Side project time - I actually managed to do some calc coding!

I ported the classic oldschool puzzle game DStar to the CE. I believe there are a few versions of this game around + it has been ported to different languages etc iirc ... but one more version cant hurt Smile.

TEST VERSION: http://tr1p1ea.net/files/downloads/dstarce.zip

Screenshot of me trying to play ... not very good Very Happy.
Looking good! How did you port it that fast?

Also, I’m sure you know, but you’re at 999 posts right now.
This looks pretty awesome!!!

Just curious, how are the map blocks, that the player can go behind, handled?
My brain tells me that you would just offset your collision by half a tile in the x direction, but the real answer is probably far more elegant/simple
Thanks Smile.

Yes it is very simple indeed. Tiles are 10x16 in size ... but they are drawn as a 10x10 grid which produces overdraw. Since they are drawn from the top down, and the player/items are 'tiles' as well, it gives the effect of depth/height etc.

Also I changed the controls in the zip:

Keys:
up,down,left,right - move ball/box
2nd - toggle ball/box
Clear - Quit
Enter - Restart level
+,- - Change level
tr1p1ea wrote:

Yes it is very simple indeed. Tiles are 10x16 in size ... but they are drawn as a 10x10 grid which produces overdraw. Since they are drawn from the top down, and the player/items are 'tiles' as well, it gives the effect of depth/height etc.

Cool! That makes perfect sense
Just wondering if anyone has been able to test? I'll upload it to the archives if so Smile.
I've been doing quite a bit of play testing and haven't found any bugs yet. The only odd thing is how the screen flashes when starting up the game. Other than that, I think it would be cool if there was a menu, a scoring system, and pausing the game. Overall I think it's a great program and can't wait to see more! Laughing
This is pretty fun, it's good to see you're still doing calc programming. Good job Smile.
Thanks man - appreciate the help.

I'll see what I can do about the screen flashing at the start.

OK I rearranged the memory layout so you don't see the random pixels when you run/exit the program.

Same link: http://tr1p1ea.net/files/downloads/dstarce.zip
Looks real nice this way! Btw, could you add a method that checks if the player or block has entered a zone from where they can't escape. There are certain spots like this throughout the game, so that feature might be nice. Anyway, if it's too much it doesn't really matter. Keep up the great work!
*cough* You could also add a Cesium Icon *cough*
Hmm... such a check might be a little tricky - I'll have to think about that option.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours