your calculator, and see whether the behaviour changes;
* plugging one side of a calculator-to-calculator / unit-to-unit (as TI sometimes calls it) cable into your 92's link port, and checking the voltage on the various pins. Both data lines (see e.g. https://www.ticalc.org/hardware/cables/serial.html ) are active low, they're expected to be ~3.3V from the ground pin (tip) on 92/89/92+/V200/89T ("TI-68k series") and ~5V on the TI-Z80 series, to which your 73 belongs;
* finding another real TI-68k calculator around you and using it to communicate with your 92 through the VAR-Link's Send to 92 menu option. The newer models support some variable / token types the 92 doesn't, but strings, among other types, didn't change between the 92 and the newer models;
* using a TI-68k calculator emulated by TIEmu, using TI's freely downloadable OS upgrades for 89, 92+, V200 or 89T, does the job as well. The last time I used this ability of TIEmu and TilEm, both based on the same libraries as TILP, for both TI-68k and TI-Z80 models, was last summer, for adding lab equipment support to libticalcs;
* if that works on the TI-73 (I've only ever used on 83+/84+) connecting it to your 92 and using X-Link to try and communicate with your 92. It works because the TI-68k series' link port is 5V tolerant and the TI-Z80 series' hardware understands that 3.3V, being over half of 5V, is the high state.

Oddly enough, I tried messing around with stuff in the program and TILP did successfully send a few programs over. It still doesn't recognize the calc at all though when I try searching for devices. I'm guessing it could be just a bug. Oh well. Thank you for the advice though! I'll be sure to use it later if any problems arise.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours