Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.

Best NES game?
Super Mario Bros 3
 66%  [ 12 ]
Metroid
 11%  [ 2 ]
Punch-Out!
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Legend of Zelda
 22%  [ 4 ]
Final Fantasy
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Hey everyone,

I had to take a couple months off but as of last week am back at it. Been working on an NES emulator from scratch in C/Assembly hybrid for Casio Prizm called NESizm. The goal is to play all of my childhood favorites through again. Because of the direct hardware key and display access, calculators are actually a better emulator device than most consoles or PC due to input/display lag that didn't exist in the 90's.

Off to a pretty good start! I've finished the first pass on the CPU interpreter and the PPU (NES on-board display chip) emulation. Donkey Kong is the "standard" ROM to get working as your first ROM when writing an NES emulator and I am happy to say it runs at full speed on Prizm now with a frame skip of 1 Smile

Next steps are to get Super Mario Bros. working, which will take a while because it actually uses a few fairly obscure NES features. Afterwards I'll do initial sound support. Larger and later games do more and more complex stuff, so I'll probably be at it for a while.

Full album of a couple shots of the game: http://imgur.com/a/wQaWQ

Oh, and the source code is available here: https://github.com/tswilliamson/nesizm
You are a hero
This is amazing again.Laughing
I'm glad to see the progress of your new project.
I'm looking forward to the completion.
I think that this will be a driving force to attract new user of fx-CG50. Smile
I'm a member of planet casio (http://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/compte/voir_profil.php?membre=Aragorn) and I try to compilate Nesizm with the github code. However, I didn't succeed. Did you know how to do ?

Here is the error :
"D:/PrizmSDK-0.3/projects/nesizm/src/6502.cpp: In member function 'void cpu_instr_history::output()':
D:/PrizmSDK-0.3/projects/nesizm/src/6502.cpp:867:32: error: 'OutputLog' was not declared in this scope
D:/PrizmSDK-0.3/projects/nesizm/src/6502.cpp:870:33: error: 'OutputLog' was not declared in this scope
D:/PrizmSDK-0.3/projects/nesizm/src/6502.cpp:872:16: error: 'OutputLog' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [6502.o] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2"

If someone succeed to compilate the program, could you share it please ? I'm going back to the boarding school in 3 days and I'd really like to install this program on my calculator before. Thank you in advance for the help bring.

Thanks to tswilliamson for prizoop. It works perfectly
Hi Aragorn, I can check this error later tonight when I am at home. NESizm is not complete however (probably ~60% compatibility at the moment) and only may work with one or two build configurations. I think it expects TARGET_PRIZM to be defined and RELEASE=1, DEBUG=0

Punch-Out and SMB3 work though Smile
Thank you for your answer. Prizoop is currently my favorite add-in and I am looking forward to Nesizm.
I have programmed some add-ins for monochrome calculators. So, I know the difficulty of development for calculator (and more particularly the difficulty of debugging). I wonder why Casio does not share its development tools. It would cost them nothing and allow us to develop programs for their machines more easily.
How do I put this on my calculator?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours