Hey Guys, we want to give you an update on what the future of Cemetech looks like.

You Are All Amazing
First, we want to say thanks for being amazing. Without all the visitors, the members that have joined, and those that have volunteered to run the community and contests over the last 15 years Cemetech wouldn't be where it is today. We've gone from an InvsionFree board to phpBB community on shared hosting, and eventually moving to a dedicated host. Without you, we wouldn't be where we are right now.

In 2018 we attempted to reach a bigger audience on an established and growing social community by opening up a Discord server. It worked and since July our Discord server has grown to 141 members, quickly out growing IRC. The Discord server has channels for 3d printing, various programming languages, gaming, contest discussion plus idea brainstorming, and more; a single channel of Discord & IRC are linked through a bot so that both communities can collaborate. Everyone is welcome to join in so follow this link for the invite.

Later in 2018, after recognizing the benefits of opening the Discord, the Cemetech Admins started to explore other ways to tap into established communities. We hemmed and we hawed at ideas. It was thrown out there that we could push Reddit a bit harder but it was not very favorable. We continued to deliberate and could never settle on something. Meanwhile, inspired by the Reddit push idea, Alex had started branding the Cemetech Subreddit with colors and style under the (admittedly unpopular) Reddit Redesign. After finishing the other Admins were convinced it was the right thing to pursue.

Now it's 2019 and we're officially announcing that we are going to put the forum in read-only mode on July 1st in favor of our Cemetech Subreddit. It's an extreme move--and not a decision we came to lightly--but with no easy way to bridge the two communities we figured it's best to keep all the discussion on one site. We won't be deleting the forum because we want this wealth of information to be accessible. Even after the forum is put into read-only jsTIfied, SourceCoder, and other Cemetech tools will continue to be available and updated. Your account won't be going anywhere nor will anything else change, you'll still be to create, save, export, and edit projects.

We're going to heavily push reddit threads over the next three months so when the forum is placed into read-only mode, the impact won't be as noticeable. To help make the transition easier Cemetech subreddit topics will be automatically posted into the Discord so IRC and SAX members can see when new topics are posted; we're also including a few other calculator and math related subreddits too but in another Discord channel as to not clog up the main discussion.

How does this help Cemetech grow?
Reddit is home to millions of users and even more visitors. By shifting our community over to Reddit we inherit all those potential members. As mentioned, Discord has been a great inspiration for this. We've had members join the Discord who lurk on the site, but didn't want to create an account. Since they had already signed up for Discord they were able to painlessly join the Cemetech Discord Server and get the help they require by tapping the communities incredible knowledge. Just imagine how many others will join our community now that we have an official presence on one of the largest social forums in the world.

If you guys have any questions about this next big step, please let us know and we'll be happy to answer them.

It'll be sad to see the forum go, but I love reddit a whole lot. this year was a bit more obvious than last year, imo

I completely support the reasoning behind your move. I can't wait to chat with you all over there!
So did our accounts get moved to reddit?
Honestly this is better than whatever crappy code is currently running the backend.
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
So did our accounts get moved to reddit?

You'll have to make an account over there, we don't have the ability to migrate accounts to Reddit.
Please note that our beloved Cemetech.net will switch to an archive of forum posts as well as the host for your favorite tools such as jsTIfied or SourceCoder 3.
Bet you 400 lines of BASIC code that this is an April fool's day joke...
SM84CE wrote:

We assure you the Cemetech Subreddit is very real and here to stay.
So it will be like United Ti all over again
Hooray, glad we could get some momentum to aid with the phasing-out of IRC that was discussed. The level of redundancy from "[#] [disjax]" still being there is grating on my nerves. (Objections from stragglers aside... I would've counted myself among them a year ago, but I've since moved on to a 64-bit OS. Hooray!)

It seems, from looking at the extensive member list on Discord, that a good number of us are already on-board with the changes, so I'm raring to go, and ready to try my quill in the new ink with which the future chapters of Cemetech will be written.

Weregoose wrote:
Hooray, glad we could get some momentum to aid with the phasing-out of IRC that was discussed.

We considered actually shuttering both IRC and Discord in favor of Reddit Chat but we didn't want to have that much change at once; so it'll likely be a 2020 or 2021 transition.

We're one step closer to cheating our way into having a mobile app.

Edit: Linked to the wrong reddit chat. Rolling Eyes
It seems Alex didn't get the email memo Smile

We will definitely be switching to another technology for chat. As mentioned in our post Cemetech: 2020 and Beyond, Google Wave will be what we will end up using in the future. Our server isn't ready yet and, due to fluctuations in server availability (as Google Wave has become very popular), we are waiting on setting up that server. We are all looking forward to the switch to this next-generation messaging technology.

And don't worry, the switch will be automatic Good Idea
Awesome! Once this is fully operational I will no longer have to leave reddit, ever
Oh no... I dearly hope that this is an April Fool's joke. If this isnt, I really enjoy the forum format and it will be sad to see it go. Sad
RogerWilco wrote:
Oh no... I dearly hope that this is an April Fool's joke. If this isnt, I really enjoy the forum format and it will be sad to see it go. Sad
To be fair, Reddit is basically a forum itself, would you not agree?
True. Looks like I'll need to sign up for Reddit now...
Believe no "news" post that occurs on April 1st.
I don't HATE the idea in any way, I just 1) don't really want to start over on reddit 2) don't want to make a reddit account and 3) will really miss the old site. Sad
Alex wrote:
SM84CE wrote:

We assure you the Cemetech Subreddit is very real and here to stay.

I don't like Reddit, and don't want to make an account there... You should really consider Google Groups Razz
ACagliano wrote:
Believe no "news" post that occurs on April 1st.

The subreddit is most definitely real, as Alex said. Not sure why you are denying that

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours