I just recieved my Ti-81 in the mail today. One of the first things I do with my calculators, is make a primes generator using this code:

Code:
ClrHome
Prompt N
For(A,1,N,2)
 For(B,3,A-1,2)
  If fPart(A/B)=0
  A->B
 End
If B=A
Disp A
End
Pause

But to my suprise, the For( loop isn't present in this model and neither is Prompt. I tried to do it with Lbl and Goto but it didn't work.
This is almost a ritual for me, and it would be nice if I could get some working code for this Historical Calculator.

Edit1: If this helps the Program menu is this:

Code:
CTL:
1:Lbl
2:Goto
3:If
4:IS>(
5:DS<(
6:Pause
7:End
8:Stop

I/O:
1:Disp
2:Input
3:DispHome
4:DispGraph
5:ClrHome

EXEC:
//this is just:
N:Prgm1-Ɵ
I don't know if this works, but here's a straightforward translation from reading the manual:
Code:
ClrHome
Input N
1→A
Lbl O
 2→B
 Goto E
 Lbl I
  If FPart (A/B)=0
   A→B
  B+1→B
  Lbl E
 IS>(B,A-1)
  Goto I
 If B=A
  Disp A
 A+1→A
IS>(A,N)
 Goto O
Pause

Edit: Fixed OOO.
I believe I made changes to the code that should make it usable on the TI 81, though I'm not sure because I don't have one myself. From what I understand you just wanted one that does the same thing but is made with labels and without using the prompt command, so here is one I made that seems to be working with only adding the input command (which I believe functions the same):

Code:
ClrHome
Input "N?-",N
~1->A
Lbl A
A+2->A
If (A>N)
Goto D
1->B
Lbl B
B+2->B
If (B>=A-1)
Goto C
If (fPart(A/B)=0)
A->B
Goto B
Lbl C
If (B=A)
Disp A
Goto A
Lbl D
Pause
jacobly wrote:
I don't know if this works, but here's a straightforward translation from reading the manual:
Code:
ClrHome
Input N
1→A
Lbl O
 3→B
 Lbl I
  If 0=FPart A/B:A→B
  B+1→B
 IS>(B,A-1):Goto I
 If B=A:Disp A
 A+1→A
IS>(A,N):Goto O
Pause

you can't type : on the Ti-81, but, I Tried it on the Ti-83+ I have and it didn't work anyway. I really do appreciate your help tho!

bdoggamer wrote:
I believe I made changes to the code that should make it usable on the TI 81, though I'm not sure because I don't have one myself. From what I understand you just wanted one that does the same thing but is made with labels and without using the prompt command, so here is one I made that seems to be working with only adding the input command (which I believe functions the same):

Code:
ClrHome
Input "N?-",N
~1->A
Lbl A
A+2->A
If (A>N)
Goto D
1->B
Lbl B
B+2->B
If (B>=A-1)
Goto C
If (fPart(A/B)=0)
A->B
Goto B
Lbl C
If (B=A)
Disp A
Goto A
Lbl D
Pause

This does work. I had to change the code to:

Code:
Input N
~1->A
Lbl A
A+2->A
If (A>N)
Goto D
1->B
Lbl B
B+2->B
If (B>=A-1)
Goto C
If (FPart (A/B)=0)
A->B
Goto B
Lbl C
If (B=A)
Disp A
Goto A
Lbl D
Pause

just some minor tweaks. It doesn't look like the

Code:
Input
command doesn't support two arguments, only one.

Code:
fPart(
used to be:
Code:
FPart
The TI-81's programming is very crude compared to that of the later models.

The 81 doesn't have “:”, so just start the next piece of code on the next line, which works exactly the same as having a “:” in the middle of the line.
jacobly wrote:
Code:
ClrHome
Input N
1→A
Lbl O
 3→B
 Lbl I
  If (FPart A/B)=0
   A→B
  B+1→B
 IS>(B,A-1)
  Goto I
 If B=A
  Disp A
 A+1→A
IS>(A,N)
 Goto O
Pause

Edit: Fixed OOO.

slight syntax thingy is wrong:

Code:

If (FPart A/B)=0

Should be

Code:

If (FPart (A/B))=0

I think this is because FPart on the Ti-81 Doesn't read operations unless told to do so

It does work when this is quickly fixed

Edit: This version of the code does not output primes before 5
jacobly, is there a way to fix this?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours