New Update:

Added Net Worth visibility when just playing the game (before you had to die to see it).

All wages have been reduced severely to balance the game along with the lottery system. The wages now don't represent real life at all, but now make it harder to become rich.
An idea I had: a value representing the player's reputation. (For instance, assaulting someone might cause the value to drop, whilst returning a wallet causes it to rise.) Perhaps having too low of a reputation might cause you to lose your job, have your partner break up with you, etc.?

The main problem with this is that, at least in the real world, there is no way of quantifying one's reputation or popularity... but having some system in place that punishes the player's social status due to unlawful or immoral behavior would add to the realism as a whole, I feel.
NHaA wrote:
An idea I had: a value representing the player's reputation. (For instance, assaulting someone might cause the value to drop, whilst returning a wallet causes it to rise.) Perhaps having too low of a reputation might cause you to lose your job, have your partner break up with you, etc.?

The main problem with this is that, at least in the real world, there is no way of quantifying one's reputation or popularity... but having some system in place that punishes the player's social status due to unlawful or immoral behavior would add to the realism as a whole, I feel.

I've definitely thought about this idea, yet haven't seen any way of doing it right now. I will try to implement something like this, but it might be after the initial release of the game.
New Social Tab Update:

You can now break up with you partner, file for divorce, and propose. Your partner has a 40% chance of denying your proposal, yet remains with you. You also cannot propose until you are 22 years old (I just chose 22 for no specific reason).

For the new changes, I also changed the display of the social menu for whatever part of the social timeline you are (single, in a relationship, married).

New Small Career Update:

You can now quit your job to get a new one.
The Game is officially in Beta! If you would like to check it out now, click here

If you try it out, please submit feedback to me! Just reply to this thread.

Thanks, and have fun playing. (Game is ~15500 bytes on the calculator. Make sure you have enough space)
bdoggamer wrote:
The Game is officially in Beta! If you would like to check it out now, click here

If you try it out, please submit feedback to me! Just reply to this thread.

Thanks, and have fun playing. (Game is ~15500 bytes on the calculator. Make sure you have enough space)

Couple of suggestions, having downloaded the program:
1. It is not intuitive in the slightest that one needs to press 2nd in order to Age. (I spent the better part of 2 minutes pressing Enter and running through the code to see if there was a bug.) I know that the ReadMe provided details the functions of the various keys, but perhaps you could provide some instructions within the program?

2. Another idea I had--a "Random" option for the gender selection screen, that randomly picks between male and female for the gender. (I imagine this could quite easily be done via a "If not(int(rand:Then
-Goto AB
-Else
-Goto AA or so.)

3. Why does one receive a message in their timeline upon beginning college, but not upon finishing it?

4. Slightly nitpicky, but there are a number of ending quotation marks, ending parentheses, etc. you could remove to save bytes. (Although considering this is still in Beta, I'm guessing this isn't your primary focus yet.)

5. Upon turning 5, the Education tab states that you are now in Grade 0. (This could also probably be fixed via a "If L=5:Output(2,5,"Preschool"" or "Output(2,3,"Kindergarten"" between lines 222 and 223.)

6. Currently, the name one gives their character doesn't seem to have much purpose, as the only time it ever seems to be referenced is upon the character's death. I have no idea what else the name could be used for, however.

7. There's a syntax error on line 1114--you accidentally put |LAM2ENU instead of |LAMENU.

At the same time, feel free to take these with a grain of salt--it is your program, after all.
NHaA wrote:
Couple of suggestions, having downloaded the program:
1. It is not intuitive in the slightest that one needs to press 2nd in order to Age. (I spent the better part of 2 minutes pressing Enter and running through the code to see if there was a bug.) I know that the ReadMe provided details the functions of the various keys, but perhaps you could provide some instructions within the program?

2nd is actually quite standard for calculator games, and if it's in the readme I'd say that's enough instructions.

I haven't gotten the chance to download it yet, but I'll be sure try it later this week Smile .

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours