Would you use this program?
Yes
 56%  [ 23 ]
No
 7%  [ 3 ]
Maybe
 36%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 41

For the past few days, I have been working on an on-calc ASM compiler.
It is not ready for release, but I have included a few screenshots here:

Please tell me what you think,
Looks cool! I probably wouldn't use it because of the risk of ram clears, unless you can somehow remove that risk.
calclover2514 wrote:
Please tell me what you think,

I think you that you might want to edit that comma into a period... Razz

Alright, in all seriousness, I like this idea and it looks pretty well executed! Well done! Very Happy
Soooo Mimas Razz
I'm sorry, but that's not an "assembler". It simply converts the hexadecimal-encoded data into a binary program.

An actual assembler converts the source code like "add a, b" into machine instructions.

EDIT: Didn't notice the other screenshot, I'm silly.
It does do that?

Look at the first screenshot.
SopaXorzTaker wrote:
I'm sorry, but that's not an "assembler". It simply converts the hexadecimal-encoded data into a binary program.

An actual assembler converts the source code like "add a, b" into machine instructions.

If you look at his screenshot on the right, he has a menu where you can switch between opcodes and hex, so I would assume he is planning on doing both. Also, I'm not sure what you think assembling a list of instructions is like, but it is mostly just parsing each line into instructions and operands, then finding it in a list. Some people who have spent too much time writing asm can actually just write programs directly in hex Laughing
I'd suggest sorting the include file in alphabetical order so that you can binary search through it, because I think finding the calls might be a bit of a cpu muncher for the CE.
Wow! I cant believe this stuff is happening!!! It looks great!
This will be incredibly useful once I start to learn ez80 machine code Very Happy
Hah! The only command I ever added in my attempt was ret, but all the lines had to be uppercased, which was the loss. Is there like a pre-release or something? Or is it still needing more improvements before we can get a download and try it out?
slimeenergy wrote:
Looks cool! I probably wouldn't use it because of the risk of ram clears, unless you can somehow remove that risk.

Yeah no there's always risk to using any compiled/assembled language. Or... mostlanguages... not all.

Anyway thanks for this project! I've been looking for an excuse to learn ez80 assembly so now I finally have that!
If you know what you are doing, testing assembly on-calc is no less safe than testing ICE programs on-calc. It's a bit easier to write bad code in assembly than in C or ICE, but many of the things that cause RAM clears or freezes with assembly also happen in ICE if you write bad code.
I have questions about the include file.
How did you store the include file? Presumably you modified it to make it smaller... How do you traverse it? Did you sort everything alphabetically to do a binary search?
mr womp womp wrote:
I have questions about the include file.
How did you store the include file? Presumably you modified it to make it smaller... How do you traverse it? Did you sort everything alphabetically to do a binary search?

As it is right now, it is a compiled-in shell of the include file (like 3-4 commands, more a proof-of-concept). I want to make it a separate AppVar that gets parsed, but it might need to be several to hold the whole include file. This project has kind of stopped since school started, and I haven't gotten very far with it. I'm hoping to pick it up again, but I may not be able to until summer.
This is very amazing. you're pushing the boundaries of on calculator programming. Smile I look forward to using this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours