My up arrow key on my TI 84 CE is not stuck, but it wobbles and if you barely press it, it doesn't spring back up as good as the other arrow keys. Is there a way I can see a teardown or something because I do not want to risk ruining it by, for example, tearing a ribbon flex cable for the screen or something. It pops back up, but not all the way and it is so easy to press.
Please help. Thanks!
what do you mean by "wobbles" like it seems its going to come out or its just loose
It's just loose. And extremely easy to press.
Does anyone else have any suggestions? rockhouser helped, but I do really need any information possible. At least one person was able to help! Thanks Smile Maybe I will try to move the button around to see if the rubber button underneath or whatever might go back into place
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
Does anyone else have any suggestions? rockhouser helped, but I do really need any information possible. At least one person was able to help! Thanks Smile Maybe I will try to move the button around to see if the rubber button underneath or whatever might go back into place

maybe the rubber pad is just worn out when your in a menu at the bottom when you push the key does it keep going up or just goes up one item
That's an unusual issue, the springing back of the keys is just done with a rubber mat, I've got a hard time seeing how that could fail (particularly for one single key) Between the rubber mat and the actual key, there is a contact (a small piece of black material), I guess maybe that could have come loose?
I would suggest opening the calculator up and seeing what's actually going on.
Here is a diagram of the keypad buttons

I've seen instances where the rubber membrane for keypads has torn around a specific key - but that is usually from prolonged use.

This however could explain the symptoms since with no membrane integrity you wouldn't get the spring back and the button would naturally site closer to the contact, making it more sensitive for presses.

It could be something else though, do you have the capacity to take the calc apart?
I can. What's it like opening it up? I do not have a warranty but if I hold it upside down when separating the calc, would I rip the ribbon cable for the screen or something if I seperate the calc after unscrewing it?
nah if your carefull, take pics of the inside if the calc as you go to have guide puting it back together
I also have done prolonged use to the arrow keys in my ICE game development.
TimmyTurner62 wrote:
I can. What's it like opening it up? I do not have a warranty but if I hold it upside down when separating the calc, would I rip the ribbon cable for the screen or something if I seperate the calc after unscrewing it?

TLM just whipped up a tutorial on how to open up a CE, here is a link.
The LCD shouldn't just fall out and hang from the ribbon cable if you open it up without throwing it across the room Laughing
I just saw that! Hallelujah Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours