When I click "Go to the new posts", it works just fine. However, if I close the browser and open it later, all of the posts that I just looked at the title of are marked as read.
I guess this could be intentional, but I expected it to only mark it as read if I went to the forum page.
I have tested this on Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, and Electron (all on Windows 10), and clearing my cache doesn't help.
This is annoying if I don't have time to read each post, but I just want to check what's new.
That's just the way it is and always has been. Don't login if you're not gonna read the posts I guess. I have no idea how its coded, but because of the way it works, I would assume only the date and time of your last visit is saved, and anything posted after that gets marked as unread. That would be a really simple way to do it and would require very little code.
Except that it seems to remember what posts I have read if I click only some of the posts, and then go back to the post list again.
commandblockguy wrote:
Except that it seems to remember what posts I have read if I click only some of the posts, and then go back to the post list again.

Maybe that's done locally in the same browser session, so the server doesn't have to keep track of that...
mr womp womp is correct.

It's just how phpBB works. There's no easy way for us to track which topics you've opened so instead phpBB just compares the time of your previous session to the time of your new session. Any topics between then and now are marked as new.

Sure, you can click on a topic to read it then go back to the New Posts and it shows as read but, that's not stored in the database, rather in your browser session. If you login on one browser and see all the unread topics, and immediately login with a second browser, all those messages will be marked as read.

It's just how phpBB 2 was written.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours