Most of this was copied from BOSshell's thread
I have dreamed of making an interpreted language for the CE, and now, that dream is closer to reality than ever before!
Introducing: BOS-BASIC!
This language is run directly from a TI-BASIC program, no need to open any kind of interpreter first!

Code:

Asm(prgmBOSBASIC

This one line of code will make the rest of your program run as BOS-BASIC!

BOS-BASIC will have a whopping 62 one-character variables!
It will have all the functionality of ICE!

An example "Hello World" program:

Code:

Asm(prgmBOSBASIC
GFX
Disp Hello World!
LET 11=x05
Disp Hello World in Green!
FLIP
getKeyWait
GFX

Another capability of this language is it's ability to recognize a token both input from a menu, or written character-by-character, as the same command!

Current command list (including TO-DOs) and what they do:

Code:

GFX - toggle full-screen graphics
Disp String - put the following text to the screen. Will scroll the text if it overflows the bottom of the screen, just like on the homescreen
LET var=value - store value to var
getKey - get key value and update key register
getKeyWait - wait until a key is pressed, update key register
FLIP - display graphics. Use this when you are done drawing, right before getting a key value. Uses "Blit(1" (ICE)
Lbl NAME - program label
Lbl NAME var - program label. Stores label offset from start of program to var
Goto NAME - goto label
vGoto var - goto label from offset stored in var
Call NAME - call label
vCall NAME - call label from offset stored in var
Return - Return from subroutine (Call )
++ var - add one to variable
-- var - subtract one from variable
+val var - add value to variable
-val var - subtract value from variable
*val var - multiply var by val
/val var - divide var by val
^2 var - square var
θ+ var1 var2 - add var1 to var2 and store to var1 (works with "+","-","*", and "/")
θ+ var1 var2 var3 - add var1 to var2 and store to var3 (works with "+","-","*", and "/")
// - comment

If/Else/End works same as in ICE, but only one variable can be compared with a variable or value for each "If" statement.

Variable syntax:

Code:

There are 62 variables. 0-9, A-Z, and a-z.
A variable is accessed by adding one of the following to the end:
:a - get/store all 3 bytes
:x - get/store the first two bytes of a variable. Usually for an X coordinate, like when you are going to draw something
:y - get/store the last byte of a variable. Usually the Y coordinate
:0, 1, and 2 - the first, second, and third bytes of the variable
:d - get/store from the adress stored in the 3b of the variable
:o - get/store from the offset (from the temporary data file) stored in the first 2b of the variable
ex: Aa - 3b number from variable A
ex: 0x - current X draw coordinate
ex: 0y - current Y draw coordinate
ex: 10 - current Background color
ex: 11 - current Foreground color B
ex: 12 - current Foreground color A
NOTE: when setting all 3 colors at once, use a hexidecimal value "x000000" where the first two are Foreground colors B and A, and the last one is Background color.

Value syntax:

Code:

:0 - regular integer value
:x - hexadecimal value
:" - string value (will actually append the string to the temp file. Gets the offset of the first byte of the string)
:: - hexidecimal string (appends to temp file and gets the offset)
ex: 0256
ex: x100
ex: "Hello World!
ex: :0102030400

I've added a bunch of variable aliases, so you don't have to remember which variables are which Razz
Also the key code register, the current draw colors, and the current draw position, are not a part of the 62 user vars, so more possibility!
The character used to indicate an alias is the exclamation mark ("!")
The aliases that are currently implemented:

Code:

!key - stores the keycode returned by getKey or getKeyWait
!arrow - stores the arrow keys returned by getKey or getKeyWait
!BGC - current background draw color
!TAC - current foreground A color
!TBC - current foreground B color
!TextX - current text X draw position
!TextY - current text Y draw position

NOTE: The arrow key variable stores the state of all the arrow keys. So the 4 bits are down,left,right,up in ascending order. I will be adding operators to make this easier to use in the future

Another feature I plan to add is the ability for one variable to store both a string and a Y offset!

<explanation>
This is possible due to a string variable in BOS-BASIC actually being written to a temporary file when created, and that any variable on the calculator can only have up to 64K [-ish] adresses. Variables in BOS-BASIC, being 3 bytes each, can store that file offset, and an extra byte!
</explanation>

Or I could also perhaps make that byte able to be a color. Which one it is used as would depend on what print routine you use.

There is still no scheduled release for BOS-BASIC at this time.
BOS-BASIC is also currently faster than TI-BASIC too! Very Happy
Suck it, TI Razz
I will be adding a lot more to this language, so stay tuned for more! Very Happy
This sounds awesome!
Sounds like a neat Idea!! Can't wait for BOSshell's update!
I guess this is a "race" of some sort. Who will have the best Language "ICE".

Good job, Beck. Smile
Seems very cool! Is it possible to accidentally crash the calculator or clear ram with this?
slimeenergy wrote:
Seems very cool! Is it possible to accidentally crash the calculator or clear ram with this?

I am planning for it to not crash the RAM; BOS-BASIC is an interpreted language.
beckadamtheinventor wrote:
slimeenergy wrote:

I am planning for it to not crash the RAM; BOS-BASIC is an interpreted language.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to its release.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours