Let’s say that for whatever reason I want to know if the calculator on which I’m running a program is in Normal, Sci, or Eng mode. I can do length(toString(10, which is 2 in Normal, 3 in Sci, and 4 in Eng. But let’s say that for whatever reason I want it to be compatible with pre-toString calculators. Is there any way to detect this without assembly?
No; only Func/Par/Pol/Seq, Real/either complex mode, Full/Horiz/G-T, and Stat Diagnostics are detectable in Ti-Basic during programming.
How would I detect the real/complex mode and the stat diagnostics?
Well, both involve a particular mode setting causing the calculator itself to display an error.
Real/Complex: You'd put something like √(-1)→Y in a line; when its ran, you get a Nonreal Ans. error in Real mode and no error in the other modes.

Stat Diagnostics: Performing a regression calculation (QuadReg, LinReg, etc.) and calling r, r² or R²; all these variables would be undefined if stat diagnostics are off.
You can do 'Number to String' on earlier calcs in TI-BASIC: http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/number-to-string
Errors don’t count, and using Equ>String is pretty smart, thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours