Hello again!

You might know me from the Symbolic Derivative Project. I thought I could do better so I am working on a CAS (computer algebra system) for the TI 84+ CE. It is nearly done and I want to tease a little bit about the progress and work I still have to do before it is released. It is called PineappleCAS and you can check it out here: https://github.com/nathanfarlow/PineappleCAS

It can already simplify algebra identities and like terms, manipulate complex numbers, expand things (A+B)(B+C) or (A+B)^8, evaluate large constants like 2 * 3 ^ 1001 that the calculator cannot do normally, and can take derivatives. You can then simplify the derivative and it will look way better than the simplified result of the previous project.

You will be able to pass arguments to PineappleCAS from a TI BASIC program to operate on algebra from within a TI BASIC program.

The only things that I need to finish up is a little of the GUI and implement the TI-BASIC interface.

Here are some screenshots:

If you want to see other expressions that will be accepted by the program you can look at the tests file: https://github.com/nathanfarlow/PineappleCAS/blob/master/tests.txt

Some things I already forgot that are included: Evaluating factorials, combining fractions, and trig constants like sin(pi) = 0 or trig identities like sin(X+2pi) = sin(X)
is usage through the GUI, or can I do 1:prgmCAS to simplify, 2 for derivative, etc?

Also, can't wait to see this done, I know I'll use it A LOT!
I am still deciding the best way to implement it, but yes you will be able to use it in that way from a ti basic program. It will read arguments from the Ans variable. The format might look something like:

"SIMP,Y1,Y2":Asm(prgmPCAS)

and of course you could separate these to two different lines.
Congratulations!
I've followed your progress on GitHub but this is some seriously impressive work as I've said before Smile

I encourage you to post that same topic on other forums as well (TI-Planet, CodeWalrus) as the project clearly deserve attention from the whole community!
And also once it's finished don't forget to upload it to ticalc.org since it's the only way to get it featured and potentially chosen for POTY.
Adriweb wrote:
Congratulations!
I've followed your progress on GitHub but this is some seriously impressive work as I've said before Smile

I encourage you to post that same topic on other forums as well (TI-Planet, CodeWalrus) as the project clearly deserve attention from the whole community!
And also once it's finished don't forget to upload it to ticalc.org since it's the only way to get it featured and potentially chosen for POTY.

Thanks! I will definitely be doing this when it's up and running.
This is pretty cool! I know c4ooo also did some pretty cool work in Axe (for the monochrome calcs) similar to this. I don't think they ever publicly released it, but it did basic symbolic manipulation on generic functions and variables, including (and especially) derivatives.
The gui is done! There may be some bugs, but you can now test the full functionality of the CAS. All I need to do now is to implement the ti basic interface and add some documentation. Very Happy
PineappleCAS v1.0 is released! You can download it here: https://github.com/nathanfarlow/PineappleCAS/releases

Thoughts on the basic interface? I would love to see a basic program that utilizes PCAS to give the first few exact terms of a taylor series polynomial for any function in Y1.
ANy new stuff, or is this thread dead? I have some ideas for pineapple CAS 1.2
Um, I guess this means that this project is ded? Big oofiedoodles, this could be super duper epic.
It's on GitHub, you could always create an issue or PR there.
Yeah I have reached out on the GitHub, totally forgot to read one of the issues though, states that there is no active development on the project Sad
Would it be possible to run the ENTIRE program inside graphx without typing anything into the Y1 and Y2?
Hi everyone,

I have the TI 84 plus CE and wanted to run this CAS.

Is this still being worked on or did the creator scrap it?

Thank you,
Stefos
I believe it's still all good - you can get the latest release here: https://github.com/nathanfarlow/PineappleCAS

It also has information on running it on calculators with an OS versions 5.5 or newer.
Hi tr1p1lea,

I don't know how to "simply execute prgmPCAS on the calculator" and don't know if I have to Download and install the latest CE C toolchain from https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain

Can you or someone help me install this correctly and run the program?

Thank you,
Stefos
stefos wrote:
Hi tr1p1lea,

I don't know how to "simply execute prgmPCAS on the calculator" and don't know if I have to Download and install the latest CE C toolchain from https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain

Can you or someone help me install this correctly and run the program?

Thank you,
Stefos

If you're on an older version of TI-OS (e.g. before OS 5.5), to execute a program, you just need to hit the prgm button, select the program from the list, and then hit enter.
On newer OS versions, you'll need to use arTIfiCE to run assembly programs.

You can ignore all of the instructions under the Build section - those are only helpful if you want to change the program itself. If you just want to use it, you only need the Installation section.
Update:

I managed to archive PineappleCAS...all set on my calculator....It has to be archived first to use.

Now I have to find out how to particularly use it.

Stefos

Hi commandblockguy,

I'm getting the error:

"ERROR: MEMORY"

Memory is insufficient to perform the calculation. Check infinite recursions or loops. Ex: Y1= Y1

Can you help me with this?

Thanks,
Stefos

Ps I have Artifice installed
You will need to archive the rest of your variables. Press the [2nd][+][2][1] keys to go to the memory management screen, and ensure that all programs/variables have an asterisk (*) next to them, indicating they are stored in the archive.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours