Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Server War is one of two PvP competitions I was running back on the 1.12 server and will be the first I attempt to relaunch in 1.13 (the second being Star Trek PvP, which is delayed because I need to work on new ship builds and map setups).

As I'm sure many of you are aware, Cemetech is a no-PvP server (at least, without consent). Server War was my attempt to let players who like to PvP in a controlled environment do so. Unlike my other PvP events, where it's a map of my creation, in Server War, you create the map. On some servers where PvP is allowed, your base must serve as both your house and your defense station.

Server War works as follows: Read the rules, add the checkmark react to the pinned post in #event-discussion, and join the event. It's that simple.

PS: I double check that emoji before every match. I require you have your name submitted to it in order to participate in this event due to the nature of this event and the potential for problems and disputes to arise. If you unsubmit your name, I will assume you are withdrawing from the event.

RULES

Number 1: Setup

(1a) To join Server War, simply enter the secondary Server War world via the cannon-looking portal on the northern side of Spawn. Once there, you can head in any direction between the spawn area and the world border and find a suitable area to build in.

(1b) You may work solo or with a team capped to 7 or 8 players (we may ask teams to split if participation is low). I recommend at least five (5) players on a team.

(1c) Your server war structure should be sufficiently large to help you defend your area, but not so large that it prevents others from making adequate use of the terrain. Also, similar to the overworld, respect the building space of others.

(1d) Your base must be visible from the surface of the world (or placed underwater ON the seabed). Hiding yourself away to avoid conflict is not allowed.

(1e) It is not permissible to build out of materials not destructible by TNT or breakable by players in survival. By general consensus, end stone is considered the strongest material that may be used predominately in a build. You may make use of stronger materials to create a room around your team bed (must be player-accessible), or to protect other crucial infrastructure, such as a cannon, but I ask that this be used sparingly and not abused.

(1f) It is required to place a bed within your server war structure and place a flag marking the structure as yours over or near your bed. These two are involved in the conditions of capture.

(1g) You may enclose your bed within a secure room that renders the bed unable to be destroyed by TNT, forcing enemy players to physically break into your base, PvP your team, and win. In this context, "room" is defined as an area sufficiently large that a player can fully enter the room while standing. This room must be accessible by enemy players.

(1h) It is impermissible to scout out, profile, or collect intelligence about an enemy (or other) structure involved in the event while an actual match is not underway. Anyone found to be violating this rule intentionally will be disqualified from the event. Intentionally will be qualified as having been found (1) using stealth to do so or, (2) having been seen near a build, asked to leave and not doing so.

Number 2: Equipment/Materials

(2a) You are allowed to use whatever gear or weapons you want to use. KeepInventory is enabled, so you do not need to worry about losing anything (unless it breaks in combat).

(2b) You may use elytra. Having people in the air providing cover or air support. You may use ender pearls (for now, subject to change).

(2c) You may use any form of magic you wish, with the one exception of enchanted golden apples. This means you are allowed potions of strength and invisibility.

(2d) You are allowed to use TNT, both for catapulting enemy builds, breaking through walls, or taking out enemy players. It follows that you are allowed to use TNT as counter-artillery, or to self-destruct.

Number 3: Gameplay

(3a) Each Server War "Match" will last one hour, after which all hostility ceases. The end of a match does not necessarily mean the end of a round, as you will read later... the next match may continue the round if the end-of-round conditions are unmet.

(3b) Upon the start of an event, you must set your spawnpoint to your base by using the bed there. If your base is incomplete at the time, you will either have to: complete it during the match or team with another team.

(3c) The objective for you and/or your team is to attack and fell enemy bases. You do this by breaking the bed in their defense structure (preventing their respawn there) and placing one of your own, then proceeding to replace their flag with your own. You may then choose to reset your own spawn point there if you feel it presents a tactical advantage to do so.
(3c Amend 2) Please note that *having* your bed broken does not automatically eject you from your base. It simply prevents the defending team from respawning there. Defending players may continue to defend this area against assault and then replace their bed to prevent being ejected. In order for a team to lose or "be ejected" from it's base, the bed must be broken and the defending team cleared out of the area... something akin to "clearing an objective" in Battlefront.

(3d) You may attack an enemy base using a number of means, including stealth, elytra, or explosives with the following limitations: You are not allowed to break or place a block of any kind within 25 blocks of the outermost wall of an enemy structure. This limitation extends to build height. You may launch a block from outside this radius however.

(3e) To attempt to balance the combat between larger and smaller teams, the maximum players to attack party cap is set at HALF the maximum team size of 8. This means no attack parties greater than four (4) players. Teams may mutually agree to waive this restriction if, by merger, many teams have significantly more than the team max size, or if smaller teams wish for more challenge.

(3f) Being ejected from your base does not eliminate you from the event. You may re-enter the world via the spawn portal and then attempt to set up another base, or team with another group of players (including the team that captured your base). You may also attempt to recapture your own base, following the procedures outlined in (3c), but bear in mind that you cannot re-occupy your old, captured base until you are able to replace the bed inside it, replace your flag, and set your spawnpoint. In fact, rejoining the event in ANY way requires you to reset your spawnpoint by using a bed... be in a recap of your old base, joining a new team, or building a new base. You must place a bed (or use an existing one) to set your spawnpoint.

(3g) A team that feels it cannot reestablish a foothold in this round can choose to surrender. Doing so means they cannot participate until the round ends.

(3h) When a team has full map control, or two teams remain and one is defeated, the current round ends, and then the map area is regenned and the border expanded slightly.

(3i) It is not permissible to /sethome anywhere within the Server War map during the event. If your /home is in there before the match starts, you will be asked to remove or move it. This is because /sethome defeats the 'lose your base' conditions, and gives you an unfair advantage attacking an enemy player.

Number 4: Disputes

(4a) All matches will be recorded via ReplayMod (assuming it is updated and stable for this version of Minecraft). If ReplayMod is not available, I will find some other method of recording.

(4b) In the event that a review of an incident or conduct during an event is needed, a neutral panel of players who are not participating in the event will be asked to review relevant footage from that part of the event and render a decision within the parameters of the issue. For instance, a disputed base capture may be overturned by said panel of players.

(4c) In extreme cases, the panel may decide that a player (or team) has engaged in deliberate rule-breaking, misconduct, or breaking the spirit of the rules. This may lead to a player or team being (1) disqualified, (2) forced to sit out of one or more matches, (3) having the capture or fall of a base overturned or having it's base felled for rule violations that prevented defeat from occurring during the match.

(4d) If you are interested in acting as an arbiter for the event, please contact me. You cannot be involved in the server war event at all in order to serve this role, nor can you have any bias towards a particular team.

Number 5: Scoring

(5a) A player receives 1 point per kill.

(5b) When a bed is destroyed, the player who broke it receives two (2) points, and the rest of the team receives one (1) point.

(5c) At round end, any player on a team with an unbroken bed receives two (2) points.

(5d) At round end, every player receives two (2) points per base with it's flag flying over it.

(5e) At round end, any player on a team with 4 or less players will receive one (1) points. Players on a team with two or less players will receive two (2) points instead.

The Bill of Fights

Amend. #1: (1g) Beds no longer allowed to be directly enclosed, instead this prohibited and allowance for an accessible, TNT-proof secure room allowed. See rule directly.

Amend. #2: (3c) Further qualification of conditions for team losing their base. Simply breaking bed is not enough, defending team must be cleared out of base as well. Defenders still alive may continue to defend and replace the bed.
I'm quite excited about this. I don't see it anywhere in the above post, but apparently we have a match today?
KermMartian wrote:
I'm quite excited about this. I don't see it anywhere in the above post, but apparently we have a match today?

Yeah, the timing was decided in the discord server, probably because not very many people on the minecraft server actually pay attention to the forums (which should change Evil or Very Mad)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yeah, the timing was decided in the discord server, probably because not very many people on the minecraft server actually pay attention to the forums (which should change Evil or Very Mad)
Strongly agreed. Having the Cemetech and Cemetech Minecraft IRCs disconnected from each other is definitely the right choice, but when we had them integrated, we did make the Minecraft users more aware of the forum and its activity.

One possibility I'd strongly favor would be to use saxjax to echo our Minecraft subforum (only) to the #cemetech-mc IRC channel.
I strongly believe that play.cemetech.net should get a modernization and perhaps integrate with the Youtube channels of those of us that record. I also think that there should be some sort of something that broadcasts cemetech minecraft events to the main site.
Thoughts on the event, from someone who could barely participate:

Disclaimer: This was the first event, and it was a little rougher than anticipated- we could not have known it would have been like this from the start, and cags did a very, very good job with planning and handling everything.

• A greater reward should be given to those who conquer the base. Make it more valuable to participate in a raid than a brawl.
  • Elytras and riptide should be banned or limited. Just... yeah.
  • I also think that setting bases on fire counts as placing blocks, because you use the flint and steel to place fire.
  • I'm officially even more scared of icybeckacrafter and GregsAStar Evil or Very Mad
  • Teams of 8 are way too large for the number of people that are active on the server. I'd say teams of 4-5, max.

A few ideas maybe worth trying:

• Single-elimination tournament with teams
  • Setting up a scoreboard on the sidebar for player kills
  • Just a giant brawl, no bases, just fight to the death in a blank world. Heck, just repurpose abba one day! (This is not to say I didn't like building a base, that was my favorite part)
  • Random teams of an equal number of people, just for kicks.
  • if the server wouldn't crash that'd be nice
So, the first round just ended, so I decided to discuss how we could improve the event.
First, I'd like to thank ACag for putting on the event, which was a lot of fun. Planning and building the base was very enjoyable, and the combat was also fun.

I almost missed the event because my alarm failed to go off - I only woke up about 15 minutes before the event was scheduled to start. Luckily for me the event was delayed a bit so I had time to do last minute preparations.

So, the main rule amendment that I feel would improve the event would be a ban on elytra (and possibly riptide tridents). Whenever anyone just got low on health they just flew away. This made combat somewhat pointless, as even though people were taking damage, nobody could get any points. Riptide tridents are much less OP as they incur the risk of taking a ton of fall damage, and also rely on the weather being correct. Allowing just tridents would probably balance combat, but it would mean that you still have to consider flying players when designing a base. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, because it would also limit the methods that you can use to contain players while designing your base and probably make everything look like an enclosed cube. Removing elytra would also make it take longer to get back into combat after dying, which would de-incentivize dying, and incentivize building infrastructure like rail lines between bases to get places faster.

Nobody bothered to build a TNT cannon to breach a base - perhaps the amount of points given for breaking a bed could be increased relative to the points given for killing players? Everyone seemed to be focused on killing other players, rather than sneaking into a base or attempting to destroy its non-player defenses. I think that people might be more willing to spend time creating cannons if the match ran for longer. Taking into account the scale of the bases involved, it's not reasonable to expect that the bases be breached within an hour's time. If the bases will be rebuilt in between matches anyway, there's no reason to try to partially breach a base when you could be racking up kills instead.

I also noticed that in general, several people did not really follow or understand the rules - perhaps we could split the rules into a "core" set of rules which is easy to read and defines the basic premises of the game (e.g. respawning at your base's bed and not placing blocks within 25 blocks of someone's base), and then a set of "nitpicky" rules which are either exceptions to the core rules or rules that most people don't need to even consider (like whether shops are allowed in a base, what happens when someone teleports out of the event world, whether people can pick up dropped items without returning them, what counts as a kill, whether non-base structures are protected, etc.). We could also quiz users over the core rules before allowing them to participate. On a related note, I think we should advertise the event more in-game - currently, the rules are split between here on the forums and on Discord. We should change the MoTD that players get when they first log in to include a link to this forum thread (as well as a link to the discord, IMO, but that's unrelated) so that players who don't frequent the forums or Discord can know that the event is taking place.

I also think it would be a good idea to add a second portal into the world, so that it would be possible to import mobs from the main world. Currently, no mobs spawn in this world, so you can't defend your base using hostile mobs. Allowing you to do so would add depth to the game and open up more possibilities for defense.

We also should have a list of all competing teams, as well as where their bases are located. The only team where I knew the location of their base was ACag's. I had absolutely no idea where Kerm and Pizza's base was, and I was not entirely sure that skeppy's base was even being used at all.

The team size was also somewhat unbalanced - the teams were, if I remember correctly:

team name (participating|absent): participating | absent
--------------------------------------------------------------------
command's team (4|1): command, phoenix, beck, xpgamer (joined last minute) | Little
Kerm's team (2|?): Kerm, Pizza
ACag's team (5|3?): ACag, Greg, Turq, sticky, Nyte
DeJean's team (1|1): skeppy | DeJean
Ryne's team (0|8): Ryne, Dan, ?
Hedge's team (0|1?): Hedge

I think that the team size should probably be reduced a bit - teams of 8 seems too large. Maybe it should be limited to 4-5 as that seems to have worked well for this match.

Other than that, the event worked very well and was very enjoyable. I'd like to thank ACag again for putting this event on, as I know that it's quite a bit of work.
commandblockguy wrote:
So, the main rule amendment that I feel would improve the event would be a ban on elytra (and possibly riptide tridents). Whenever anyone just got low on health they just flew away. This made combat somewhat pointless, as even though people were taking damage, nobody could get any points. Riptide tridents are much less OP as they incur the risk of taking a ton of fall damage, and also rely on the weather being correct. Allowing just tridents would probably balance combat, but it would mean that you still have to consider flying players when designing a base. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, because it would also limit the methods that you can use to contain players while designing your base and probably make everything look like an enclosed cube. Removing elytra would also make it take longer to get back into combat after dying, which would de-incentivize dying, and incentivize building infrastructure like rail lines between bases to get places faster.

I'm definitely leaning quite heavily towards banning elytra, but not riptide tridents. Tridents are hard enough to acquire, the weather being proper is rare enough, and using it without also having slow falling dangerous enough that it makes players have to think twice before using it. But I'll wait for further feedback on this.

commandblockguy wrote:
perhaps the amount of points given for breaking a bed could be increased relative to the points given for killing players?
This is almost impossible or unfeasible to track and calculate, however, points could be awarded to a team for inflicting damage to a base? I could logblock which players constructed a canon that matches up with an area of damage and allocate points based on the scope of the damage done.

commandblockguy wrote:
Taking into account the scale of the bases involved, it's not reasonable to expect that the bases be breached within an hour's time. If the bases will be rebuilt in between matches anyway, there's no reason to try to partially breach a base when you could be racking up kills instead.
Would you suggest limiting base sizes next iteration?

commandblockguy wrote:
I also noticed that in general, several people did not really follow or understand the rules - perhaps we could split the rules into a "core" set of rules which is easy to read and defines the basic premises of the game... and then a set of "nitpicky" rules which are either exceptions to the core rules or rules that most people don't need to even consider.
I want to place a ruleboard underneath the spawn platform, with rules /whispered by command blocks based on topic, but I of course need admin approval to do this.

commandblockguy wrote:
On a related note, I think we should advertise the event more in-game - currently, the rules are split between here on the forums and on Discord. We should change the MoTD that players get when they first log in to include a link to this forum thread (as well as a link to the discord, IMO, but that's unrelated) so that players who don't frequent the forums or Discord can know that the event is taking place.
That's not suggestion that's best aimed at me. Shoot that Kerm or comic's way (I think)

commandblockguy wrote:
I also think it would be a good idea to add a second portal into the world, so that it would be possible to import mobs from the main world. Currently, no mobs spawn in this world, so you can't defend your base using hostile mobs. Allowing you to do so would add depth to the game and open up more possibilities for defense.
Second portal probably not, but I'll see what I can do about it.

commandblockguy wrote:
We also should have a list of all competing teams, as well as where their bases are located. The only team where I knew the location of their base was ACag's. I had absolutely no idea where Kerm and Pizza's base was, and I was not entirely sure that skeppy's base was even being used at all.
iPhoenix and I have some plans for this.

commandblockguy wrote:
I think that the team size should probably be reduced a bit - teams of 8 seems too large. Maybe it should be limited to 4-5 as that seems to have worked well for this match.
This might be hard to implement this iteration as players have already put effort into the bases that they have build and asking them to split teams is a bit unfair. We could very well implement the team size limit next round, but you've also got to remember that teams will not have 100% attendance all the time, so some imbalance is something that cannot always be avoided.

To close, I appreciate the esteem you guys are pouring on, however, all I did was type a few commands, announce a few things, and make some rules, ya'll were the ones who build the bases and made the match fun!
ACagliano wrote:
commandblockguy wrote:
perhaps the amount of points given for breaking a bed could be increased relative to the points given for killing players?
This is almost impossible or unfeasible to track and calculate, however, points could be awarded to a team for inflicting damage to a base? I could logblock which players constructed a canon that matches up with an area of damage and allocate points based on the scope of the damage done.

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear there. I wasn't suggesting that the amount of points should change dynamically, I was just suggesting that capturing a base should give you a lot of points compared to killing other players, so that people would only kill other players in order to attack or defend a base, rather than fighting for the sake of getting kills. Perhaps a better way to do that would be to give no points for a kill but subtract points for each death. That's much easier to count than a kill, and prevents issues with traps and killstealing. It would also incentivize players to attack bases as that's the only way to get points.

ACagliano wrote:
commandblockguy wrote:
Taking into account the scale of the bases involved, it's not reasonable to expect that the bases be breached within an hour's time. If the bases will be rebuilt in between matches anyway, there's no reason to try to partially breach a base when you could be racking up kills instead.
Would you suggest limiting base sizes next iteration?

I think it would be better to increase the run time for the matches rather than decreasing the size of bases. Any base size limitation would be completely arbitrary, and some large bases could have a simpler path through them than a base that has a tiny footprint but is designed like a maze. Increasing the match time also gives more time to damage a base before it is rebuilt, and increases the amount of strategy that can be used in both offense and defense.

ACagliano wrote:
commandblockguy wrote:
I also noticed that in general, several people did not really follow or understand the rules - perhaps we could split the rules into a "core" set of rules which is easy to read and defines the basic premises of the game... and then a set of "nitpicky" rules which are either exceptions to the core rules or rules that most people don't need to even consider.
I want to place a ruleboard underneath the spawn platform, with rules /whispered by command blocks based on topic, but I of course need admin approval to do this.

That sounds like a good idea. If you are going to be using command blocks, I would suggest that you use /tellraw instead of /whisper, though, as in my opinion it can be cleaner and easier to read. You could also just link to this topic, that way people don't stay connected to the server and bring TPS down while reading the rules. It would also reduce the number of things you would have to change each time the rules are modified.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours