It might just be because of my ignorance of the topic, but I can't find any info about this (probably because I don't know the right keywords). As someone who codes using ICE, and has seen the same thing with other programs using the C libraries, the fact that frames are often split across the screen is painfully obvious to me. You can see a couple examples here:

This doesn't seem to happen with other games coded natively in assembly or with C but without the libraries. The bottom left just seems to lag behind the top right. Again, I'm sure I'm just ignorant here, but if anyone knows why this happens or how to prevent it, I'd appreciate the info.
This is a side effect of how the CE hardware works. Even in TIOS, the bottom left of the LCD lags behind the top right by one frame. There is a way around it, but it would require completely rewriting the graphx library, and nobody has done so.
jacobly wrote:
This is a side effect of how the CE hardware works. Even in TIOS, the bottom left of the LCD lags behind the top right by one frame. There is a way around it, but it would require completely rewriting the graphx library, and nobody has done so.

Okay, cool. That answers my question I guess. Thanks!

Edit: I guess now I'm only wondering how one can do something like this, then (I'm acknowledging it wouldn't be possible with ICE).

Edit 2:
jacobly wrote:
There is a way around it, but it would require completely rewriting the graphx library, and nobody has done so.

Ok, nevermind. Sorry.
Pi_Runner wrote:
Edit: I guess now I'm only wondering how one can do something like this, then (I'm acknowledging it wouldn't be possible with ICE).

Well there's an option to disable (and older versions didn't support) emulation of this hardware "feature" in CEmu, which is probably where the screenshot came from.

Edit: Also, it's often difficult to notice the tear unless parts of the screen are changing color rapidly.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours