XTREME GOLF is currently accepting level entries for its campaign!
Participate and get read here!

An XTREME Golf Game is a puzzle game I'm developing. The goal is to get the ball into the goal. The game is currently not playable, but everything has been designed. I may make the level sizes dynamic in the future. When the player hits the ball, it keeps rolling until it hits something. If it hits the goal, then you win. This game will be based on a static set of levels that's packed with the program, but a level editor will add a little bit of replayability to the game.

To Do List (Priority sorted top to bottom, highest to lowest):
►Design the campaign levels
►Custom level codes
►Add the credits scene
►Change the roll animation speed dynamically

Completed To do List Items:
►Add the "win all levels" scene
►Add the level editor
►Add the death/win scenes
►Add functionality for all tiles on push/activation
►Add functionality for all passive tiles
►Add the ball and allow it to be pushed by the player
►Add the level select scene

All I have in the play screen is level rendering, however nothing is playable. The player and ball don't render either. GitHub source may come later.

There are 7 tiles.

Seismic Axe: When activated by the player, the ball moves randomly into one of its 8 neighboring tiles. The ball can only move into tiles that are empty.

Magnet: This quad-directional magnet passively pulls the ball to itself each turn, as long as the ball is within two tiles of the magnet orthogonally. This tile can be pushed.

Goal: The goal is to push the ball into the goal.

Dynamite: When activated, it destroys everything within range except the goal, ball, and player.

Fan: This quad-directional fan blows the ball away each turn as long as the ball is within one tile orthogonally. This tile can be pushed.

Calculator: If this is hit/blown up, you lose.

Wall: This is a wall.
This looks very cool, the graphics are very nice!

I also love how the calculator tile is playing the same game you are Wink
Love the concept and the graphics are a nice start.

Also exploding calculators lol!
Jeffitus wrote:
This looks very cool, the graphics are very nice!

I also love how the calculator tile is playing the same game you are Wink

Thank you for complimenting the graphics.
The calculator, by the way, is not just playing the same game as you are.
It's your calculator. Don't blow it up!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Love the concept and the graphics are a nice start.

Also exploding calculators lol!

The moment I planned the dynamite tile was when I knew I had to make a calculator tile. I'm planning on adding a fake screen crack if you destroy the calculator tile as well.

Update:
The foundation for making tiles do things when you collide with them are in place. For a quick example, see what happens when the calculator is pushed:

The next feature to be added once I finish adding events for each tile on collision, will be to have some tiles do things each turn.
I may make turns happen automatically, rather than forcing the player to move or press a button to get the passive tiles to work.

Edit:
Active tiles now work, and the player can hit the golf ball.
The Seismic Axe knocks the gold ball around. The magnet and fan get pushed by the player. Dynamite explodes. When the golf ball hits the calculator, the screen shakes (the lose screen isn't finished).

Edit 2:
Centered the game

Edit 3:
Added passive tile functionality. The fan now blows and the magnet now pulls.
Looks great, the progress is impressive!

Do you have plans to make the ball move smoothly at all? Also are you drawing each tile as a sprite by any chance?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Looks great, the progress is impressive!

Do you have plans to make the ball move smoothly at all? Also are you drawing each tile as a sprite by any chance?

I suppose a ball movement animation would be a good addition. I am indeed drawing each tile as a sprite. The tile map is drawn by looping through the tile positions to draw grass at pseudo random rotations based on the grass's position and, then, I draw transparent tiles over that grass if the tile isn't empty.
Yeah I think it would look good to have the ball smoothly move between the tiles each turn. You could also combine this with sprite rotation to have the ball look like its 'rolling' as well?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Yeah I think it would look good to have the ball smoothly move between the tiles each turn. You could also combine this with sprite rotation to have the ball look like its 'rolling' as well?

The rotation was a good idea, it turned out well. I decided on making the animation independent of turns so the movement could be smoother.

The animation is easier to see with it slowed down:

Perhaps I could, in the future, change the speed of the animation depending on the distance between the start and end points. For now, however, I'm going to get started on the levels system.
Yeah that looks really good! Nice and smooth!
Update:
►More GUIs
►Improved play area
►System for multiple levels exists

See if you can solve the following puzzle (It's not a difficult one):

Looking good! Seems like a fun game to play, and I really like the button style.

Also, how did you embed a URL in your username image?
epsilon5 wrote:
Looking good! Seems like a fun game to play, and I really like the button style.

Also, how did you embed a URL in your username image?

Thank you!

What do you mean by username image?
If you mean signature, then surround an [img] tag with a [url] tag.
Great, thanks. I meant to say userbar, but I guess you understood what I meant. Looking forward to seeing more Xtreme Golf updates!

Edit- I embedded a link in my userbar too.
It's not dead! 361 days later and I've gotten back to work on this project.

In the latest update I've added...

A functional level editor with saving/loading
Level previews for the custom level and campaign level selection screens
Various improvements such as removing debouncing from the clear/enter keys

I want to implement some kind of way to share levels, and I imagine I'll do that with level codes. Hopefully I can optimize them to be short enough to be calculator-friendly. I'm also going to make a web editor so I can convert those levels into arrays for C.

What would be... better is if you could adjust the amount of shaking of the screen various effects trigger. I personally don't like shaking effects to be quite so... pronounced, but to each his own. Hence, this request.
darkwater4213 wrote:
What would be... better is if you could adjust the amount of shaking of the screen various effects trigger. I personally don't like shaking effects to be quite so... pronounced, but to each his own. Hence, this request.

I think I was just excited to use screenshake at the time, so I pumped it up really high. If I continue work on this, I’ll probably make it nicer to look at.
The reason I ask is that one of your previous games (Fire and Flames) also had a... good amount of screenshake. And I would kind of like to be able tt tone i down a bit (By the way, that's one of my favorite games).
darkwater4213 wrote:
The reason I ask is that one of your previous games (Fire and Flames) also had a... good amount of screenshake. And I would kind of like to be able tt tone i down a bit (By the way, that's one of my favorite games).

This probably just all comes down to design. I think I could definitely have toned down screenshake in Fire and Flames for a better result.
As well as that, I could make a no-screenshake setting in future games if it turns out to not be too much work.
Also, thanks!
Screenshake is fine in my opinion as long as it isn't too pronounced. I actually quite like how you used it in Fire and Flames, as it made it clear when one of the bombs that may not have been currently visible had exploded.

With that said, I do have to agree that as it is present in this program, it's probably too much and distracts from the gameplay. The atmosphere of the program has to be considered as well--as Fire and Flames was a game almost entirely about blowing things up, a high amount of screenshake there is more appropriate than in a game like this.

Perhaps a setting for "max screen shake" would be more useful, if it's not too hard to implement? Then, you could simply set it to a lower value by default, and the user could turn it up or down later if desired.
epsilon5 wrote:

Perhaps a setting for "max screen shake" would be more useful, if it's not too hard to implement? Then, you could simply set it to a lower value by default, and the user could turn it up or down later if desired.

I don’t want to leave this to the user to configure. To me, this is different to an on-off setting; this is more of the designer’s job, and having the user fine tune it would take away from the experience, in my opinion.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours