Recently, I have been trying to think of a program that will make people want to download it. I have not thought of anything, so I am asking the cemetech members to give me ideas.

So, in the comments/replies below, please give me a program idea that will not only make you want to download it, but to make other people want to download it. It could be a program or a game that you have wanted to exist forever.

I am very good with ti-basic, so any program or game idea in ti-basic is ok.

And I recently picked up C toolchain, so if you have any program or game ideas that are simple in C, then give me suggestions also.

Thanks for your input! I can't wait to see what you guys have to say.
Minecraft in space!
c4ooo wrote:
Minecraft in space!

ummm...Aren't there forge mods for that? Taken. And I said SIMPLE c programs. Jeez. Rolling Eyes
dunlavdy wrote:
c4ooo wrote:
Minecraft in space!

ummm...Aren't there forge mods for that?

Do it on a calculator of course.
Quote:

Ummm...if you really want me to, then give me more details. I don't know where to start or what to do. Unless you are being sarcastic, then I would believe that. Because Minecraft itself is a complex game with almost 5 billion lines of code.
c4ooo is being sarcastic.

Don't worry about what people will download. Worry about what will be fun to make. Calculator programming is a very niche community, so there aren't many people here to download your programs. If you are just trying to get the most downloads possible, you should go make a mobile game or something, as it's easier and there are more people in that audience. If you are doing calculator programming, you should do it because you personally enjoy it, not for external validation from the rest of us here.

If you are looking for a simple program you can make in C, you could try making a shoot-em-up. Those are fairly simple and allow you to learn the ropes of C, and people will download them if they bring something new to the table like fancy graphics or a cool story.
dunlavdy wrote:
Quote:

Ummm...if you really want me to, then give me more details. I don't know where to start or what to do. Unless you are being sarcastic, then I would believe that. Because Minecraft itself is a complex game with almost 5 billion lines of code.

Not really complicated in 2D if you are actually passionate about programming. And no way minecraft has 5 billion lines of code. Probably not even a million.
c4ooo wrote:
dunlavdy wrote:
Quote:

Not really complicated in 2D if you are actually passionate about programming. And no way minecraft has 5 billion lines of code. Probably not even a million.

This link will show you:
https://www.quora.com/How-many-lines-of-code-are-there-in-Minecraft

Yah. Minecraft is a very complex game.
dunlavdy wrote:
c4ooo wrote:
dunlavdy wrote:
Quote:

This link will show you:
https://www.quora.com/How-many-lines-of-code-are-there-in-Minecraft

Yah. Minecraft is a very complex game.

No, it doesn't...
There are even posts in that thread that say it's only 600 thousand.
dunlavdy wrote:
Recently, I have been trying to think of a program that will make people want to download it. I have not thought of anything, so I am asking the cemetech members to give me ideas.

So, in the comments/replies below, please give me a program idea that will not only make you want to download it, but to make other people want to download it. It could be a program or a game that you have wanted to exist forever.

I am very good with ti-basic, so any program or game idea in ti-basic is ok.

And I recently picked up C toolchain, so if you have any program or game ideas that are simple in C, then give me suggestions also.

Thanks for your input! I can't wait to see what you guys have to say.

Hmm... I want to give you suggestions but any ideas I think of are ones that I'd like to use at some point Razz

I'll let you know if I have any that I'm not set on pursuing. Smile
commandblockguy wrote:

Don't worry about what people will download. Worry about what will be fun to make. Calculator programming is a very niche community, so there aren't many people here to download your programs. If you are just trying to get the most downloads possible, you should go make a mobile game or something, as it's easier and there are more people in that audience. If you are doing calculator programming, you should do it because you personally enjoy it, not for external validation from the rest of us here.

If you are looking for a simple program you can make in C, you could try making a shoot-em-up. Those are fairly simple and allow you to learn the ropes of C, and people will download them if they bring something new to the table like fancy graphics or a cool story.

Yes, I do understand that, but if I make a poll asking if people will download my program, I don't want everyone but me to say no to the program. I want most people to be able to say yes.
dunlavdy wrote:
commandblockguy wrote:

Not really, there is more then one "minecraft" 2D game for the calculators that has been released, it's doable if you really are passionate about programming. In esscence all it is is just a tilemap where you can modify the map in real time, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to write tilemappers.
c4ooo wrote:
Not really, there is more then one "minecraft" 2D game for the calculators that has been released, it's doable if you really are passionate about programming. In esscence all it is is just a tilemap where you can modify the map in real time, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to write tilemappers.

That can definitely be a possibility. I will look into that and give you status if I am going to start that project or not. Thanks for the idea!
I literally just did a Minecraft game in under a thousand lines of code.
12Kb compiled.
AND THE WORLD IS 3D, despite the 2D graphics.
Maybe I'll even do a Mode7 renderer, if I have the time and stuff.

It doesn't take 5 billion lines of code to make a program like Minecraft.
Minecraft itself is not 5 billion lines of code.
Due to the nature of compiled games, that would be a game of over 10Gb.
Minecraft is not even a half Gigabyte.
Minecraft is almost five billion lines of code. Here.

Program the oceans (minecraft 1.13) and the villagers+pillagers (minecraft 1.14) and tell me it's not 5 billion lines of code. Second of all, minecraft is 3.1GB with only 1.8.9 on my computer. You must be thinking of the launcher.
If you actually bothered to read any of the results, you would know that the 4.8bn number is found as a splash text on the main menu, and it hasn't changed between versions. It's fake, not an actual count of the game code. I have a copy of the decompiled 1.12 source, which contains 300976 lines. I'm not sure how you have 3.3 GB, unless you are counting mods or something. My 1.13 jar is 15.7 MB compiled.

Also the amount of code for the oceans and villagers is miniscule compared to the amount of code doing other stuff like making blocks, entities, and rendering work properly. The new content in 1.14 is probably mostly reused code since there's really nothing radically different from what existed before, besides the new village generation.
Ok. That makes some sense, because 5B lines is a lot of code.

Anyway, this forum was supposed to give me program ideas, not to debate about minecraft. I want to get back on topic.

So, anyone want to give me more suggestions?
Gyruss.
oof. I am not that advanced of a C programmer yet. (i hope that was sarcasm)

Anyway, Calcuzap covers a lot of features that Gyruss has.

I could, though try to program a more simple version of Gyruss.

Gyruss is a maybe. It could be a good challenge for me. Smile
Maybe a Tetris-like game? I know that is a relatively simple to program game that could be a good exercise. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours