Hello Cemetech Users. I am currently programming with ICE games for my TI-84 Plus CE and I wanted to ask if it would be worthwhile to learn C as well? Would you have any advantages with C, such as more commands or possibilities? I want to start making cool games slowly. So which of the two languages is better? Or is ICE already like C? And would there be a tutorial somewhere that specializes in calculators?
Yan-Nick wrote:
Hello Cemetech Users. I am currently programming with ICE games for my TI-84 Plus CE and I wanted to ask if it would be worthwhile to learn C as well? Would you have any advantages with C, such as more commands or possibilities? I want to start making cool games slowly. So which of the two languages is better? Or is ICE already like C? And would there be a tutorial somewhere that specializes in calculators?

ICE is for the calculater. C is for everything. Although I like c++ better, I know many will disagree
C is definitely better documented, and more versatile. So I would recommend C. Smile
I strongly recommend C. C has support for arrays, floats, signed (negative) numbers, and structs. Additionally, there are a ton of other built-in functions like srand that are not accessible in ICE. C is also widely used, so you can find documentation, tutorials, and libraries for it online.
Okay, I guess I'll just start learning C. Then I can make myself more popular with my computer science teacher at the same time Smile . Can someone else send me a link to a good tutorial?
https://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/
Here's a tutorial that talks about C in general. It's not calculator-focused but the vast majority of it will work on the CE too.
The CE toolchain can be found here and has instructions on how to install it. There are also examples of how to interact with the calculator's screen and buttons.
I need help building the toolchain. Where do I register that here "git clone --recurse-submodules https://github. com/CE-Programming/toolchain. git"?
You only have to build the toolchain if you want to modify it or make custom versions of the libraries. You should use the pre-built version of the toolchain instead, which can be found on the releases page.
Here is the toolchain installation link. Read the instructions, and you should be on your way to programming C on toolchain. Good luck! If you have any questions, don't feel guilty to ask.
Unless you plan on altering the toolchain itself, you don't need to build the toolchain. Just download and install the latest release: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases
Runer112 wrote:
Unless you plan on altering the toolchain itself, you don't need to build the toolchain. Just download and install the latest release: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases

You know that is the link that I gave? Copycat. Dry
The documentary says I need MinGW and Inno. Do I need the two things if I just want to program? I still don't understand where to write programs and compile them to a pocket calculator format? Do I have to execute the install file that is in the toolchain at the very beginning and if so, do I have to pay attention to anything?
Are you paying attention to anything anyone has said? We told you to download the release from this page ( https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases ) at least 5 times.
You don't have to build the toolchain itself in order to build programs using the toolchain. Download the .exe file from https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases and run it. Follow the steps it gives you. You don't have to mess with MinGW at all.

To build an actual program, you can follow the steps on this wiki page here once you have run that exe.
After running the .exe and following the stpes in "Building your first program", I get this instead of the demo program. How to resolve? And is the cedev safe of malicious code?

Code:

PS C:\CEdev\examples\os_input> make
makefile:15: C:\Users\<user>\Downloads: Permission denied
makefile:15: _\windows_CEdev\CEdev/include/.makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `_\windows_CEdev\CEdev/include/.makefile'.  Stop.
PS C:\CEdev\examples\os_input>

Also I can only use powershell for "open command window here".
Yan-Nick wrote:

Combine the two... and you have yourself an Ice-C.
ACagliano wrote:
Yan-Nick wrote:

Combine the two... and you have yourself an Ice-C.

*I-C-CE
wow. I-C-CE. hmm. That sounds weird.

Anyway, if you are wanting to learn a program language, and you are debating STILL, then I would recommend C. The reason is because C can not only be programmed for the CE, but it could also be programmed on almost any computer in the future. The only difference for the CE is that you have to learn a few libraries used on the CE, but C is also very similar to C++, and C is also the skeleton for a lot of programming languages, such as Java and Python. I also think that C is easier to learn (personal preference). So that is my opinion. I hope that helps. Smile
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
After running the .exe and following the stpes in "Building your first program", I get this instead of the demo program. How to resolve? And is the cedev safe of malicious code?

Code:

PS C:\CEdev\examples\os_input> make
makefile:15: C:\Users\<user>\Downloads: Permission denied
makefile:15: _\windows_CEdev\CEdev/include/.makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `_\windows_CEdev\CEdev/include/.makefile'.  Stop.
PS C:\CEdev\examples\os_input>

Also I can only use powershell for "open command window here".

Make sure you put the toolchain in a place where all of your programs will have access. Don’t place it in program files

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours