Does anyone know of an emulator for Linux which supports the TI 84+ C Silver Edition? (wx)WabbitEmu doesn't, Tilem2 doesn't seem to either (although I may be wrong on that because they claim to they don't on ticalc.org Neutral, but I haven't gotten it working).

I am aware of Jstified (which I may in the end default on), but I would prefer to use an application that does not depend on the browser.
Normally, TilEm-NG should do the job... but you'd have to compile it yourself from the development sources, rather than from the 2.0 release, which predates the 84+CSE.
Your best option is indeed probably jsTIfied, as you mentioned; for what it's worth, it has an offline webview for which there might be a Linux tool.
Lionel Debroux, thanks for the suggestion! Could you send me a link to TilEm-NG? I couldn't find it easily enough and I'm afraid I'll waste time compiling old source code.
AFAIK, you're looking for the SVN repo on the official SF project, https://sourceforge.net/p/tilem/code/HEAD/tree/ Smile
"-NG" was just the suffix for TilEm 2.0+.

The unofficial https://github.com/labsin/TilEm , which I became aware of as part of this search, is really outdated, and https://github.com/labsin/TilEm-Qml , besides being unfinished, has a latest commit older than the newest commit in TilEm SVN.
Lionel Debroux, thank you! If I can get it working that will be awesome! At the moment I'm having some issues, but it did load the ROM and identified the calculator, so I'm really hopeful! If you have a moment to help later, I would really appreciate it!
Quote:
At the moment I'm having some issues

Well, which ones ? Wink
FWIW, my local build of TilEm, SVN revision 755 (so behind HEAD) has just loaded a ROM dump of my 84+CSE running OS 4.0; several FlashApps such as ZoomMath and DoorsCSE work, as do a couple TI-Basic and ASM programs, so at least, TilEm works as I remembered and expected.

The fact is that I seldom emulate a TI-Z80 or TI-eZ80 calculator, because I don't use them much beyond testing interaction with computers running the libti* family, on which all of TILP, TilEm and TIEmu are based, or testing programs - usually games - during the writing of ticalc.org news items.
Lionel Debroux, okay so I'm assuming it's an issue with skinning, but I think a video will explain better than I can.

And interesting! So that does mean the problem is specific to my computer, which is more of a relief than anything. Also, that's cool, you must do a lot of development, I take it?
Indeed, you're experiencing an ugly issue with skinning Smile
* which distro flavour and version are you using ?
* do you use a high-DPI screen ?
* could you check out SVN revision 755, rebuild and install that, then test again ? In general, that's not a good solution for the long term, as newer revisions usually have more features (and fewer bugs, but TilEm isn't known for high inaccuracy and bugginess), but it's an interesting test, as the old binary I built ~ 4 years ago is not blurting out pixels like that, even on a newer OS.

Nowadays, I do (much) less development for the TI community than I used to when I was younger, but like a number of old-timers in the TI / HP / Casio / other communities, I'm a professional IT person, mostly software developer but also sysadmin.
Okay, whew 😅. Thanks for the update, Lionel!

I'm using Arch+XFCE and the x86_64 Linux 5.0.1-arch1-1-ARCH kernel (I actually have no idea how OS versions work in Arch, the kernel was the closest thing I could come up with). My dpi is apprently 96x96, which I don't think is high, but I really have no idea.

There's a good chance I did something horribly wrong in setting up my x server, but I haven't experienced this sort of issue with any other apps, so I'm not sure.

I'll try that, although I have no experience with svn so I might have to figure out a thing or two first. I'll get back to you ASAP though.

And that makes sense, calculator programming seems fun, but definitely more of a hobby. I've heard the term often but I've never heard much of what comes with it, what all does one do as a sysadmin?
Sweet! Revision 755 works seems to be working! I don't have any programs to run on it, but it works just fine as a calculator ATM (which of course isn't what I plan to use it for, but I assume if that works, the rest should!) I wonder what changed between the versions?
Heh, you beat me to posting, because I was writing the longer part at the end of the message Smile
The post I had started writing read:
Quote:
To check out revision 755, you'd run `svn checkout -r755 ...` to obtain a brand-new working copy from the external repository, or `svn update -r755` to update your existing working copy, from which you already built TilEm.

It's very interesting to know that an earlier revision worked, whereas the display on the HEAD revision is broken. Finding out what happens is a task for another day, possibly not even tomorrow...

I had done some programming earlier, but programming on calculators or in fact, programming on the computer for targeting the calculator, was the hobby with which I started programming on a regular basis.

"sysadmin" encompasses a wide variety of tasks depending on the number and the kind of systems one deals with, and what the goals are Smile
When I started working as a professional software engineer and occasional sysadmin, I did install computers, install applications, update packages, and configure a trivial MTA (ssmtp), on personal computers (during the first two years, I happened to work using my own laptop), but little beyond that. Of course, the set of tasks expands with experience, and the difficulty is usually higher, but you can make them faster, and sometimes even (try to...) avoid some problems up front, because you've already faced them before.

For instance:
* hardware level tasks: taking computers out of their protective transport boxes, checking that the contents match what the manufacturer was supposed to deliver, moving computers around, plugging in the electrical / network / display / keyboard / mouse cables, adding RAM / HDDs / network / graphics / other cards and making them recognized by the BIOS (especially valid for RAID when using a "hardware" controller), updating the BIOS and ME/AMT firmware of Intel computers, etc.;
* OS level tasks: installing and configuring the OS (initial provisioning, later "hardening" to reduce the attack surface and mitigate known attacks, per the "defense in depth" principle), installing packages, monitoring through various means, configuring log centralization and log parsing, configuring a Mail Transport Agent, configuring time servers, configuring the computer's own software firewall, updating packages (manually and automatically), configuring asset management (inventory) software, sometimes - very sadly and unfortunately (because clueless upper management forces us in the trenches, who do actual work they don't comprehend, to do it) - having to infect one's computers with proprietary pro-virus crap full of vulnerabilities and probably intentional backdoors, said pro-virus software being developed by an entity with long-time, well-known ties to government agencies of overtly hostile countries routinely performing industrial espionage, changing the default passwords, installing microcode update packages and newer kernels (that is useful, unlike actively reducing the security of our computers by infecting them with pro-virus software...), taking care of configuring applications to pass through a stupid corporate HTTP proxy, etc.;
* application level tasks: installing, configuring, monitoring, etc. the real business applications that the computers are supposed to run: Web servers, various flavors of database servers, others;
* network level tasks for sysadmins ("netadmin" tasks are deeper and wider): sometimes dealing with firewall issues and configuration through a Web interface, capturing and analyzing packets for debugging purposes, etc.;
* administrative tasks: requesting the opening of some address+port+protocol combinations, or network routes, in the corporate firewalls, requesting the tagging of new computers so that they can be entered into asset management software, requesting that some MAC addresses be recognized in the right network, and other requests aimed at being able to perform one's own work, or making the applications accessible, trying and failing to explain why I am not going to infect my computers with f* pro-virus crap which does not even run on them (e.g. because 32-bit computers are still a thing which matters, but that pro-virus requires a 64-bit computer, so, uh...);
* sometimes installing and maintaining build environments, continuous integration servers + jobs, SCM repositories, bug trackers, etc.
* staying informed about the latest vulnerabilities, threats and mitigations, preferably in a form digested by others (CERTs, etc.), because it's very time-consuming if you want to do it entirely on your own.

Apart from infecting my computers with proprietary pro-virus crap, which someone else is unfortunately slowly doing because we have to, over 15+ years, I've done all of the above, and more, in a professional and/or personal setting, without receiving sysadmin training. I'm a self-taught part-time sysadmin, but not a professional sysadmin. I'm not bragging, it's not just me anyway: colleagues have done most of those tasks as well Smile

A closing note: some (and an ever growing amount of) automation is required for sysadmin work. It's useful even if you're taking care of a single computer, but you don't have a choice if you're taking care of dozens of relatively homogeneous computers (several Linux flavors and versions, as well as several ESXi servers, but no Windows bare metal computers or VMs), let alone thousands of computers (that's next level, I'm not there and almost certainly won't be !) Smile
Thank goodness for documentation Smile . It's probably best to have it written here anyway though, just in case someone else has a similar issue.

And yeah, I imagine, when was the last time you worked on it? Debugging old code seems like it can take as much effort as writing it again sometimes lol.

Wow, being a sysadmin sounds like it involves running the whole company 😂. Also, dealing with management and their choice in software sounds pretty frustrating 😒.

How is it that you managed to get into sysadmin work without receiving training? I find I learn best when studying on my own (Assuming I can find the motivation), but I can hardly imagine how much it would take to make a career based on your self-study!
I never worked on TilEm proper Smile
For the past 9 years and a half, or so, I've been the official maintainer of the libti* family created by Romain Liévin 20 years ago, and Benjamin Moody, the main author of TilEm, has effectively acted as co-maintainer of libti* for most of my time as the official maintainer.

In some cases, such as small entities, or small IT departments in larger entities, sysadmins do indeed make it possible for the whole company to run.

I guess I got into part-time, sometimes near-full-time sysadmin work, without receiving training, for a variety of reasons:
* working as one of the few full-time software developers / computer engineers in a computer-oriented, but small, entity. We used a set of computers, which needed to be installed and administered;
* working on a R&D project in a large IT company - again, we had a growing set of computers, in a peculiar environment, and I want to try and make a good job, and I like learning;
* being pulled out of said R&D project because, you know, money restrictions, and becoming an available resource on the local workforce, right when a pure sysadmin project for a customer started and they were looking for people. No money to spend on training, even though neither of the two of us non-sysadmins mastered any of the technologies involved in that project. We had never used most of them in the first place, and we were tasked to make a streamlined environment for near-automatically installing from scratch (down to fully automated, non-networked OS / hypervisor installs on bare metal) and performing the initial configuration of a set of computers and VMs. Nothing in that process can rely on Internet access, because that proves not to be always available in practice when the install + initial configuration procedure is set to be performed. Unsurprisingly, we learnt a lot Smile

You're right, most people learn best, with the highest motivation and ability to remember, when they're studying on their own, or they have to solve a work problem. What one learns on their own, during their free time, can clearly make a difference when trying to get an internship, or a first / the first few jobs - it did for me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours