This game is finished, download it here: https://www.cemetech.net/programs/83plus/basic/games/arena84cc22.zip

I think I'll try and enter the contest, I even have an idea of what to do.
It will be some kind of fighting game, where you fight waves of enemies using the weapons and equipment you select.
This will be in hybrid TI-Basic, on the TI-83/84 plus, using the Doors CS 7 libraries.
It will be fun to see how much speed I can get in TI-Basic Smile
Anyways, this is just a rough idea and it could change on the future.
Jeffitus wrote:
I think I'll try and enter the contest, I even have an idea of what to do.
It will be some kind of fighting game, where you fight waves of enemies using the weapons and equipment you select.
This will be in hybrid TI-Basic, on the TI-83/84 plus, using the Doors CS 7 libraries.
It will be fun to see how much speed I can get in TI-Basic Smile
Anyways, this is just a rough idea and it could change on the future.

Commendable goal! I am going to be trying something along the same lines in pure TI-85 BASIC (although I will probably not go the fighting game route and go in some other direction).

I wish you the best of luck! Very Happy
So, I have gotten turning and sword-stabbing working pretty well!

As you can see, I have also figured out a name for the game: Arena (or something else maybe, that's not set in stone).
Next to implement is enemies, which I foresee as being a little tricky, but after that I will start adding the customization element of the game.
I assume enemies will come from both sides? What kinds of enemies are you thinking to implement?

On a similar note, what kinds of equipment do you think you'll add?

Cool screenshot is cool- can't wait to see how this turns out.
Looks awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product! Very Happy
Yes, enemies come from both sides, I'm thinking about going for a midieval/fantasy theme, so maybe four to five different enemies in that category.
As far as equipment, I think there will only be two types of weapons (sword and spear), but you can customize them to have stronger attacks. However, the stronger the attack, the more difficult the game will be. I might also add a shield, but that's up in the air right now.
What about the enemies from above.

#checkmate
You should make the black part take up less of the screen

Other than that, it looks great!!
Pieman7373 wrote:
You should make the black part take up less of the screen

Other than that, it looks great!!

Yeah, that is one part I would change. Also, in the final program I was thinking of putting the score there.
So, I've been experimenting with enemies, and I think I know how they are going to be implemented, but I still need to fiddle with it a little. Sadly there probably won't be any major updates until next week, as I have a lot of homework and stuff that won't end until then. Hopefully the next update will have enemies working decently.

Edit: I'm also considering adding to the customization element by letting users select their own sprite sheet from an image they have already made. Would anyone be interested in and/or use this feature?
Enemies are here!

The next step is adding the customization part (which is the point of the contest, after all...)
The way it will probably work is, the more strong your weapon is, the more health enemies will have, making them harder to beat.

Edit: I have started adding customization options, but more importantly I did a lot of optimizing and got the code down to 512 bytes from 603 bytes, which definitely does improve speed. One question I have is this: Should health and weapon power stats be actually seen in the customization screen, or should it be up to the player to experiment with different equipment to figure out what the differences are with each option?
Well, it's finished and submitted!
I don't really have anything else to say, just check out this gif.
Ooh, looks very nice, the game looks quite smooth and I love your Minotaur sprites!
One question though, where is the sprite customization part? Do different powers of the weapon/ armor effect what it looks like?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Do different powers of the weapon/ armor effect what it looks like?

No, but it is within the rules as long as it affects gameplay

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours