Thanks for that feedback! Based on price point, I was indeed looking at the Vega 56, but I was sad to see that there didn't seem to be any implementations that would allow me to skip using my DisplayPort hub or to connect a projector/VR headset along with my five monitors without another hub. I'll keep my eye on the sales this Black Friday/Cyber Monday season and try to spot a good deal on the Vega 56 and 64, although I suspect those a cryptocurrency miners may make that a challenge.
KermMartian wrote:
I was sad to see that there didn't seem to be any implementations that would allow me to skip using my DisplayPort hub or to connect a projector/VR headset along with my five monitors without another hub.
Why can't you? A 3-output displayport hub plus the other two DP outputs leaves the HDMI output free for one other device.
My assumption was that the Vega can only drive three out of four of the outputs at a time, based on past experiences with other cards. Is that inaccurate?
Ah; unsure, I haven't tried. I'd assume it can drive all of them at once.
I'm the worst. It has now been another two years of using my old Radeon HD 6970, and it has finally definitely given up the ghost. Tari et alia, any feedback on whether there's something newer than the Vega 56 I should be pursuing? As mentioned previously, I have a 1-to-3 DisplayPort hub now, so I need something with at least three DP outputs to drive my five monitors, and I guess I'll need one more DP-to-DVI adapter. I suppose one of these years I should also upgrade my monitors, but oh well, one step at a time.

Edit: I see from a sample 2019 graphics card ranking that the Vega 56 is still on there, but notably down the list and hilariously high in price?? Looks like something like the AMD Radeon RX 5700, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, or Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super should be under consideration?
The Vega 56/64 have been superseded by the RX 5700 variants at the midrange and the Radeon VII at the high end. Were I to be buying a GPU today with similar constraints to two years ago, I'd go for some kind of RX 5700.

The Navi GPU in the 5700s is the successor to Vega, built on a smaller process so without looking too closely I'd guess it's more power efficient and slightly faster. Indeed after a quick search, it's about 75% of the power and 115% of the performance, but also built on a new microarchitecture. The comparison of the Vega 56 to 5700 XT seems apt, given AMD's press pack makes exactly that comparison in gaming performance (suggesting they consider the 5700 XT to be the replacement for the 56).

My personal approach is to not even consider Nvidia, so I don't have an opinion on how the current Nvidia cards compare.
Perfect, thank you! My biggest concern is that it sounds like the drivers for the 5700 are immature, buggy, and unstable, but I trust that they'll be rapidly working to fix that. I suspect I'm going to bite the bullet on the 5700 XT.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours