Sorry guys total newbie here. I let my son play with my TI-83 Plus and now it is doing some weird stuff. It seems like it is probably just a setting issue, but I have cleared to RAM and returned it to factory settings, removed the batteries, including the backup battery and the issue still happens.

The issue is if I turn on the calculator with the screen clear the illuminated box flashes off on the left side like normal, but now on the right hand side at the top there is are illuminated black vertical line that extend 7 or 8 pixels down. They only appear on that line until the calculations go far enough down the screen where the screen would need to scroll to make room. At the point when the screen scrolls then the entire screen populated with the 7 or 8 pixel vertical lines on evenly spaced grid.

I can hit the clear button and it will return to the flashing box and the one vertical line off the the right side. When the calculator goes to sleep if I have not turned it off upon powering it back up the screen has solid vertical lines evenly spaced going about 2/3 of the screen (width) and some random pixels in the left most vertical illuminated line.

I can't figure out how to insert pictures[/img] but I can email them to someone if I am not explaining the symptoms well.

Appreciate all the help and apologizes if this is in the wrong section
This sounds like your calculator's ribbon cable for the display is degrading. It's not uncommon and is fixable as long as you're comfortable with soldering. There's a topic on repairing it here. Let us know if you have any other questions!

EDIT: Although the ribbon cable may be part of your issue, there may be more going on that needs to be repaired. Perhaps you should hold off on the soldering until we understand exactly what's going on.
Thanks TheLastMillennial. On the bottom of page three of the link you attached I have the same issues as KermMartian's silver edition it appears. When it shows the calculations with all the vertical lines in his first picture, if mine is like that and I hit the clear button all those vertical line will disappear with exception of the one at the upper right corner and wont reappear until the calculations cause the screen to scroll or if the calculator goes to sleep and I power it back on.

Not sure if that clarifies anything or not.
I ran the display test shown in this youtube video and everything came out good. Does that in anyway rule out the ribbon cable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evjL1B3bWVc

Also can someone help me with posting pictures so I can give you guys screen shots of what is going on?
First you need to upload the screenshots to a image hosting site, such as imgur or cubeupload.
Once you have them uploaded, you can put them in your posts with [img] image url goes here [/img]
Captain Calc wrote:
First you need to upload the screenshots to a image hosting site, such as imgur or cubeupload.
Once you have them uploaded, you can put them in your posts with [img] image url goes here [/img]

Ok I'll see if this works. The first picture show the calculator if it goes into sleep mode and is then re powered on. I can hit the clear button and it goes to normal with the exception of the small vertical line on the right hand side shown in the next picture. Everything is fine until the screen scrolls (the change is shown in the 3rd and 4th picture). I can then hit the clear and everything returns to the second picture.

This looks like classic coarse ribbon cable failure, I definitely recommend trying to replace it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours