When I was looking for a new calculator, I chose the HP Prime for several reasons:

1. It currently is the calculator with the fastest clock speed
2. The on-calc programming language is extremely powerful when compared to Lua on the TI-nspire or TI-Basic
3. It is the only calculator with a multi-touch screen
4. It possesses an abundance of RAM and ROM

All of these eventually led me to the conclusion, asides from the fact that I wanted to buy it , that this calculator would be perfect as a portable programming platform, and support of other low and high level programming languages would improve it greatly, such as ASM and C.

On Omnimaga there is a thread currently there concerning the hacking of the HP prime, http://www.omnimaga.org/hp-prime/let's-hack-the-hp-prime!/, however i thought that the goal of hacking the HP Prime would be greatly aided by the technological expertise here at Cemetech.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, post them here!
Hi,

I used to spend a lot of time programming my HP48 when I was a student.

I wrote a small multitasking OS in asm called "ShellOS" back in 1996, it was released here : http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/apps/shell/

I now am the CEO and lead dev of a video game company, I am well versed in C/asm/ARM, system programming, tools and also hardware (my curriculum)

I do not own yet an HP Prime, but I'm thinking about buying one, I would use it a mobile programming device, I would typically like to replace the original OS with something better suited to my use.
Hooray!
I'm glad you're interested!

Also,
welcome to Cemetech, stephc_int13! If you feel so inclined, why not introduce yourself here: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4925
I'm coming over here from the Omnimaga thread. I would love some more technical expertise on board over there, myself.
iconmaster wrote:
I'm coming over here from the Omnimaga thread. I would love some more technical expertise on board over there, myself.
Or you could just stick around over here, since we've worked to collect the technical expertise. Wink What sort of questions can we answer for you? Are you looking to do some HP Prime programming and/or third-party OS development of your own?
Indeed, you could stick to Cemetech which is usually seen as more technically-minded than Omnimaga.

You could additionally expand the posting of your findings to TI-Planet, because for now, that's where the forefront of the lower-level Prime tinkering is: third-party firmware experiments were posted there (in English), and the Prime "hpwiki" (also exclusively in English) is hosted there as well.
Any news?
Any news?
It's been 5 years. Of course not. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours