Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.


Cemetech Contest #23 is all about games featuring spies and/or stealth! Participants may write a game in any language for any platform. Games must feature spies or stealth to be eligible for this contest.

General
Games can be in any language, for any platform. The game must feature stealth and/or spies to qualify. How this is implemented is completely up to you; be creative! You are allowed to use sprites, code, and other assets, provided they are public at the start of the contest and the game is still original. There must not be any inappropriate content, or any content that discriminates against others. This contest is open to all Cemetech users.

Submitting your game
Submit your entries through email (contest at this website’s domain). Submit it in the same format as you would upload the file to the Cemetech archives. In the readme file, please include a contest specific section that includes the language it’s written in and the platform it was written for. Include any optional screenshot(s) in the submission itself. ([UPDATE]: As code quality will be assessed by the judges for scoring, your submission must include the source code for your program. You may choose not to include the source code if you upload to the Cemetech archives, but it is required for the email submission.) You are also allowed to submit your game to the Cemetech archives, however it will not be accepted until the contest submission period is over. All entries must be in by 11:59 PM EST on the due dates outlined below. You may only submit one entry (if you want to submit an update to your entry, PM either Jeffitus or KermMartian, and re-email your submission).

Development
Please create a thread to document your progress with the title format "CC23: <username>". You are allowed to receive help for this particular contest, provided that it is done publicly on either the forums, or on SAX/IRC. If you receive help from someone, make sure to give them credit!

Judging
Judging for this contest will be done by a panel of 3 judges. Two of these judges are Jeffitus and _iPhoenix_; if you would like to be the third judge, please PM Jeffitus Edit: the third judge will be slimeenergy. Participants will be judged based on criteria decided by these judges. The judges will also take into account limitations of the platform and language of the game when judging. (Clarification edit: judges are not allowed to enter the contest).

Timeline
The contest will begin September 2nd and end on October 3rd October 10th. Assuming no delays or extensions, the judges' results will be posted on or before October 14th October 21st.

Good luck everyone!

100th post!
Quote:
a game in any language for any platform
To make sure I understand this correctly:
  • It must be a game.
  • It can be in any calculator/computer/mobile programming language
  • It can be for any calculator/computer/mobile platform
Do I have it?
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
a game in any language for any platform
To make sure I understand this correctly:
  • It must be a game.
  • It can be in any calculator/computer/mobile programming language
  • It can be for any calculator/computer/mobile platform
Do I have it?


Yes, that is correct Smile.
Is it illegal to use an open source, publicly available game template as a base for my game? Here it is
Pieman7373 wrote:
Is it illegal to use an open source, publicly available game template as a base for my game? Here it is

This particular example would be fine, as it's more of a library than a full fledged game, and it is publicly available.
Jeffitus wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:
Is it illegal to use an open source, publicly available game template as a base for my game? Here it is

This particular example would be fine, as it's more of a library than a full fledged game, and it is publicly available.


Okay, thank you!!
Planning on using unity to develop my entry. I will be coding in C#. My question is are game engines (such as unity, unreal etc) allowed?
zeldaking wrote:
Planning on using unity to develop my entry. I will be coding in C#. My question is are game engines (such as unity, unreal etc) allowed?


As per this rule, yes they are:
Quote:
You are allowed to use sprites, code, and other assets, provided they are public at the start of the contest and the game is still original.
Jeffitus, slimeenergy, and myself (the three CC23 judges) have devised a scorecard that entries will be graded against.

Use this to guide your entry.
Quote:
All judging criterion are scored out of ten and then summed for a total score. We will take language restraints into consideration.

  • Originality: How novel and interesting the game idea is.
  • Style: How well the game is implemented visually.
  • Theme: How well the game fits the theme of spies/stealth.
  • Code Quality: How well the game is implemented. This is a combination of readability, speed, documentation, and optimization.
  • Enjoyability: How much we liked the game, in general.
I have decided to extend the deadline of the contest by one week, due to the lack of submitted entries and to give people extra time to work on their games. For those of you keeping score at home, this means that the deadline to submit is October 10th and the judging results should come out by October 21st.

Good luck everyone! Smile
Jeffitus wrote:
I have decided to extend the deadline of the contest by one week, due to the lack of submitted entries and to give people extra time to work on their games. For those of you keeping score at home, this means that the deadline to submit is October 10th and the judging results should come out by October 21st.

Good luck everyone! Smile


Let's goooooo
Is it allowed to use bits of other people's code (like, a string compressor) provided I have their consent?
The only real restriction is that whatever you want to use is 'public' before the contest starts.

The last few contests has seen people use code + libs and especially sprites/graphics that the entrants did not create, but can be found by googling etc - so the playing field is level since anyone can access them.

Copyright doesn't appear to be a concern as far as I can tell for now and permission to use code would depend on the original author.
Reminder that you have less than a week to complete and submit your entries; until 11:59 EST on Thursday October 10th. I'm looking forward to playing all the entries!
Jeffitus wrote:
Reminder that you have less than a week to complete and submit your entries; until 11:59 EST on Thursday October 10th. I'm looking forward to playing all the entries!


Okay! Smile
I've just emailed my entry. Please let me know if the email came through and if there is any other information you would like to have. Smile
Captain Calc wrote:
I've just emailed my entry. Please let me know if the email came through and if there is any other information you would like to have. Smile

Yes, we received your email, and as long as you followed all the instructions in the "Submitting your game" section we have all we need Smile.



Also, remember that the final entries are due tomorrow!
Is everything I need submitted correctly? I just wasn't sure what format I had to put it in the contest email. I can send another email if I'm missing something.
Argus wrote:
Is everything I need submitted correctly? I just wasn't sure what format I had to put it in the contest email. I can send another email if I'm missing something.

Again, just look at the “Submitting your game” section of the post, it has all you need to know Wink .
How many entries were received for the contest? As far as I know, only me, Argus, matkeller19, and Captain Calc submitted programs. Am I missing anyone? Because if I’m not, everyone’s guaranteed at least an honorable mention!

Also, any timeline for when the results will be posted? No rush, but I’m looking forward to seeing how I did.

Good luck to all of the entrants!
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement