A while back I found some an Notepad++ syntax highlighting XML file for Z80 assembly, and used this for a while doing eZ80 development, but it bothered me that a few things weren't ever highlighted, for example the mlt instruction, or the opcode prefixes (.sis, .sil, .lis, etc.) and, for some reason, none of the registers but A. So I modified it a bit and added eZ80 support. It's not really anything special, but especially considering there is no eZ80-focused IDE (that I'm aware of) this might be a help to any die-hard Notepad++ fans out there.

In addition to adding eZ80 support, I added an unconventional form of comment folding meant to be similar to other languages' #regions. You may place an opening curly bracket on a single-line comment, then later on a closing curly bracket on another single-line comment in your code to allow folding of that section. If this is annoying you can turn off comment folding (or edit the language to get rid of that weird stuff).

Here's a download, and in case that doesn't work I've put it all on Pastebin too.

To install, download the file to someplace easy to remember (for example, your desktop) and make sure it is named userDefineLang_eZ80.xml or something similar. Open Notepad++ and go to "Language" → "Define Your Language" → "Import" and find userDefineLang_eZ80.xml. Once you've imported the file, close the "User Defined Language" window (do not click "Save As") and exit Notepad++ completely. When you restart it, you should see all of your eZ80 assembly beautifully highlighted!

Let me know if there's anything that doesn't work as expected, or if you want something new! Wink Feel free to create modified versions with different color schemes and I can post those here too.
A screenshot showing off the syntax highlighting might be nice to see, thanks for sharing Smile
Very helpful; and works great. Thanks! Since Notepad++ is my default go-to, this is a nice step. Smile
Thanks, Hactar! I'll be sure to use this when I get back from my trip.
I added a bunch of instructions had I missed at first, primarily the I/O stuff and things pertaining to ADL switching. The Pastebin and Dropbox link have been updated.
Thank you! So helpful
Thanks, this is really cool.
Thank you, Hactar. It's very useful.
The download link needs to be updated, because dropbox now says that the page is not found.

EDIT: I was able to get an updated version of the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7xwrodtvk0bp2d/userDefineLang_eZ80.xml?dl=0

There. That is the download for the xml document.
dunlavdy wrote:
The download link needs to be updated, because dropbox now says that the page is not found.

EDIT: I was able to get an updated version of the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7xwrodtvk0bp2d/userDefineLang_eZ80.xml?dl=0

There. That is the download for the xml document.

He also put up pastebin link in the post in case the download didn't work, so I think it's fine.
Quote:
He also put up pastebin link in the post in case the download didn't work, so I think it's fine.

Yes. The pastebin link is still okay. I posted the download link, because some people don't feel like copying the code and making their own file. (that was me a year ago).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours