We've expected it to work for a while, but I finally got around to doing it. Turns out the V2.0x TI-81s will in fact accept a TI-82 LCD (and probably a TI-83's as well). The contrast steps are pretty harsh since there's only 10 instead of 40, but it usually works well enough.

I'll do it again with a better LCD and probably make it permanent.
Awesome!
Do you intend on trying to fix the missing lines on this one?
mr womp womp wrote:
Awesome!
Do you intend on trying to fix the missing lines on this one?

That TI-82 display is a lost cause; the original 81 display is flawless, but has that miserable contrast. My original (18.0) TI-82 died, and its screen may not be missing columns. I've been working too hard with my academics to finish this project, but all the parts are bagged and ready to get assembled.
Looks cool!
An 83 LCD would be awesome on a TI-81 - you'd completely get rid of the contrast issues.
May I ask:
1. How is the current LCD "temporarily" attached?
2. Do you think that an early 85 LCD would fit well on the earlier TI-81?
Pi Time wrote:
2. Do you think that an early 85 LCD would fit well on the earlier TI-81?

I doubt it would because the LCD controller is different on TI-85s.
mr womp womp wrote:
I doubt it would because the LCD controller is different on TI-85s.

That's right - I also forgot to consider that the 81 display is 32 pixels shorter.
This is some real Frankenstein level stuff!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours