I saw a link online that referenced Assembly Language Voyage 200. Of course I forgot to bookmark it and now can’t find! Can anyone suggest any links to ASM on the Voyage 200 please - preferably at beginner’s level as I haven’t used Assembly since 1981?
I'm pretty sure that the voyage 200 uses the 68k processor, like the ti-89, 89 titanium,and 92 calculators, so maybe searching for assemby tips/tutorials for some of those calculators might be useful
my advice might also be terrible >.<
Pieman7373 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the voyage 200 uses the 68k processor, like the ti-89, 89 titanium,and 92 calculators, so maybe searching for assemby tips/tutorials for some of those calculators might be useful
my advice might also be terrible >.<

Yes, its an m68k series microprocessor.
A 68000 at ~12 MHz, even.
Many tutorials are for programming in C, without delving into pure assembly. Back in the day, people used to recommend the TechnoPlaza tutorials, for instance. Some tutorials for TI-68k C and ASM are written in French, as the TI-68k series has historically been popular in France, where there was no stupid restriction on usage of a CAS in the main exams.
The Documents section of http://tict.ticalc.org/ has some assembly resources, but there are others, possibly e.g. in TI-FR's archives.

Many old resources recommend using the DoorsOS so-called "kernel", but that has always been unstable crap; people have replaced that by PreOS, or mostly by nothing ("AMS native" / "_nostub" programming, which doesn't require a "kernel").
Likewise, TIGCC, which you'll see recommended everywhere, has been effectively unmaintained since 2008 (last release in 2006); GCC4TI picked up where it left, adding a number of improvements, bugfixes and preparations for the future (better compatibility with newer OS and compilers) which had been dismissed or blocked for too long. However, the TI-68k community died in 2006-2007, and GCC4TI's initial release was in January 2009...
Of course, I'm not neutral about GCC4TI vs. its dead ancestor, but recommending that people use even more outdated software with known bugs and missing features is an obvious disservice to them, so I'm not doing that Smile

It is possible to make TI-68k/AMS pure assembly programs with a generic m68k ELF binutils toolchain, but although I did it for the special case of the libticalcs TI-68k/AMS ROM dumper, I wouldn't recommend that approach, though I suppose that GCC4TI's GNU as header could be mostly adopted.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours